And so it has begun.

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Dark Elf, Oct 17, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Okay, here's a thing I want to share with all of you. I'm sure that it will mark me down in history as an utterly incompetent imbecile and as a person quite unable to ever produce anything resembling a decent Arcanum mod, but these ramifications aside, I just felt the need to exclaim that HOT DAMN, WHY THE HELL IS WORLDED SO DISAGREEABLE WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING SOMETHING AS SEEMINGLY TRIVIAL AS A NICE SANDY BEACH LOOK GOOD?

I thank the audience for listening.

2. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

it is because the worlded is marked by grid lines, and you cannot create terrain in a way that makes it look natural. i usually use rocks, trees, plants, and other props to try and make it look better.

3. Dark Elf

Media:
    I want a portion of the big island city to have a nice beach, using the two beach tilesets to make it look like a real beach and not one that's got a brown rocky rim against the ocean. I've found that it's next to impossible to limit this to only part of the island without making it look wonky.

I'll either scrap the idea or make a smaller island with a beach all around it connected to the main island by a bridge.

4. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Dark Elf, I dont know what exacly you mean about this beach (my english skills are generaly bad and even worse after midnight). But if you wanna make some sandy ground what is connected with water and at the same time with some brown ground or any kind of nowater ground, there is a way. You can try use CTRL button when conectting two kinds of sand: WaterSand and LandSant. For better explanation, open WorldEd and make this experiment.
    Put on some grass some watter. Than put some GroundSand next to your water and put some WaterSand in to your water. Than press CTRL and easy conect this two kinds of sand using any sand. If you are making a City Island, you can round all your City by beach using CTRL method.

scheme:

ground
    --------------------------------------------------
    ground sand
    ground or water sand (paited using CTRL)
    water sand
    water

If you want to have beach only in some part of island, you have to just experiment with CRTL and some objects what can hide bad connecting with rocky ground.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh, I know about the CTRL+Click stuff. I'll look into using objects to hide the bad connecting though, like mountains.

Thanks.

6. Mr Frost

Mr Frost New Member

Any news on your module Dark Elf? I've been looking for a new module to play for quite some time now... now that i think about it i've been looking for any custom content to add to the games experience period. There is a giant void when it comes to custom content.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    The project is currently at a standstill. I predict a 5% chance that it will ever come out.

8. Mr Frost

Mr Frost New Member

wow, thats a bummer. well i wish you luck with your project and who knows perhaps you may end up completing it one day.

Our Host!