Advice needed from someone good with computers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solaris, May 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Here's a problem. Me and my roomies share the net connection through a local network (the leading comp is not mine). Yesterday they have installed a firewall on the leading comp- and I started having problems with both Messenger programms I use- the MSN Messenger and the AIM (AOL) one. I sign in without any problem, I do manage to exchange a few messages with my net buddies- but then after a minute or two it disconnects. Can anyone figure out what exactly is the problem and how to fix it?
    P.S. Oh and does anyone know which port does MSN Messenger use by default to connect?

2. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

I don't know a lot about computers. But I do know that should be "My Roomies and I", or better yet "Right Said Fred and Frankie goes to Hollywood". See how much your sentence is improved when it reads:

"Here's a problem. Right Said Fred and Frankie goes to Hollywood share the net connection through a local network (the leading comp is not mine). "

Now, it seems that you know (and possibly are friended to) two minor Early-90's pop groups. While this doesn't solve your problem, it does make you seem slightly cooler.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Wow what a reply. How very correct and absolutely useless. If you didn't say you weren't good in computers I would be convinced you were a Microsoft employee.

4. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

*bows* I live to serve.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Hehe. I had a call from a Microsoft employee at work the other day doing a survey as to what systems and setup our college uses for it's network. He was just trying to explain why Microsoft software was so much better when he broke off and started swearing. He's been running windows and his computer had crashed and he got the blue screen of death!! :lol:

6. Milo

Milo New Member

AIM is too sexy for your firewall. The firewall needs to relax! Don't do it! When it wants to come. BTW, thanks ALOT, Oct for getting those horrible songs stuck in my head.

Anyway, I'm no networking guru, so all I can think of is to check your permissions. Although I would think that if the firewall were actively blocking those programs, it wouldn't let them connect at all. Or maybe they're (your buddies) are using some kind of packet shaping or some shit. Not too sure what that is exactly, but I've heard of university nets using it to block P2P traffic. Rather than just outright blocking it, the traffic seems to go through for a few seconds or so, then gets throttled back to nothing.

All in all, your best bet is to bug your friends into fixing the problem. They set it up, make them fix it for you.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well so far I found a temporary solution- just uninstalled that nasty firewall off my roomy's comp. He'll be VERY surprised when he finds out :lol:

8. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

If you think that's bad, Imagine how bad things are for Solaris, he has to live with them. Can you imagine what it's like to wake up, go for a shower but Frankie goes to Hollywood has used all the hot water?

You want to watch Have I got News for You, but Right Said Fred are using the television in some alternative comedy skit.

Oh, and it gets worse, Suddenly Right Said Fred announce they're inviting Hot Butter and Kraftwerk over for a "jammin'" session in YOUR bedroom! Then you find yourself curled up outside your flat and slowly crying yourself to sleep because your abode's been infested with minor pop groups. *shakes head* poor Solaris...

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, here's what you do...

1. Buy a router or switch with a built-in firewall, one that uses NAT (pretty common these days I think).
    2. Plug everything into the router/switch.
    3. Set up a private network (i.e. use the reserved IP address space of 192.168.xxx.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0)
    4. Make your gateway the address of the router/switch.
    5. Said router or switch should come with software to control it. Use it to finetune your connections when necessary.

Problem should be solved!

Our Host!