A stimulating way to play the game?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by enq, Apr 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I don't usually end up going to Castle S'nel N'fa, as I don't max spot traps - between the flow spektrometer and sense hidden it's perhaps the most useless skill - and if I remember rightly it's one of those locations that doesn't just appear on the map if you get close enough like most do, unless I'm just talking rubbish as per usual? Other than that, it is a nice character point saving alternative.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re:

No, you're correct. It's either getting the location from the spot trap master or meta-gaming and going to the exact coordinates on the world map.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Most of the minutes saved by learning teleport involve getting to the castle.
    I.e.,
    1) Grabbing the Helm of Yzar's cost, if you don't have PE>11
    2) using a spot trap scroll to learn expert spot traps from... um... ogdin in BR.
    3) using another scroll to talk to the Spot Trap master in Tarant.
    4) pickpocketing the evil magick store owner in Tarant for a teleport scroll.
    5) teleporting to the castle.
    6) turn-based, body of air, gung ho blitz of the castle (along the right hand wall).
    7) a bulky weapon with poor damage but unlimited teleports.

OR
    1) five skill points in conveyance.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re:

If one would to go to such lengths to get the staff, I'd say looking up the coordinates of Castle S'nel N'fa the Internet and going there directly would be less of a cheating approach, not to mention how far less convoluted.

As opposed to the learned teleport spell, the staff doesn't use up any fatigue points. There's also the prestige of possessing one of only two custom weapons with a magick complexity of 100.

You're confusing the war veteran with the half-ogre from the isle of Despair.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Right, thanks.

I still think it's easier to just learn the spell and spend the fatigue. It's only useful out of combat anyway, a short rest is all it takes to negate the effects.

Also, you can only have the free teleport spell from the staff in your shortcut menu if you're holding the staff. I'm used to the convenience of a teleport shortcut even while shapechanging, or using a decent weapon. With the staff, it eventually adds up to more mouse-clicks per teleport.

Admittedly, I always play with a glut of character points, and the staff is an awesome artifact if you want to save CPs.

Our Host!