A problem....on a Crash Cite

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sofokl, Jan 14, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I wouldn't advice doing that. Even though he'd ingest the same amount of alcohol, since it would be far too concentrated for his system to deal with, he'd hardly get drunk at all.

Therefore, my good Doctor, I prescribe drinking a lot more. Preferably the same amount you drink when you drink wine or something like it.

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Oh, I didn't know that. Glad you informed him and me, so I won't go around recommending it to other people, and to him so he'll at least get drunk.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Then, I'll take out some wine and a nice book instead.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Don't even think about drinking medical alcohol.

Yes, some sweet wine and a book/anime/movie/game will nicely do.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Alright, do you guys think that I'm so stupid that I would drink medical alcohol? Geeez.

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

If you have access to it, why wouldn't you drink it?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because now I know that you actually can die if you drink it. At least get very very sick.

8. mathboy

mathboy New Member

That's kind of true for all alcohol. It just depends on how much you drink.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, yeah but, we're talking medical alcohol, the strongest of the strongest.

10. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Which just means you have to drink less.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

12. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

You swedes are capable of some really boring conversations.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Isopropyl alcohol is one of many different alcohols unfit for human consumption.
    Rubbing alcohol is never good for consumption.
    Only ethanol is safe, and then only if it isn't pure.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I knew it! You actually can die of it. What alcohol is it that you must pour throu a loaf before drinking it?

16. Grossenschwamm

Pharmacy Ethyl Alcohol.
    Sailors in WW2 would get it from the medical units on the ships, and strain it through a loaf of bread to get rid of the denaturing elements.
    If you don't do that, the alcohol has a severely bitter taste. It's actually a highly effective disenfectant, but again, you must wash your hands thoroughly after handling it, because if you grab something to eat before washing your hands of the denaturing compounds, you'll be eating alcohol stabilizers.
    Methanol, or wood alcohol, is the most dangerous of all alcohols. It's got the smallest molecular structure, so if you simply touch it with bare skin, you can be poisoned. What's more, is that when it's in your body, like most things, it goes through your liver. Unfortunately, when its broken down, it becomes formaldehyde. The presence of formaldehyde in your body can cause blindness and death.
    Isopropyl can be consumed, but it's not a good idea. Think of the worst case of food poisoning you've ever had, and...there you go.

17. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

That's right, but be sure: there are many people who drink it often and have survived! :drunk:
    And as for ethanol, just pour the same amount of water, and you will almost get the favorite Russian drink!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, the liver is going to be devastated if you drink much alcohol, and especially those alcohols that are not meant for human beings.

19. Grossenschwamm

You seem to be forgetting the part about formaldehyde. Drinking methanol causes irreversible brain damage as a direct result of the newly formed formaldehyde in your blood stream. If these people aren't blinded, they're well on their way. Or half-retarded.

20. mathboy

mathboy New Member

If they drink enough ethanol before the methanol is made into formaldehyde, their bodies break down the ethanol and the methanol passes right through. I've heard drunks sometimes say they have drunk methanol to get to an hospital and be treated with ethanol, don't know if it's true though.

Our Host!