a little lost, a little confused

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Shota Shernokavich, Mar 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

So far I have scrapped 4 projects. I keep thinking of new ideas, and stopping the ones I'm working on. I've gone from a sequel to a patch to a revision to a prequel. i just scrapped the prequel :S

I'm thinking maybe I should make a prequel where you play during the time Arronax and Nasrudin are having that war.

Any ideas?

Here are some facts -

- I have 3 years to work on it
    - There will be a dungeon master :) (unoriginal i know)
    - It will be on the main arcanum map. as in im editing the actual arcanum module.
    - I'm leaning towards making a prequel, but my opinion is easily changed

Edit: Spelling and Grammar.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Just a thought - maybe you should try to limit your scope a bit? You're going to make a prequel using the entire existing Arcanum map, but set in the Age of Legends, which is a gargantuan task. For it to be believable, you will have to replace each and every NPC, write a fresh storyline with all the required scripting and probably reconstruct the architecture of every nook and cranny. I certainly don't mean to attack your pride or anything, but even if you have three years to do it, are you truly sure that you'll be able put in the sheer amount of manhours required to do all this?

3. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Doing something like this may be believable now, but more than likely you will need help. It will speed up the process and make it a lot easier. And if you intend to make a prequel, you'll need to re-work the spells and tech diciplines to make it as true to the Age of Legends as possible.

4. Shota Shernokavich

Ok. Ok... let's see..

Maybe i could make an arcanum but starting at the year of 1875? arbalah's family is still alive, brehgo is still alive, virgil is still a bandit, the crash site doesn't exist, bessie toon is still alive, maybe i could have a destructive civil war happening in cattan (which would explain why it wasn't visitable in stock arcanum) but that seems like it would only take around a year, and theres not really enough that would be changed.

5. wayne-scales

Far more simple. You could just leave things as they are, and just create an alternate storyline:

Different starting point.
    Different quest.
    Alternate Virgil.

It could be happening simultaneously to the main game.

You'd have to redo nearly all scripting and dialogue, but, for the most part, the towns and NPCs could be left where they are.

6. Shota Shernokavich

Yea, it looks good, but i wanted something a little bigger. Well ill just keep brainstorming :p

so far i have

- prequel: clan wars
    - prequel: war of thorns
    - expansion: make cattan, add cities, etc..
    - making a huge quest line out of the gnome conspiracy and whatnot
    - a war between the elves and dark elves erupts, glimmering forest is nearly torn apart
    - a new continent is found to the west
    - morhibian orc tribes band together and attack ashbury, and tarant

etc...

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Clan Wars sounds very interesting. The only thing I'd warn for is that 99% of it would be spent underground, but hey, if you make some really innovative caves... :)

8. wayne-scales

I think the prequel idea is a good one, but there'd be a lot of changes involved. The starting year, for example, would have to be changed. Vendigroth rebuilt, magic made more powerful, etc.

Some of the core elements of that game would have to be altered, and that's no simple task.

9. Shota Shernokavich

those both sound like they would be really fun, but i need some time to think about it. i don't wanna go straight into a project then realize I'm not really into it, halfway through.

something that i definitely want to do is add at least 25 more locations to the map. It's a bit empty.

Our Host!