A few unclarities

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Ruda, Apr 5, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I've just finished another playthrough, but this time I decided to be as thorough as possible. There were, however, a few things that left me a bit unsatisfied to say the least. For anyone who hasn't finished the game, there are major spoilers ahead. I apologize if posts of this nature are more appropriate at the discussion section, but if so I'm sure a moderator could move it.

I'm wondering about the conspiracy quest. It's not about the lack of an ending; as far as I've gathered it hasn't got one. My problem is that I think I've somehow skipped parts of the quest. The quest begins with either Benjamin Gershwin asking you to find the skulls or Thom Grak asking you to find Sir Matt. Taking the skulls to Gershwin seems to result in a dead end, so I did the Grak quest and helped Matt instead. So far nothing's been missed, right?

Having taken the skulls to Matt, he tells you to take them to Tyron in Blackroot. Tyron isn't there, but he has left a note saying "The crow is in danger". Here, I'm lost. Neither Matt nor Gershwin are able to help you and the note itself doesn't lead anywhere. Instead I simply stumble upon Tyron in Caladon, having almost forgotten about the quest. From there on everything is clear. Tyron takes the skulls and sends you to an island where you pick up a book. You go back and there is a (cigarette smoking) gnome in Tyron's house revealing part of the mystery. After that there seems to be little left to do. The book from the island can be sold to a "reporter" but then it's over.

Now obviously something must have been missed. Tyron's note seemed to have nothing whatsoever to do with the quest but that can hardly be true. How are one actually supposed to find him?

There are also two mastery quests that have both left me rather puzzled. Pierce the Bowmaster in Blackroot asks you to find his student Dudley whom he last saw somewhere to the north. The only major city north of Blackroot is as you all know Tarant, but I can find no trace of young Dudley there. Instead I cluelessly stumble upon him in Dernholm, south of Blackroot. And, although he's just a random guard, my character immediately recognizes him despite there being little reason for me to do so. Again, there seems I've missed a clue somewhere.

The second mastery quest I'm wondering about is the one involving Dr Edmund Craig the Backstabber. The problem here is just the same as the one before. He's gone into hiding, I find almost no clues as to his whereabouts but simply stumble upon him in Roseborough, where I (much to my own surprise) recognize the good doctor. The only clue I can find is a newspaper saying that a famous physician has been murdered, accusing his protogé Edmund to be the culprit. The article confirms that he has run off and gives you a few details about the murder, but it doesn't say where he is and it doesn't (as far as I can tell) lead anywhere else. What have I missed?

Mr Fitzgerald in Tarant claims to be "legendary" in "certain circles". Which circles might those be? Is he involved in the conspiracy? Also, what's up with his "Potion of Darker Power"? I get the feeling I'm there is a quest here...

Where might I find the Westrel Military Academy for Promising Young Men?

I had a few more queries but I can't remember them at this hour. Anyhow, if someone could clear these unclarities I'd be much appreciative.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Nothing you've missed, Tyron's note simply refers to the fact that he's gone into hiding - as far as I'm aware there aren't anymore clues that point to him being in Caladon. I guess the game could have been a bit clearer as to why he went there specifically, but unfortunately it's not! You can also resolve this quest by giving the skulls to Gershwin then stealing/forcefully taking them back for Sir Matt after Grak's quest.

You find Dudley again at the ruins where the mastery quest resolves (which are north of Blackroot), to find them talk to Pierce again in Caladon - he's in the Inn waiting area I seem to remember. I didn't realise that Dudley was also a guard in Dernholm, I guess Pierce presumes he has set off for the quest already when he gives you it in Blackroot.

You haven't missed anything (apart from maybe some rumours you can ask for in Roseborough - I'm not sure), Roseborough is simply where he went into hiding. I'd also make sure to save it before you ask for training from him - I would tell you why but that would defeat the purpose.

He's the spot traps skill master - so you'll only get the quest if your spot traps skill is high enough. His Potion of Dark Power is simply one of the items the Thieves' Underground wants you to steal and sell to their fence - there's nothing particularly exciting about it.

For this last one I have no idea - I think it's one of those locations that's mentioned but not actually in the game. Where did you hear about it as that might jog my memory if it is in the game?

3. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Thanks a lot for the replies. A shame that every one of them were disappointing. Oh well, I shouldn't complain.

The military academy with the fancy name is the one mentioned in Merwin Tumblebrook's background description. It's supposed to be located in Tarant but as far as I can see Tarant only has a university with four professors (counting the dead guy at the ruins). It's a wonder that the technology has moved forward at all, considering that at least two of them are halfwit pseudo-scientists...

They probably did the same thing with Tarant as was done in Fallout's the Hub. Making the place a lot smaller than it would be but still giving the impression of a large city. That would be a great mod, come to think of it. Increase the size of Tarant to an enormous metropolis. Just don't ask me to do it.

4. Jojobobo

Ah, well in that case it doesn't exist, sorry again! Though a lot of the details I've responded about aren't as embellished as they could have been, I think the sheer number of quests you do get is quite nice - I guess it's one of those bittersweet compromises and indicative of the game's age.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Are you sure? This was the first time I heard of Dudley being at the Ruins so, intrigued, I tried to recreate this meeting, to no avail.

6. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I haven't met Dudley in the ruins either, nor did I know that you could procede with Pierce's quest without finding and talking to Dudley in Dernholm.

Perhaps he shows up in the ruins if the player couldn't find him earlier?

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Tried that earlier, didn't result in finding Dudley at the Ruins.

8. Jojobobo

I thought he was there dead somewhere, isn't he? Maybe I'm getting this confused with something else though.

9. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

Hah! I guess this means that Dudley isn't the dead guy at the stone quarry then. Because that would've been my guess.

10. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Ah, I just remembered a question I had.
    Is Elder Joachim a possible follower or was he originally supposed to be one, seing as he has a leveling scheme of his own.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

He is not a possible follower.

Can't say whether or not was it intended to be one at any stage.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Fair bit of effort to give him a leveling scheme, voice acting and only a couple lines of dialogue.

Our Host!