40 Year Old Arcanum (Really)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Apr 27, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In the latter part of the 1960's, I stumbled across a pair of books that were the first and third volumes of a series called Arcanum.

These had been published a few years earlier and were most likely the first and last books in a short-lived series.

But get this - In a manner that's not too different than the game of Arcanum, it too mixed the various races - human, elf, dwarf, and so forth - but it's setting was in the modern era (early 60's). Space-age technology met arcane magic with some interesting results. It even one character who was a foul-mouthed version of the one in the game. Magnus!

The first novel (and I can't recall the title - Something Road) showed a mixed group in and standing beside a jeep.

Has anyone else ever heard of this series, or know of someplace besides the obvious Google, Amazon, and explorer searches? They have been abosolutely no help.

2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Would this be related to it?

If not, who was the publisher, author, etc?

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

If it was privately published, or the publisher is now defunct info could be hard to come by. At a guess I'd say that it was most likely a series that was published in a fantasy magazine and later collected and bound. This was a fairly common practice at the time.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maximus: Sorry, but no cookie. Although the article didn't have any cover art, I suspect it is of a similar genre. As for me remembering any other details; don't get your hopes up. I was a boy when I read those, and have almost completely forgotten any and all the details, including main storyline, publisher, author, and publishing date. Thanks for looking though.

Richard: You're probably right, although, I have noticed over the years that publishers routinely begin new series several times a year that soon disappear if they don't become majorly successful.

Also, during the fifties, (exact year escapes me) The Lord of the Rings was first published. Looking back, I'd be willing to bet that Arcanum was a last-gasp attempt to milk just a little more out of; what was by then; a fading interest.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Hmm? an Arcanum book series? I may have to look into this... it could be interesting... hit up some half-priced book stores, and set out a search for such things... Any idea how many of the books were published, or no?

6. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I've heard about this before... I even think that I've seen some of those books in my local library. I'll go check that out today after school.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Guys, if you happen to find anything, let me know. I'd be eternally grateful. Just remember, these were first published in the 1960's.

Although, any new series of Arcanum would be welcome as well.

And Darkfool: I only know of three; as I had volumes one and three back then. Beyond that, I don't know.

Happy hunting!

8. Vorak

Arcanum

I don't think that this is it, further research seems to point to this book being about a gunslinging detective.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A quick check of my own says you are right. Thanks for letting know, though.

10. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I don't think these are from the 60s but they are called Arcanum and feature a man in a green hood who looks suspiciously like the guy on the box.

http://www.fredknoz.com/arcanum.jpg

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those look to be fairly recent due to the art style. But thanks. I'll check one or two out and see if they are worth mentioning to the others here.

Might give the modders some new ideas. :)

12. reQuieM

reQuieM New Member

Heh, that's my problem with modding. I can make all the stuff, but I just never have any good ideas.

13. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Well stick around, we've got more than we know what to do with here.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just a few suggestions:

Favorite movies, TV show episodes, novels, comic books, real life.

All these and more are available for scenarios to those who can imagine how they would handle a given situation.

The fun part is trying to adapt one to the world of Arcanum. Enjoy!

15. reQuieM

reQuieM New Member

Dammit I had a nearly finished mod, but I thought I was done with Arcanum for ever so I deleted it... And that was like a month or so ago.

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Well, that feggin' sucks. The most I do at a time is fudge around with the protos in the game. I never get anywhere, so I just end up modifying SNES roms on my "thang".

17. Vorak

I went to play my original SNES the other day and someone had taken the cords. Needless to say I was not happy. (Anger toned down for younger users).

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

You know what's weird about that? Those SNES cords are the SAME EXACT THING as the Gamecube cords.
    And, if you have a Nintendo with an A/V port, the cord works there too.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our Host!