marty the skankin pickle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sleek_Jeek, Oct 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Ska...

1. sucks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. rocks!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. whats the heck is ska?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

does anyone here listen to ska? matt thorn/silvio, i dont care about your awesome local bands. but seriously does anyone here listen to ska? my buddy at the university of california santa barbara anaged to get an hour and a half slot on the college radio station doing a ska radio show and he wants me to find some bands for him (i've got the most musical knowledge/wisdom of almost all of my friends when it comes to undergrounds bands) except i dont know of too many ska bands other than the aquabats, suburban legends, real big fish, save ferris, phish bone, and your basic not so well known variety of ska bands.

so yeah, thats not enough for a radio show, i did a search on kazaa but i only found about 5 more bands... so any help would be appreciated, especially from our foreign friends (findg some aussie, or czech, or norwegian ska bands would be awesome) so any help would be appreciated.

the reason i'm doing this is that my friend is afraid to download mp3s because he lives on campus and some people have already been caught and sued in the UC system, so i'm going to put together a few nice big .zip files to send to him over aim so he can actually get them on the radio without having to worry about having his life ruined by the riaa.

2. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

I used to be big on Less Than Jake, they're a good band, anything off the album "Losing Street" they're also my favorite band of the said genre and I don't much like it anyway.

The Dropkick Murphies are a staple of Ska and I'm not sure if your friend wants only indie stuff, but the Mighty Mighty Bosstones would probably earn a play or two.

The Specials are a really old skaband, I think their song "Rudy" was really popular.

As an end show joke, he should play "Ska sucks" The song has been done by lots of people but my favorite version is from Propagahndi.

Also I think the band "Snuff" is from Ireland and they are ska.

Goodluck on finding stuff lemme know if you want more specific examples.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Dunno whether they're ska or not, but try Area 7, an Aussie band. Other than that, I don't know any ska bands - I don't listen to the radio anymore, and I think most new stuff these days blows.

4. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

went to a concert once where this band 'Sobriquet' did an 2 1/2 or 3 hr show. Don't know if you can find anything by them but they are definitely ska-ish.

5. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

I used to be mildly into ska, but it's been a while. Hm. Specials are integral. Skatalites, Skablins, Skapokolips Cow. The last one will be really hard to find. If he's going for a serious radio show, maybe he should do a search for Skia, that which came before Ska. It's like halfway between Ska and Reggae. Skia is a British style from the 70s-early 80s. When it returned to the US, it became Ska.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

thanks a lot everyone, i've basically heard of everyone except for the bands suggested by jarinor and RPJunkie, (well, and skapokolips cow, wtf?)(oh, and i'd never heard of snuff either, so thanks eeb!)

no web radio for my buddy though, if they ever do get web radio set up down there i'll tell yall. thanks a bunch!

7. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

actually, SLeek, most of the local bands around here suck.... there are a few good ones, but I just enjoy listening to the local scene...

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

So wait, I'm confused. What does Marty the Skankin Pickle mean? Is it the ska band in question, and are you wondering if they are good or not? Or are you randomly submitting the names for bad spinoffs of Spongebod Squarepants?

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

skanking is how you dance to ska music... marty is just a random name i tagged on to the band name "skankin pickle" (a ska band) ust for the sake of having a semi-relevant title for this thread :D

[​IMG]

their album cover from skankin pickle fever...

[​IMG]

their album cover from "ska funk rasta punk"

<edit> you might not be able to see the album covers at first... i found if you click "show picture" for the bottom one and then the top one it shows them faster... weird, but it worked for me

Our Host!