My Arcanum mini-expansion was mentioned in IGN.com

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by chrisbeddoes, Aug 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

http://pc.ign.com/articles/435/435480p1.html

It is near the bottom of the first page.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Consider yourself honored then, oh almighty master of Arcanum modding!

Guess I've got to download and try one of your mods someday...

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i always thought it was skewed in favor of magick users...

<edit> ok, someone above me edited their post, which this one was in response to. someone said something about the hard arcanum thingy fixing the games original bias towards tech users. which is riciculous because magick users have harm/fireball/purity of water/disintegrate etc. while tech users have an eually hard time figuring out which guns NOT to use, and finding the schematics for the nes that are actually useful.

4. Balint

Balint New Member

It's a great balancing mod, Chris, while the carefuly chosen extra items and perks provide further richness to the game.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

EVERYONE START THE CHANT!

CHRIS YOU ROCK, CHRIS YOU ROCK, CHRIS YOU ROCK!

*cue millions of screaming teenage girls becomeing convinced Beddoes loves them and trying to maul him

Dude, that is AMAZING! I was beginning to think that the higher powers didn't even know what Arcanum is!

BTW, since I bumped into you, do you know a good guy for graphics? I want to make my own expansion, which includes new weapons, but a sword that looks like a snake with a pole in it's ass doesn't seem to appeal to me. So do you know anyone who can make Arcanum quality graphics?

6. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Chris, I believe that your next mod(if there is one) should contain something for techies to counter the Teleportation spell. Some thing simple like perhaps a bicycle, or maybe a spider that you could ride to travel only! Another thought I had was exoskeleton armor-added protection of high quality armor w/ increased strength and mobility!?

P.S. - I thought hard-arcanum was aptly named :)

7. Balint

Balint New Member

No offense meant--and this is just my opinion--but some of the initial attraction I found for Arcanum when it first came out was the fact that the technocrat and magical paths were somewhat asynchronous. They didn't exactly mirror one another. Spells were more diverse, but you could build up over time such an arsenal of tech-based ammunition that it put the fatigue limitations of spellcasters to shame (even with staves). And it's much easier to get followers to use tech weapons than to fire off combat spells and strategically judge which spell is appropriate at any given moment in battle. -Flaws of the AI, I know, but still a fact of the game that puts spellcasters at a disadvantage in battle.

Not that I'm waving a banner reading O Poor Spellcasters. ;) But Chris has done a great job of balancing technocrats with spellcasters in other ways rather than by copying spells. I'm especially pleased with all the new, heavy items he's provided that reward the well-muscled techncrat.

So what am I suggesting, instead? How about some middle-to-low range specs for a Dimensional Containment Unit (ie, a technocrat Bag of Holding)? The technocrat's need to constantly manage inventory space is one of the most annoying aspects of playing that path. I don't know if it can be done in Arcanum, but I'd like to see a DCU whose size grows as your technical skill does, and which manages a full-sized inventory with a very minor increase in weight. Just a thought.

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Hmm, what about a Dungeon Siege style approach? Making arachnids and automatons being able to carry stuff? Or giving Dog an inventory?

9. josh86

josh86 New Member

that sounds like a good plan, i would definetly download it, because my biggest problem has always been not having enough room to carry everything i need.

10. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

RPjunkie and Josh86 the features that you ask already exist.

There are runes and stones of teleportation.They require the use of inexpensive items and they can return you to Tarrant , Caladon and Quintarra.
    Just bind to the stones first.

Also there is a room that has 3 free containers and this room is accesible from 10 cities in Arcanum and in the void.(but not teleportation.From the city you came to this city you will return)So you can go to Shrouded Hills put your staff into the containers in the room and go to Tarrant and access the same room with the 3 containers add take staff then go to black root and do the same also in Caladon and other locations.
    Since a container can have as much staff as 6 followers you can have in this room as much stuff as 18 followers can.

Enjoy.

11. Solaris

Solaris New Member

It still doesn't make it any easier for us to loot the rich dungeons when our equipment is already heavy when we enter. I think the request was for a MOBILE carrier, that could take some weight on itself during travels and battles.
    Why can't there be a steam powered car, or at least a carriage pulled by a couple of arachnids? :lol:

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That would be the strategy part of the game. Don't start looting with severe encumbrence! You have such easy access to the storage area, just put the stuff you won't need right away in there and save them for later.

13. Balint

Balint New Member

Well, yes; but as much can be said for maintaining the difficulty of any action, you know. ;) Why not leave muscular technocrats without the heavy bonus items Chris has added? If magical types have certain advantages in the unmodded game, it's because it's part of the developers' attempt to force you to adopt a certain strategic mode of thinking. ;)

For the record, I'm not seriously suggesting the above. I like what Chris has done. I'm only offering my suggestion, a transportable bag of holding for technocrats, as one kind of item for Chris to potentially consider. If he feels it overbalances the game, that's fine with me, too. He's the mod developer, after all, and I'm not. :)

14. josh86

josh86 New Member

I still think that there should be some kind of mobile carrier, especially since i don't know how to get to these rooms that you described. :???: Why not make it something tha has to be assembled? Just a question. and oh, by the way, my armor weighs a lot, and my strength isn't that high, so basically just picking up anything encumbers me, so i have to get sogg to carry most of my stuff, but whats the point? I mean, seriously? and what am i talking about?

15. Balint

Balint New Member

Assembly's a nice idea. Perhaps with a series of quests, each of which leaves you at its successful conclusion with an extra part of the DCU.

16. blazer2002

blazer2002 New Member

why you didnt create a new follower and name it chris and voice it? it would be nice and cool :)

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Very true. I would actually like to see one, if only as a testament to chris' modding genius. In my time delving through the dat files I have never seen any sort of inventory, although that's not to say that none exists.

18. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

There is a merchant named chris that sells nice guns in Tarant.

But not in the usual shops.

As for voicing a follower.

That would cost 3-4 mbytes.Not cool for just 1 follower.

19. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge New Member

Dialup sissies! :p

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i agree... even if i still had dialup i dont think i'd mind adding an extra 20 minutes to a download thats already going to take about 4 and a half hours...

you could make the character a freebie, and completely useless in any way other than a pack horse type for carrying shizzle for the player character. you could add a quest or two based around the chrisbeddoes character as well... that could be humorous... especially if it involved a few more terra-arcanum forum inspired characters... hell this could be a whole module, not just a patch for hard arcanum.

Our Host!