Reloaded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Demosthenes, May 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Wow. Well that just about seals it for me. My general apathy and posts like that have led me to decide to wait till it comes out on television. I probably could get the whole plot just from this thread, and all the best action shots from the trailers, so I'm satisfied. God the Matrix is such a bore.

Went to see X2 again today. It was a thing of joy, and wholly worth the time spent looking for a parking spot. Might even see it again next week just for Nightcrawler's big scene. He's such a sweetheart! :heart:

2. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I *LOVE* Nightcrawler. He's too cute for words. I mean, ya know, aside from Wolvie who's just hotter than hot.

Anyway, Canis, trust me, there are more fighting scenes in the Matrix than what's in the previews. It is more openly philosophical than the previous one, but it's still not as bad as MANY anime movies I've seen.... :/

3. Canis

Canis New Member

You know, I really think Alan Cumming is even more adorable as Nightcrawler then he is normally, without all the makeup. That's how adorable Nightcrawler is.

I've never really gotten into the whole anime thing. Maybe that's why i'm bored with the Matrix. I liked it the first time I saw it because it seemed new and fresh and everyone just went WHOA along with Keanu, and because at the time of the viewing I didn't consider the silliness of using humans as a source of energy. (Clouds blocking the Sun? Go ABOVE THE FREAKING CLOUDS!!!)

Hey! I didn't realize Alan Cumming was in Titus! (a.k.a. The Film That Drove Anthony Hopkins Insane) One of the few DVDs I own, too. I'll just have to watch it again, won't I now.

I don't mind a little kung phooey once in a while but the Matrix sequels seem to have it in over-abundance. I like, say, a Jackie Chan film once in a while, but he's funny and doesn't take everything so seriously. The Matrix, well, takes itself way too seriously. It's cutting-edge, it's a pop culture phenomenon, it's High Philosophy, it's martial art at its most stylish.... Enough with it already. And making two movies at once just makes the middle one seem more unimportant, like an afterthought. We know this isn't the end of it all, so why should we care?

Yes I know I probably should see the stupid thing before criticizing it, but it probably won't be on basic cable for a year or more and I just felt like venting now.

EDIT: Jesus, he was the crazy emperor Saturninus, too! I'll have to add that to my List of Obvious Things I Totally Missed.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I seem to recall someone saying that they were originally one movie, but it would've been far too long so they broke it into two. I personally never thought that the middle movie was going to be unimportant. It was a really good movie and I'm glad there's another one coming in 6 months rather than in 2 years.

5. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

Now Titus, that's a cool movie!!!

The matrix reloaded really disappointed me. There were too many dull gaps, like the dancing scene, and even the battle scenes were too long. I'm not a fan of kung-foo and i really got bored.

The philosophy was annoying too. Probably a full sixth of the movie was spent discussing choice, and how by the time the choice appears the decision has been made.

Plus, if Neo can frigging fly, and blow up people from the inside, why does he still fight? And lose? And why doesn't he just fly away in the beginning, instead of staying in a long five minute fight which made the CGI look bad (at least relatively, it was still better than Episode II), and just bored me?

And he couldn't catch the damn door??? Seriously!

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Man, how can you not like martial arts? A great martial arts scene is a thing of beauty, to be admired and watched many times, all the while realising that you'll never be able to do it, but it's cool to watch.

7. Canis

Canis New Member

Martial arts are indeed great fun to watch, and I admire the skill of real, acomplished martial artists. Excessively fantastical, computer-enhanced kung phooey is a different thing altogether. The sort of thing you see in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Matrix doesn't really do it for me.

8. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

I found reloaded intollerable.

It seems these days that "cool" is a higher virtue to aspire to than tension, character, plot or emotion. I'm severly disappointed by this movie, on the other hand, X-Men 2 gave me an orgasm.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I found Reloaded absolutely amazing. There WAS plot to it along with the kung-fu. It was just hard to follow, which I don't mind, I like still coming up with theories about why things happened the way they did long after the movie is over. I thoroughly enjoyed the martial arts scenes. I don't think you can get as much out of such scenes unless you have taken a martial art (which I have). Even with the techno enhanced fighting, a good deal of it is still real, and you don't realize how difficult a thing like martial arts is unless you have some background with it. Now, I'm no master, but I do have a solid background in Tae-kwon do. Perhaps I'm wrong about that but this is just how it seems to me. Martial arts is just that an art, and you can't REALLY enjoy art unless you understand it. Please don't flame me because you disagree, this is just how I feel. Feel free to express your own opinion. Because of course you need my permission, I am the all powerful Phoenix. :lol:

10. Settler

Settler Member

I know the plot's just about revealed by now, but I'm about to mention the most important plot twist, so...

***SPOILERS!***

My friends and I have been debating whether Neo's encounter with the Sentinels co-incided with Bane/Smith activating the EMP early? I know it's the easy way out, but a possibility...

Anyway...I vaguely remember someone else saying this as well, but Revolutions looks like full-scale war, with the Zions (Zionists? :) ) 'recruiting' by freeing new minds. Eh? Eh?

11. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Well, you might could say that, except that Neo about passed out after that happened.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Here's my current theory about events at the end of the movie, let me know what you think.

Remember how the Architect said that there were six previous matrices, what if they didn't delete them? What if they just expanded them further? What if the world that Neo, Morpheous, Trinity, and everyone else think is real is just another matrix? That would explain why Neo could stop the Sentinels at the end of Reloaded. It also helps explain how Smith could control that guy outside of the matrix. If the matrix we're aware of is just a part of another, couldn't Neo also manipulate the other matrix as well?

13. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

I thought the first Matrix was OK, nothing less nothing more; but the second one was something else: uber bullshit. The ‘philosophical’ was hard to follow not due to its complexity, but due to the badly written arrogant script. Simple points were transformed into endless monologues (have you noticed that there wasn’t any dialogue, someone always talked their ‘great and deep’ speech and the rest just listened).
    I do like many Anime (and of course hate many), but the actions scenes were boring beyond belief (the only one that had good points was the fight between Neo and the body guard, that actor knows what he is doing). The ‘best’ was the first fight between Neo and Smiths. It was clear from the beginning that there was no point, still Neo stayed and fought. And stayed … stayed… I remember that after some hours of the fight I only watched my girlfriend making silly faces, as the film had bored us beyond belief.
    Not to mention some beautiful scenes: ‘Is there choice? Let me control that woman… see how my cake-program enters her vagina-program?’ Oh, how clever.

Since many people are also talking about X2, I would like to recommend it (at least to those who have liked the first one). It is slightly more caricaturized than the first one and gets a bit tiring close to the end. But it is still great fun. Nightcrawler is perfect (acting, make-up, SF , action scenes etc) and Mystic and Wolverine etc are great as ever! Can’t wait for the third part (apparently they want to do 5 of them).

14. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Matrix Reloaded

The Architect made sense, though. Zion, the resistance, everything couldn't have come about unless the machines made it come about. It's like a spring cleaning of the undesirables in the Matrix. When you get right down to it, without choice, the machines become the most efficient they can be. First they become like clocks, then they become like a sculpture, then they become like a ball, and then they make themselves not exist and they become most efficient. To not become more efficient is human, is chaos, is choice. Either they mimic humans to the point of becoming actual humans in the future or they become more like machines, bent on perfection.
    I got a message, no, many messages from the movie. I know I understood all the deep things, and some things I understood which the writers either didn't or chose to ignore for the sake of entertainment. My father, on the other hand, did not understand. He thinks going to see the movie again will help. I tried to explain it, but the very concepts that he's trying to comprehend threaten his acceptance of reality. To know the things I know is to know that you know nothing, and he won't be able to accept that. He'll go insane. Remember what Morpheus said about freeing a mind once it's reached a certain age? My father passed that age while he was in the marine corps. He's gonna pop if he ever finds out that the Matrix is an allegory. I'm sure he suspects that, but he doesn't feel it.

Existentialism is a waste of time, kids. Play Arcanum! It's as real as anything in life and sometimes more fun. :lol:

15. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Ok, that has GOT to be the most confusing post I have ever read.

16. Persephone

Persephone New Member

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think insanity is the way to go these days, rather than try and understand this crazy, crazy world...or maybe understanding leads to insanity?

[Insert another wanky philosophical statement on insanity/reality here]

18. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Heh

Heh.

Heh.

I haven't seen the movie yet. Heh.

19. backstabber

backstabber New Member

i've just been reloaded!!!
    i found it ok, so heres some random thoughts.
    1. the two trucks crashing into each other was good effect. i liked it.
    2. the oracle's bodyguard, who is he???(in real life)
    3.about the part where neo plucked the bullet of of trinity. i think they switched to "digital" simply because they did not have the capability to make a decent special effect about it.
    4.neo's ability to use "the force" in the pipelines suggests that the "real world" is another matrix. also this point is reinforced by the fact that the architect said zion were destroyed six times by the matrix which is impossible if zion is real and matrix is not.
    5.red pill or blue pill??? i seem to miss that scene. what the heck. where was that supposed to be???(maybe its because i was typing sms somewhere during the movie)
    6. after waiting for what seemed like the time it took for the matrix to upgrade from v.5 to v.6, i saw the trailer. pretty cool. i saw some of those door-closing-mechs holding up guns, does that mean zion is breached???
    7. the twins are cool. but couldn't they go transparent the moment morpheus burned them??? that should make them invisible.
    8. neo's first fight against smiths was stupid. why did he wait for millions of smiths to rush out before jumping???he was clearing outnumbered.
    9.hated morpheus' fight with agent on the truck.
    10.about smith. did ALL the clone smiths have the ability to infect other people or is it exclusive to the REAL smith???

20. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Everyone keeps askin my Neo fights instead of flyin off. Maybe he just felt like kickin the shit outa somethin. And I think all the Smiths can infect. Remember how more than one were doing it to Neo and Morpheus.

Our Host!