If you want to learn about the game system and setting

Discussion in 'Vampire Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, May 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

2. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Unshamfully copied from the UBER GAME creator site themshelves

TROIKA GAMES
    http://www.troikagames.com/

Bloodlines Feature at RPG Vault!

One of Troika's founding three, Leonard Boyarsky, answers several in-depth questions on the newly announced Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Read it here.
    http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/401/401056p1.html

May 5, 2003

Troika announces long awaited second project!

Today, Gamespot revealed Troika's second project, Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines for Activision. In a move sure to bring extraordinary 3D gameplay to the realm of in-depth RPG's, Troika has joined forces with Valve in order to utilize the outstanding Source engine to produce Bloodlines. The dark and sinister world of White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade is brought to "unlife" in modern day Los Angeles. Get the full story here.
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/news_6026275.html

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Those of you who have played the first Vamp game should be aware of the setting.

This opens up a whole field of disucussion.

Do we really need gun totin vampires? Why can't the devs stick to medieval times? To me, the neo vamps are all icky lookin goths. While in a medieval setting, things would definetly look different.

But then again, someone could say that it's boring, and have been chewed down on one too many times.

Here's another question that Sahin and I discussed on IRC.

How do you use the supposed vamp powers in first person mode? It will take quite a skill. Also, Sahin pointed out that it's much cooler seeing your character in 3rd person performing such things, rather than in first person.

These are just some of the things I want to ask in an interview I'm preparing.

4. Canis

Canis New Member

I know in the first game things got a little silly (or sillier) when it jumped to the modern day, but perhaps Troika will handle it better. Anyway, this is something I'm really looking forward to, and I'll probably be disappointed. L.A. is full of goth vampire wannabees, and it would be a HUGE kick to play a real vampire in the game and put the scare on them, or worse. Oh I can just imagine the possibilities....

I know. I just loved watching my (stupid, pious, ambivalently gay) vampire suck the life out of someone. :cry:

5. Dark Sorrow

Dark Sorrow New Member

My personal opinion:

This game is published by Activision, masters of licencing properties and putting them in boneheaded genres.

X-Men fighting games, A Vampire hack and slash game come to mind right off. Troika may be developing this game but it looks to be another Vampire: Redemption type game. Yawn. Vampire is about social dynamics and politics between the clans, not constant combat. Why they are making a true rpg based on Vampire then i'll care.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

How can you say that it *looks* like when so far we have seen only 1 actual screenshot from within the game? Right now, there's no telling what the game will be like. Only that it's action oriented. ( which already puts it in a very defined category)

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, I don't mind a hybrid of action and role playing. The game is already said to be 60 hours long, which is longer than most RPG's, especially more recent ones, and it's a fuck of a lot longer than most shooters. In fact, I can't think of any action game that would take you 60 hours to complete. It's also very replayable, so as long as they deliver what they promise, I'll be a very happy camper.

8. Phisch

Phisch New Member

I, for one, have faith in Troika. Having played Morrowind, I absolutely believe that a first person RPG can be an incredible experience. Morrowind is the best CRPG ever created for my money; even if Fallout still holds that place in my heart that no other game will ever occupy. I love the idea of Troika making a VTM game, in the P&P version statistics are a side note at best, the game is about dynamics and personal interaction especially the political and corporate side of the modern age vampires. The real point of the game is that the oldest of the Vampires rule the world either directly or indirectly, everything and everyone else is simply a means to an end, that’s you, the intrigue and moral ambiguity makes it the best RPG genre I’ve ever experienced. Even better than Fallout; and I love my Fallout.

9. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I agree. Fallout is an excellent game but Morrowind has been possesing a minimum of 4 hours/day for me ever since it came out. A truly magnificent game.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Vampire is gonna be quite different from Morrowind. Vamp has a VERY strong setting. While morrowind is kinda loose. Morrowind is a "free roamer" and I'm not so sure vamp is gonna be one.

11. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Well, I'm of the opinion that if anybody can do V:tM justice, it's Troika.

I never played the first vampire c-game, so I have nothing to go by, but I'm an avid white wolf tabletop, and at one time, online, RPer. It sounds great, I'm certainly intrigued. And if this Vampire game is anything like Arcanum, it will be good, even if it sucks.

12. Phisch

Phisch New Member

Jinxed: I agree completely, I more mean the nature of the environments in Morrowind. To my shock and dismay the first person engine is fantastic, this coming from an old thee quarter veteran.

I personally think Vamp will be more story driven than Morrowind, Morrowind is a setting; the best one to date. Vampire is a story driven game if you play any version, either PnP or the old Nihilistic game, there's a somewhat limited potential for it to be a "loose" story line.

Besides that the level of environment interactivity in Morrowind is impractical for a modern setting. It's not a great idea to try to make every piece of cutlery in a hotel a moveable object, people own too much stuff in the modern world. Morrowind is the best at what it does now it’s time to see a typically story driven Troika RPG be the best at what it does. All with an attractive 3D engine and some very intense combat from what I’ve seen.

Either way I'm just Giddy it's Troika doing a new game in my beloved VTM setting.

13. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I think Fallout had the best CRPG setting, but that's a different story.

14. Phisch

Phisch New Member

Certainly no one had ever set anything in a post-apocalyptic setting (certainly not Mad Max or anything). Face it the setting in Fallout wasn’t that original, it was the fifties disinformation look that made Fallout the stylistically coolest CRPG that ever did exist. OK so style and the sort of humour that just set the tone for a jaded, sarcastic people rebuilding a dead society (sort of like Mad Max).

I think Arcanum gets the gold prize for the most conceptually impressive CRPG setting, but Morrowind is without a doubt the most impressive environment I’ve ever seen, the attention to detail by the folks at Bethesda just boggles the mind. They did more to damage my view of “classic� CRPGs than anyone else has ever done.

Our Host!