Anyone know...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phoenix, May 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Robert Jordan. IIRC, the first book in the series was published in 1990.

Some say he's a genius, some say he's a Tolkein ripoff. I can't seem to muster the interest to find out for myself. :/

2. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

He takes a huge amiount of elements from other books, as an eksample the aiel comes from dune. I don't think he is comaparbale to tolkien though. okay for an read but the wheel seem to slow down more and more as the books goes on, and when you get to the last book allmost nothing happens that makes the story moving. While in the LOTR the speed in the story increases all the time. Try reading the Lord Of The Rings, he is a far better writer(in my oppinion) and his ancient tounge is an actuall language.

3. Campos

Campos New Member

My 2 cents since the Wheel of Time books were mentioned. I totally agree with Qilikatal on how the story slows down in each proceeding book. I gave up after the 5th mabey 6th. Last I remember the girls were going to look for a Weather Bowl. How many are there now 10+?
    Rand became too much of a crybaby. Reminded me of Luke "The Sissy" Skywalker in the movies, not the books. Also there wasnt enough of Perrin or Matt. Jordan, also just went on and on and on and on AND ON, Anne Rice style, about the simplest of things. Jeeze each book is close to 1000 pages of small print. 50 bucks says he wanted to end the series at 4 possibly 5 books when he first thought up the story. But when it became so popular after the first two the publisher pimps pressured him to extend it as far as they could. Anyway, you might get more enjoyment from the series then I did. Mabey the books after I the ones I read got better. Hope they did and I hope you do. The first 3 books kicked ass!

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've thought about starting the series, but I've read some of Jordan's other work, and it isn't that great.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I am personally really enjoying them. Now, I haven't read all of them, I am only on the fourth book, but so far they are really good.

6. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I haven't read any Robert Jordan, but he's on my list of guys to try sometime when I'm at the library and it'sf ree. Speaking of which, I picked up a Terry Brooks (the guy who did Phantom menace as a novel) when last I was in the aforementioned library, and am pretty nonplussed with it so far. It's called "A Knight of the Word". It moves really slowly, and while I wouldn't say it sucks.. I mean, I'm nearly finished with it, so it wasn't so bad I stopped reading... I would have been pretty annoyed if I'd paid for it. Has anyone read any of his other stuff, and if so do you have comments? I always try to give an author at least two tries ;)
    And I say again... READ C.S. Friedman. Start with the Coldfire Trilogy. The first book is the best, but the other two are no slouches, and the conceit is interesting.
    Have a day.
    'Seph'

Our Host!