Anyone know...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phoenix, May 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Anyone know where I could find a good picture of a Phoenix, or something like that for an avatar?

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Here's one I found using Google in about 5 seconds:
    [​IMG]

If you don't like it, go to www.google.com and run an image search.

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

4. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

For an avatar? You're about 900 posts away from that though. Did I miss something?

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Perhaps for another forum? I've heard they exist.

I rather like the phoenix from the adult edition of Harry Potter 5. The children's edition is, as usual, a bit cartoony.

6. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Another forum? What?! IMPOSSIBLE! BLASMEPHY!

On a side note: why do you need an adult and children version of the same book? That seems rather stupid. It says that the only difference is the cover. ...?

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Yes, I know I can't use it on here, but there are some forums in which I can. There are different versions of Harry Potter? I had not realized there was an image search on Google. Thanks for the tip. Oh, and as for other forums being blasphemy, what better way to get more users here than to teach of the divine goodness of The House of Lords forum on other forums? :)

8. Canis

Canis New Member

:shrug: I suppose it's for marketing. Maybe get more adults to buy it for themselves.

I think it looks pretty sweet, I hope they have it available at the midnight release party here. :)

9. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Yeah, all the Harry Potter books are very good.

10. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I like Harry Potter :)
    I have magic cards somewhere, but I mostly played Green and White, so I don't know what I'd have in the way of a Pheonix (wasn't it red? I can't remember... it's been so long)

About the multiple versions, The Philosopher's Stone was called the Sorcerer's Stone here in the US cause we're too uncultured to know what a Philosopher's Stone is. *sigh* Maybe I should move to Europe.

I didn't know that about the covers though. I pre-ordered... hope I get the grown-up version ;)

11. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Am I going to hit a bonus level sometime soon?

Yes, the Pheonixes (Pheonixii?) were red. If you ever colected for art, the were some nice ones.

Proof once again that the government's plan to keep us isolated & ignorant is working.

12. Canis

Canis New Member

I'm almost convinced the situation is overstated. People ARE taught of things such as the Philosopher's Stone in school, but whether they choose to retain the knowledge is another matter entirely.

*I* learnt about the Philosopher's Stone. And I'm not nearly as ancient as Shadygrove.

Um... ancient being a positive term of respect of course. :D

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

For some reason, both titles - Sorceror's and Philosopher's - were released here. The copy at my house was Philosopher, but I also saw Sorceror's in the stores. Very interesting...and depressing. There's just too damn much of America in everyone these days, even Americans.

14. backstabber

backstabber New Member

children version: "harry saw a ten foot tall ogre and exclaimed:'oh my god!!!'"

teenage version:"harry saw a ten foot tall ogre and exclaimed:'what the HECK!!'"

ADULT version:"harry saw a ten foot tall ogre and exclaimed:'OH FUCK!!'"

:lol:

15. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

I must admit, the Harry Potter books are VERY readable, and I'm pleased to say I've read the current 4 that have been published. (I'm quite looking forward to The Order of the Phoenix as well.)

Regards,
    Morden

16. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Both versions are identical except for the covers. For the four books that exist today, they were all originally for adults, with a normal front cover. However, when the publishers realised that it was a favourite with the children they released the box set and reprinted all of the books with a more cartoony cover that was supposed to be more appealing to the younger ages.

Thus we have the normal and the childrens cover versions.

Then the film came out, and they reprinted all of the books again. This time with a snapshot of the film on the front.

And thus we now have three different sets of covers in the UK all for the same books. It's the same as the LotR trilogy. There are four different covers for those. The original one, the one they made for the box set, the one they used when Tolkien died and they used his original art works and then the new one when the films came out. :-o

17. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I have also read all four Harry Potter books, and I must say I too enjoyed them.

As for the Philosopher's stone, I don't think I was taught about it in school. I knew vaguely what it is because of the... is it James Taylor ? or Van Morrison? song... and because I guess I keep relatively intelligent people around me (present company notwithstanding;))

But if, before Harry Potter, you'd asked me what it is and what it does, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. Maybe this is because in the Americas the Conquistadores all went looking for the fountain of youth down in central america so we think of that instead?

And don't even get me started on the LOTR books... not only are there 85 covers, there are tons of variations in the versions. The intro in the newest box set I have explains that the "original" printing was edited by the publishers more than Tolkien wanted, changing elfs to elves ands stuff like that. *sigh* So while Christopher says I have the version "As dad intended" who's to say?

If JRR was alive today he would roll over in his grave.

18. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Ditto.

:(

19. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Speaking of books, any of yall read The Wheel of Time series? I am reading them right now and think they are awesome.

20. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

That sounds familiar. Author & 1st publishing date please?

Our Host!