weapon/armor for mage

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by gamesguy, Mar 26, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. gamesguy

gamesguy New Member

I started a mage about 2 weeks back and I need good weapon/armor/shield etc for a mage

I have a pyro axe but I dont have the strength to wield it 1 handed and I want to carry a shield ...

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Your mage has a pyro axe?!

You could always camp out at a Wise Woman's place, sooner or later she'll have all sorts of Arcane goodness for you. Meanwhile you might want to buy the gloves of dexterity from the elven trader in Ashbury, and perhaps the enchanted war booties if your character doesn't mind the noise. There are a few places in the game world that have fixed Arcane items for you to find, like the gauntlets at the Ruby Glade and Caladon Sewers, and (I think) the longsword in the Dungeon of the Dragon Pool....

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

If you've got the strength (20) then go for the arcane greatsword which can be found at one of the fixed locations. A lagoon of some sort I think.

I usually use the gloves of DEX, Elven boots, sword of air or arcane sword/greatsword, arcane leather and some helmet or other I can't remember (it's been a while. Not a hexed though). I tend to go for non noise-making armours to help me sneak but if you're not bothered then the enchanted war boots and arcane platemail is nice, if you can afford the weight.

If you're a thrower then the Azram's Star is nice and if an archer then either the bow of eclesiasties (sp?) or that other bow from Quintarra somewhere who's name escapes me. Might be Elumyn's bow...

4. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

The Sword of Balater is good but you'll need High Strength. Use a fate point to steal it from Liana Pel Dar (sp) In Dernholme (She teaches you Expert throwing)
    Still Water Blade is good if you have high magickal aptitude you can summon cool animals like the vorpal bunny. You can buy them from all good magick stores or go to still water (follow the river up from tarant) and do the quest that the balck smith gives you in return for the stillwater blade.

The Arcane Chainmail is excellent and doesn't weigh to much but if you can't get that then I recommend the Dragon Skin Leather AC:9 DR:+16(+10) FR:+5(+60) NP:-10 Wgt:150 Hps:120 Also it makes your character look pretty dam cool.

Definatley have the gloves of Dx as it saves you 2 precious character points. The Elven trader in Ashbury sells them.

Enchanted war boots or Elven Boots are both good.

Get the shield of force.

I recommend the Nature's Wrath Helmet that you get from the Acient Ruins near Dernholme.

For a mage you are definatley gonna need a decent amount of Consitution and the Amulet of Kan El gives you +4. I think you can steal it from Fawn in Quintara. Other than that I usually go for the Jewel of Herbe which gives you +1 Ch +2 Be. You can get it from the Panari temple in tarant ( Use unlocking Cantrip from afar).

Rings of protection are easy to come by and provide good bonouses. Also theres the more elusive Arcane Rings which give good resistance and then theres the Ring of Verility which gives +2 Consitution.

I hope that helps. :)

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Stringy Pete is wearing Arcane sword, Arcane shield and Arcane helm- all you could ask for ;)
    Other suggestions.
    Swords- Sword of Baltar from the throwing expert in Dernholm. Some master mages in Tulla have Arcane swords that can be stolen from them. Barbarian heavy blade is neutral and very good, but requires ST20 I think.
    Rings- either rings of protection (you can find many in the game) or Arcane rings (+20 to all resistances except DR I think), you can steal them from innkeepers in the Roseborough inn.
    Shield- either Arcane one from Stringy Pete, or the Screaming shield from Roseborough blacksmith (30+10AC), or at least the common Shield of Force.
    Armor- I usually prefer Arcane leather armor, its light.

If you mostly fight by casting spells, you don't need melee at all, just steal 4-5 Arcane staves in Tulla and change them after you use all the mana. Usually more than enough for a fight.

6. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

Just look at all the helpful information we've given you! :p Feel free to express your gratitude in a medium-large sum of money for each of us :D

7. gamesguy

gamesguy New Member

lol, I do have a lot of money in arcanum though, I killed everyone in shrouded hills, and killed several shopkeepers in different locations. and yet I still have alignment of +70 :D .

8. Zorque

Zorque New Member

The way they gouge those prices, I wouldn't be surprised if the shopkeepers had evil alignments.

9. Delkatani

Delkatani New Member

hmm i'm no expert on what items to get but this is what i wear and it works good for me

mithril chainmail (get from franklin payne... nice damage resistance)
    gloves of dex (+2 dex, from elven traders)
    natures wrath helm (+20% DR. hexed but good, get from ancient maze i think)
    arcane axe
    finger of mannox (+2 melee and some other good bonuses, get from hadrian in panarii temple at caladon)

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

youd be surprised to know who is.

Our Host!