The Best Ideas for Arcanum 2

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Drizzt, Sep 21, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you think this is the perfect Arcanum 2 improvement idea?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

First of all, I want to see that there are several different beginnings. What I mean is, I did a bunch of stuff in the original game and I want to see the fruits of my labor come out in the sequel. Also, the game needs to HAVE ALL OF THOSE :puke: BUGS GONE!!!!! :minigun: All throughout Arcanum bug here! BUG there! BUGS EVERYWHERE!!!!!! ARGH! Also, those peasants need to have more character. I also want the ability to acsess all of those colleges of magic as a master (without using a bug)! I also want the level cap to be raised to 2000. That would be a good start. More character interaction. I never got to see the Magnus and Loghaire conversation on the Iron Clan throne! I know it's a bug, but I still want to see stuff like that! Technology needs to be corrected too. Too much stuff that's not technology is considered tech. In the game manual they considered an inclined plane tech. Tech my :eek:uch: ! The combat system needs to be improved. It should also be more balanced. NOBODY could resist my disintigrate spell. Also, guns need to be more pwerful. If tekkies are as powerful as they say they are, THEN WHY DO THE GUNS TICKLE MY ENEMY? I also want a full extension of the magickal colleges (all 7 spells (read that book in Tulla)). I also want to visit a healthy Vendigroth. I thought the ruins were really boring. More videos! More ambushes (the one outside the ruins entrance comes to mind...). The ability to contract the Molochean Hand. Lead armies! All that good stuff. If you think anything should be added or removed from my perfect Arcanum 2, reply to this post. Also, vote on this pole.

2. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

when did you want to see this game around 2020
    actually I really like this suggestion but again how long would you like the game to be in developement?
    ABSOFUCKINLUTELY christ magic makes you a God from jump street with the harm spell but my frickin 38 special between the eyes is a walk away injury eat me
    it sounds like you want a cross platform deal with lots of fps (ie plenty of cutscenes) plus some rts (the ability to lead an army) mixed in with your rpg

note why would you want spell mastery at the beginning or did I misunderstand?

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Many of the bugs are removed with the patch.

The first time I took Longhair & Magnus to the Iron Clan, I didn't see it either, but I had an F7 outside the door, went back & got it. Is it tripped by a small location? It happens in the first room.

4. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

i
    However long it takes to get those :puke: bugs out. I also mean that the level cap should be high (ie. you will not get to the higest level (50) 40hrs before the end of the game).
    That should be avoided due to the time it would take to make the game because of that. BUT! They could select one ending and use that as a start.
    I thank you for agreeing. The spells SHOULD be toned down quite a bit. As well as the guns being "toned up."
    What I meant by leading armies was making descisions about what they will do. Not necessarily leading them into battle as in a RTS. Not really a cross platform deal, but whenever something important happens maybe a short clip (they only gave me two in Arcanum (Thanatos and Kerghan).

You misunderstood. I don't want spell mastery at the beginning, but the ability to get spell mastery in all colleges instead of one by doing a bunch of tests (trials for spell mastery) so newbs don't become "Super Newbs".
    Does that clarify it?

5. xento

xento New Member

I like the suggestions. It wouldn't take Troika too long to make it, if they would get started right away... Maybe a year or two...

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I like the way that this forum keeps spitting out the same suggestions time after time.

7. xento

xento New Member

Do you? REALLY? Wow! I am soooo proud! :roll:

8. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

All that I could hope for in arcanum 2, is a more workable world editor, that gives you more control over the .mes, .dat, .dlg, and so on, also more varied npcs (the unique ones are fine, but are there really THAT many people in the world with dark hair? ...speaking of dark hair, it doesn't seem to match the blonde picture I have for my character...)
    I mean, I bought this game because of the editing possibilities, but it doesn't seem to fit what I was looking for. (it seems to mostly concern the editing of the scenery, then how gameplay is concerned.)

9. Elwro

Elwro New Member

1. Well, I finished the game with a dwarven techie (medium difficulty), and it was a bit hard at times (especially near the first bridge). But it seems to me that a techie character can make things up by giving this ultra-super (forgot the names) sword/axe to Virgil/Magnus; I did that and then they were able to attack 7 or more times each round. I think the game is balanced pretty well.

2. Vendigroth was one of my favourite locations, with those newspapers containing bits about the city's history. IMHO the city, and especially the temple, had a great atmosphere. I didn't like the ending game screen for the city though. Too shadowrunish.

3. Two things I would like to see in Worlded: copy&paste and a NORMAL wall planning utility (everyone who tried to design a building knows what I'm referring to).

4. I would like less meanigless hack'n'slash locations, like the mountain pass you have to get through. I have to say that some parts of the game which is one of my favourite RPGs ever are utterly stupid. I don't like that.

10. Phisch

Phisch New Member

Haha!

I must admit that Arcanum caused me very few problems when I bought it so this rant is more about the disgusting state of the Software industry in general.

How sad is it that so many think that a stable, workable game would take too long? ;)

I always thought quality was job one!

I think we can thank Micro Squish for the sorry state of the software world. Once you have their money and they have your non-functional piece of shit tell them they need to register it to download patches, that way you have personal information and can play big brother! To point this out to any company fan boy is just plain blasphemy. If the product doesn't work when you get it, return it! Someone needs to clobber a few designers and publishers over the head to make them realise that there is no industry without customers. If Troika makes a crappy game just take it back, the same goes for any company, Bioware, BIS, Bethesda, it doesn't matter.

You just have to look at EA to see where the gaming world is headed.

Dear lord, I whine a lot.

11. cadaver

cadaver New Member

I want a better ending movie

all I saw was some piccies from every place and a voice said what was happened
    I could read that in the TA quest log if I wanted

ps the 'end boss' is damn hard to kill :-o (thank god I had 20 charisma and master persuasion :razz::D:cool:)

[edit]a little late but skip the end boss part cause I played CB's mod[/edit]

12. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Well I agree that the firearms need some work. So does magick.

A couple things I'd like to see..and this is one that I realized recently. Specifically about Shreck's Pistol, and the High Velocity Pistol.

I'd like to see, on the schematic, what the attributes of the item you're creating are. Too many times, I've trudged all over the world to find the components for the weapons, only to find that they suck.

The schematic for the Velocity pistol makes it sound like it's a pistol version of the Charged Accelerator. I figured I'd make it, and get rid of the hand cannon. Boy was I wrong. The hand cannon does WAY better damage, and at least with this particular character, it's the same speed as the velocity pistol, but with more than double the damage. There's really not much difference between the HV Pistol and the fine revolver. What? 2 or 3 points less in base damage? The revolver's faster, and has the additional +5 to hit. And the range is the same. So the revolver, a relatively low-tech weapon, is actually a bit better than the HV Pistol, which is a relatively high-tech weapon.

I did the same thing for shreck's pistol. Hunted all over the world for the components, found them, made it, and the thing sucked big time. I also found the hushed revolver to be all but useless, with such a short range, and low damage. I understand that adding a silencer to a weapon does decrease its range and stopping power, but not to the extent that it's portrayed in Arcanum. And I didn't see much difference between using the silenced weapon and the non-silenced weapon. Especially since by the time you sneak up into range, whatever you're sneaking up on, and its pals have probably spotted you.

I agree that a first level spell, like harm, does more damage than a bloody sniper rifle to the head, and that's just ridiculous. What happened to the "one shot, one kill" mantra of the sniper?

But this is a bit of a pet peeve in most any game that involves firearms. Seems that the people who write the games know exactly dick about firearms.
    For example, those of you who've played the fallout games.

Why does it take less action points to bludgeon someone with your fist, than it does to fire a weapon? Often, those APs are double or more what it takes to use a melee weapon. It takes a lot less energy to pull a trigger than it does to hack somebody with a sword. Now I can understand things like bolt-action rifles, or single shot weapons using more APs. One needs to reload the weapon. But something like a shotgun, or a bozar, or an SMG..You just point in the general direction of the enemy and pull the trigger. Eventually you'll hit, with very little expended energy.

Of course, that does happen in Arcanum as well. But, it's a little more sensible there, being as the firearms in Arcanum are roughly 19th century tech. With a few embellishments.

I think I said before, that the magick system needs an overhaul as well. There's not enough offensive magick available at the lower levels. Of the 16? (don't remember exactly offhand) Spell Colleges, there's exactly one low level offensive spell. Harm. Seconded by Stone Throw, third by fireflash. There needs to be more spells with in-game applications.
    But as far as mastery of all the spell colleges? That's a little over the top. Maybe for Elven characters, in the way of a racial bonus, because of their long life-span, but for humans...sounds like a card for Munchkin:The card Game. Plus it takes a little of the prestige out of being a master.
    I do, agree that the way you gain mastery is a little silly. You go through a maze, kill a couple things,(no matter how) unlock a few doors and you're a magick master? I'd rather see a training thing like with the skills. Or perhaps a "Magick" skill in the skills section, where you can be an apprentice, expert, master. And it affects your ability to cast spells. But instead of simply decreasing the fatigue, it lowers the fatigue in increments, and perhaps ups the damage in increments. Or maybe being a master would unlock some new spells.

I've played both tech and magick characters. I'm fond of both, depending on my mood, but lemme tell you...magick characters seem a helluva lot more powerful than a tech.

Furthermore, in response to the statement about what's considered tech. I somewhat agree.

I think the smithy discipline, and the herbology discipline should be considered more neutral than tech. At least to the max-out stage.
    If you max out any discipline, it boosts your tech aptitude. Usually to the point where magick shops and traders won't deal with you. So, if that's the case, how do you come about magickal smiths? How are magick weapons created?
    Likewise, herbology. Gathering and mixing herbs is not really a technological sort of thing. 'Witches' and healers use herbs. Elves, who are highly magickal, and attuned to nature, 'can't' be herbalists? When herbs are duh, part of nature. And if your magick aptitude is high, herbal things don't work on you? That's just silly.

Following this line of thinking, then alchemy, (as Jongle describes it) should be considered a tech discipline.

If not smithy, then herbology, at least should be considered neutral.

Now, I realize there's ways to lower your aptitude one way or the other, but that falls under the character system, as there's usually not enough points to go around without cheating.

Damn! I had a better rant last night. I should've posted it before I went to bed instead of waiting till now.

13. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Those is all very good points. In addition-in Arcanum 2 Pick Locks should be a neutral skill NOT tech as a high level mage I had great displeasure that my Pick Locks skill failed to work because of my magic aptitude. :(

Another thing which would make Arcanum 2 rock would be villagers and farmers acting like people instead of automatons. All humans should go to taverns or prepare their own food at mealtimes. Farmers should actually farm things appropriat to the season. And the seasons should change as well. And it would be really awsome if villagers would sometimes get in fights and be robbed. Also new quests should be generated from differant peaople according to situations in the world. If a noble is robbed then he could ask you to hunt down the theif. If two villagers got in a fight then you could defend one of them in court. The would should live and change without the player affecting it.

Also I want the playing-character to be able to purcase and/or build their own hut/town/castle/village/city and allow NPCs to settle it.

Now this is the ideal RPG for me and would take some doing. However I would be willing to wait for 5 more years for it to be acheived. :razz:

14. TairNean

TairNean New Member

I agree completely about the villagers just aimlessly wandering about, or standing in front of a building. My only question about that is: The game's got lotsa bugs as it is...how buggy would that make it.

re: lockpicking;

Well, I can at least SEE where they got the idea that it's a tech discipline. In all reality, lockSMITHing is similar to watchbuilding, so I can understand it being a tech. But lockPICKING should fall under thieving skills, tho. There are subtle differences in the two. Locksmithing is more than just cracking locks. It's building, sometimes designing, and installing locks. Lockpicking...well you don't neccessarily have to know how to build a lock to pick it, tho I'd imagine it would help. I can pick a lock, but I sure as hell can't build one..unless a bar and bracket counts..~wink~
    But does a magick character REALLY need lockpicking, when they have unlocking cantrip? Ehh...hard to say. Lockpicking is supposedly more discreet than unlocking cantrip, but I've not seen much difference, with my playing style.

Yes, I can see where being able to build your own village/tower etc would definately be a nice thing. The boat with the cargohold patch is the closest you get, that I've seen.
    But that might make for more of a sim/rts type game. A spin-off game maybe..But it's hard to say...Tell me more, maybe?
    And I've said before, I'd just be happy with better control over the party members so they don't end up getting in the way, and so you could actually use some strategy, like formations, lines, wedges etc, rather than CHARGE! KILL! Dammit Virgil, get the hell outta my way!!!!

You've no idea how insane that drives me...

15. Zorque

Zorque New Member

And it's really annoying with throwing, if their anywhere near you and you miss the target they automatically get hit, then I have to listen to them whine

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Aye, that sure is annoying. My vision is that you can just do ANYTHING you want. However one wouldn't be able to command an army or anything like that. It would be cool though if an evil ruler took over if you were away for more than 2 years or so. Then you could come back and butcher him and his men :minigun: and be loved by your people. 3:)

17. TairNean

TairNean New Member

That idea has merit...and opens up more roleplaying/questing possibilities..

An evil mage has taken over your home, and enslaved your people. You must find the mighty sword of ass-biting and remove him and free your people.

Now this might create openings for new subjects. Like a new magickal smith moves into your town, and now will forge you magick armour or a weapon. Or some crazy inventor has moved in, and invented a really kick-ass new weapon..You buy the weapon, and subsidize its production, bringing more income into your treasury...Or maybe you have to prevent someone from kidnapping/killing the inventor, or stealing the plans.

A gang of unethical dockers have taken over the docks. Remove them, and a shipbuilder, or an import/export company might move in.

As you make money, people join the town militia. As the militia grows, you gain access to different training techniques. While maybe you can't have direct control over the militia, they just function like all other town guards, you can take advantage of the training tecniques..or maybe you can have them join you on quests as followers..

People could come to you for quests. ie "Help, your highness, my child has been taken by a gang of orc bandits who've taken residence on the outskirts..."

As you finish quests, the people like you more, you get more gold, your town grows...

This idea has a LOT of merit, actually...Quick! Call Troika!

Although this sounds more like a spin-off game, than a sequel. Something like Arcanum:Kings and Queens or something..

18. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I don't think so. I mean all this can happen but one can also be a lone adventurer upholding justice and not tied to any one place. The fact that such happenings are possible is what's important.

[Kneels.]

Please, let Troika hear my prayer!

:roll:

19. Slice & Dice

Slice & Dice New Member

I think the melee and dodge skills should be combined. Anybody who's ever studied martial arts, especially ones that are weapon arts,(kendo or arnis for example) can tell you, you learn to get out of the way!

20. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Yeah I agree with that. I always thought it was a little silly that dodge was a seperate skill that you have to learn. Anybody can get out of the way of something, if you're agile enough. What annoys me about dodge is that it allows one to dodge bullets. Sorry, I don't know anyone who can do that. If I remember correctly, even White Wolf systems have a seperate dodge skill., but I could be mistaken, it's been awhile since I even looked at a White Wolf book.

And you're right, if you've gotten any kind of martial training from karate, to boxing, to fencing...one of the first things you're taught is how to get out of the way..in fact one of the black belts from an Isshyn Ryu (prolly spelled that wrong..it's been awhile) school said to the class "the best way to block is to simply get out of the way."

Now if you have no melee skill, I can understand dodge being a seperate skill, but I don't see how anyone could get through a game of Arcanum without at least one dot in melee. Guns run out of bullets, Bows run out of arrows, and spells run out of fatigue points eventually. And there's not much allowance for characters who try to avoid combat, seeing as the only way to really get experience is through combat.

I also thought it was just a little silly that backstab should be a seperate skill from melee, although the way it works in the Arcanum system isn't too bad...the higher the skill, the more choice of weapons you have to backstab with. So in that sense it's at least a little logical.

Well, as far as the lone figure thing...

Yes, make allowances for the possibility, so it could go either way. But what's the point of being able to buy/build your own town/castle etc, if you've no ties to any land? Seems rather self-defeating.
    Not to mention the fact that the 'lone figure dispensing justice throughout the land' is a little cliche. From the 50s and 60s westerns, to nearly every comic book superhero, to Conan, Mad Max, Soldier, Rambo, etc...But it is a formula that works, so there's why it's become cliche.

For once, I'd like to see a king or a leader character actually going out and doing some work, tending his lands and people rather than depending on Ye Olde Helpful Adventuring Stranger to do his dirty work. In most fuedal settings, kings were, in fact, Warrior-Kings, trained from birth in the arts of war. I'd like to see something that puts those skills to use.

Most cRPGs don't allow for that type of background. Hell most tabletop RPGs don't allow for that kind of background, with their character creation systems. In most cases it's written/decided by the game master.

But as I said, the idea seemed more a spin-off or expansion, than an actual sequel

That's one of the things I love about the Arcanum universe. It takes a rather chock-full-of-cliche genre, and makes it fresh and new. In doing so, it manages to avoid a lot of the cliche... with the exception of the randomly placed apostrophes...~wink~
    What cliche it doesn't avoid, it tends to make fun of...

Our Host!