so you think you've seen fire......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrnobodie, Jan 20, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

here are pics that a friend sent me that were taken on saturday afternoon in canberra, these are pretty tame compared to some that i took whilst shitting myself with fear, unfortunatly my camera got a little melted (ie- burnt to a fucking cinder) when it dropped out of my pocket onto the back of the truck.

1430pm

1432pm

1511pm

1512pm

1536pm

1741pm

2. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Woah. I'd be scared shitless if I was there. How did this all get started?

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Looks like hell. Scorched earth. Is that area where the pics were taken from evacuated? That fire looks as if it's REALLY close.

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

scorched earth?, Jinxed you have no idea how fucking accurate that is. i have never seen anything burn so fucking fast, we pulled up infront of one house as it started to catch alight and by the time we got out and had the hose's ready (approx 1-2 mins) the ENTIRE fucking thing was one huge bonfire!, then it just moved on to the next house.... then the next...... and the next...... and the next...... We were so fucking lucky we weren't killed so many times, that it is funny. My gear (plus everyone else's) is litterally covered in tiny burn holes from flying debris. i don't know who took those shot's or where exactaly, i think it was someone a friend of mine knows in caberra, but i wish i was there and not where i was, there looks safe...... ha.... well safer.

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Nature's revenge. We are harrased in Europe by MAJOR floods. Few years ago a Polish city was flooded down and still hasn't recovered fully. Most of the European countries had to battle floods, Germany had a really bad case and was flooded repeatedly.

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

heh, want to know something really funny..... i don't know how to swim, looks like i'm fucked no matter where i live.... oh well, guess i'll have another joint.

7. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Good Lord. Those pics are frightening. I heard a little on the news this morning about the fires Down Under, and they were specifically talking about Canberra. Horrible, horrible time you guys are going through. You better be careful, mrnobodie. Might be a good idea to not smoke any joints right now. Wouldn't want you to be all "Whoa, dude, that's one hell-acious fire. Pass the marshmallows, dude. Whoo-hoo, I'm stoned! Damn, is anyone else's shoes on fire? Whoo-hoo!"

8. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Looks like god have pissed all over europe and then lit his fart over australia. Good luck killing the flames Mrnobodie

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It looks like a scene from an alien invasion movie or something! :eek: I really don't envy you right now MrNobodie. I hope you fare well during this newest fire crisis... and any others that might follow too if it gets that bad.

10. Settler

Settler Member

Good Luck, nobodie...

Well, yesterday Melbourne (loooooong way from Canberra) was under a blanket of smoke, I assume from the other fires in NW Victoria. A change came through at around 1...good news for me, not so good for nobodie...

For anyone that was around (and remembers), how does this compare to Ash Wednesday?

11. xento

xento New Member

I know this really isn't the right thing to say, but in pics 3 & 4, it looks quite beautiful with the fire background and the almost black foreground.

It didn't scare me, because we had something similar to that up here in South Dakota, except I wasn't that close. We were driving home from a swim meet in Bismark, ND and I saw smoke and HUGE flames leaping into the sky from nearly 1-2 miles away, or more. They were probably 50-100 feet high. It was just someone's empty field, luckily. Probably started by a huge pile of warmed manure or a rotting bail of hay.

Good luck as a firefighter, mrnobodie. Must stink having to get up in the middle of the night to firefight.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You really are retarded aren't you? For starters, I believe mrnobodie is a volunteer firefighter, which means he fights bushfires, not house fires. Secondly, fires burn during the day as well, amazingly enough. While I'm sure they do fight fires in shifts, it's not like it's a surprise shift.

Yes, because we all know that an empty field burning and our capital burning are really similar things aren't they?

I can't believe this mrnobodie. An Australian man not knowing how to swim.

13. xento

xento New Member

Oh, I forgot he was a volunteer.

Yes, I know they burn during the day as well. It would still be annoying to be half through a nice, warm meal, get a call, sound the alarm, go and fight the fire, and come back all scorched and burnt to a cold steak.

14. Settler

Settler Member

:-?

15. Milo

Milo New Member

Damn, man, 1512pm looks like the fucking eye of Sauron staring down at the suburbs. It takes balls to put your life on the line when faced with those scenes. Fire Fighters rock. [​IMG]

Stay safe, mrnobodie.

16. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

thanks for the thought's guy's, means a lot. Jar, your forgeting i live in the bush, there's not that much water out these parts, apart from pools and the river* and most people (ie:- me) just sit in them and drink.
    settler/xento that steak comment..... not funny, made my man boobs shake prodigously from laughing, but not funny.
    milo, that "eye" was the sun. on sunday evening as it was going down we were able to look directly at the sun and watch as it shifted colour from a soft orange to an almost hot/fluro pink before it set from all the dust, smoke and shit in the atmosphere.

*home of the world famous 5 o'clock wave, everyday at approx 5:00 pm a literal wave comes down the river from the dam where it's released upriver about 100k's. don't believe me, search and prove me wrong, i dare you.

17. xento

xento New Member

mrnobodie, it wasn't meant to be funny. I was serious!

Good luck out there on the job!

18. carlstar

carlstar New Member

now you know those little fire over there in aussie have even sparked a fire call out in New zealand. Firemen spent about an hour looking for the source of the smoke (it's in a dought area you see) and it turned out it it was from australian bush fires. thats a long way for smoke to travel.

On the bright side (you may not think so) we are having some great sun sets and the orange moon is fantastic.

You aussies should just jolly well hurry up and make some rain.

19. xento

xento New Member

There is SUPPOSED to be a way to MAKE it rain... I think it is called Cloud Seeding... However, it doens't work well and isn't worth it.

But in this case, they may want to try it...

Isn't it natural for Australia to be very dry, though?

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It's natural for Australia to be dry in the same way it's natural for Americans to shoot total strangers, especially small boys.

Our Host!