When lack of internet attacks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jinxed, Jan 11, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I love my dsl provider. Oh I love them so much. I've been away for over a week. When I came back I learned that they had 3 downtimes during my absence. I laughed. My system crashed, I had to reinstall. I did that and all was fine. I had trouble installing the dsl under win xp so I called for help, not wanting to waste any time. Whatever I was doing wrong it didn't matter, the options I had in doubt could be filled with anything. That's how it worked. At the end of the conversation, I asked out of humor if they are having problems now, the answer was YES. Ok... However moments later it was fine.

The net worked great for a day.

Suddenly, router problems, 2 hours downtime. 4 hours later, more router problems. Next day, connot log in. At 11 pm I could not log in still. however the error I was getting was different. They had router problems again. Amazing. Today I reset the modem and it all works... for now.

What I have is a nightmare, no one knows when it's gonna brake and according to the statistics, it's broken down 25% of the overall time.
    But hey, it's better than a 56 modem which I first used on T-A... which ended up with a 200$ bill. :/

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You must have had a pretty crappy dial up provider then, because I use dialup, and it costs about US$10/month. Admittedly, I only get 800 mg for that (I think) but seeing as I don't download game demo's or horrendously large files frequently - or even regularly - then I have no problem staying in the limits.

As for your DSL provider, well, I think it's ironic. It's faster, but you can't use it a quarter of the time. Sucks to be you.

3. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Jar!, what the fuck!, your paying $10 for 800 meg! i'm paying $25 for only 300!!!!! that fucking sucks!!!!!!! fuck this i'm fucking changing provider's, live in the bush and get fucked over by every one!!!!! fuck!!!!!!!

*edit. ok, i calmed down a bit after rereading your post and noticing you said US$10. but you still get nearly three times my bandwith, i've got to find something better.

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Shut yer trap nobodie. I pay ~13$US monthly for mere 30 hours online. And I have no more than 1 internet providers to "choose" from.

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Thankfully, I don't have any d/l limit and the speed is 512kbps. But it costs 50$. That price is murder. Especially in a country where the minimum wage is like 150$.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Oh no! I'm on minimum wage, and I can't afford broadband internet! PITY ME!!! Broadband is a privilege, not a right, and it's pretty fucking far away from being the 'standard' connection that everyone expects. The majority of people still use dial-up, so stop complaining how you have to scrimp and save to make ends meet while you have DSL. If you are complaining about scrimping and saving. But stop bitching about how much DSL costs.

7. Windmills

Windmills New Member

There's a pretty good deal here in Charleston. I have cable internet, and since I also have cable TV, they give me a discount so I pay $40 a month for basic cable AND internet together. :)

8. Settler

Settler Member

I pay AU$25 (US$14-or-so) for unlimited time and data, though I'm paying AU$8 extra to get linked up to my school's network.

9. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Things sound horrid in Poland. I thought things got better when you kicked the commies out. One thing we have here in the USA is choices. Of course they are all someone else's idea of what you realy want, but somebody usualy comes close.

10. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

ADSL used to be (until April last year) £40 a month here. Now it is about £23 a month. That's for the same deal as Jinxed, 256/512 Kbps with no throughput limit.

I use a provider that gets us on the Verio backbone, instead of the crappy BT51 network (even though it does go through BT exchange equipment), like most UK providers do. This gives us a very much reduced latency.

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Jar... The polish phone provider is the most expensive in Europe. Maybe even in the world but that may be going to far. When I hear milo talking about his 4000 kbps orgasms for 10$ I GET A LITTLE PISSED. Do you know how much it costs me to call the USA? 10x as much as the other way around.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Boo fucking hoo. Deal with it - it's called budgeting.

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Damn, Jar, that's a bit harsh. It's not really called budgeting when a service is much more expensive in one place than another. Out of two people starting with the same budget, one is going to end up running out quicker, surely?

I hate the rip-off ADSL providers. BT were raking it in and giving a shit service until pressure forced them to lower their prices. They are STILL raking it in and giving a mediocre service, but at least the man on the street isn't being exploited quite so hard.

14. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I'd say it's called "the rusults of monopoly" rather.

15. Milo

Milo New Member

The bubble will burst, my friend. Already the broadband companies over here are starting to tighten their grip. They realize that once their users have broadband, they're going to be hooked on it - Shit, I'd rather bend my finger all the way backward until it snaps than go back to dialup. So they spent all those years giving us tons of bandwidth for a reasonable price, building their market. Now they're starting to simultaneously hike up rates, and lower their quality of service. Oddly enough, my broadband provider got bought out (again), and this time I actually got my download/upload cap raised to 1.8(ish)Mbps/256Kbps. But then they dropped the news that they might start capping our newsgroup usage. I swear to God, if they cap my usenet downloads to something like 1 gig per month, I WILL FUCKING BREAK!!!!!1

The broadband providers really have their users by the balls now. It's time to wait and see how bad it gets. Maybe the government will end up intervening on the consumer's behalf before the ISPs are done with their gouging.

16. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

There are two ways to get full duplex service through satilites here now. I certanly hope that you in eastern europe get a bird you can use soon.

17. xento

xento New Member

Well, I have 56kbps right now, but, if I can, I will switch to DSL when summer rolls around. Our ISP is West River (http://www.westriv.com), and it looks like their DSL deals are pretty good...

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hey, we have a broaband monopoly in Australia like Jinxed has in Poland. One telecommunications company owns the majority of all communication infrastructure - it owns every phone line, every phone tower, and most of the fibre optic network.

Milo, I wouldn't be surprised if your US providers start introducing download caps. There's been more than one article here stating that they're keeping an eye on Telstra, and the success they've had with download caps. Every single ISP in Australia has one for broadband plans, and most dial-up ones do as well.

Add to that our also phenomenally high pricing, and we have a situation similar to what Fatman had. May not be as bad as Jinxed's in terms of price, but monopoly wise, even Microsoft isn't as dominant.

19. xento

xento New Member

Speaking of Microsoft, I have heard rumors that it is going out of buisness or at least is going to stop selling Windows. Is that true? :eek:

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes. The multi-headed corporate giant, headed up by the richest man in the world, is going bankrupt. They've finally realised Windows is a stupid idea, are liquidating all their assets, firing all their staff and the top execs are sailing to the Caribbean.

Our Host!