And we thought OURS was a Type Thing Award ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Dec 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

After seeing an article on Celestial Heavens, I nipped over to have a look at what the nominations are in the Gamespy Gamers' Choice Awards 2002. Naturally I hit the RPG noms first, to see what was in there. Here's what they've got:
    • Arx Fatalis
    • Asheron's Call 2: Fallen Kings
    • Divine Divinity
    • Dungeon Siege
    • Earth & Beyond
    • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    • Freedom Force
    • Gothic
    • Icewind Dale II
    • Neverwinter Nights

By my reckoning, there are at least 2 MMORPGs in there and 1 squad-based tactical, and that's if you count DS as an RPG instead of action adventure.

Even if we're being the most generous we could and we say MMORPGs are some flavour of RPG - a point of view many RPG fans would take issue with, surely Freedom Force, good as it was, can't be considered and RPG?

Is it me or have Gamespy gone a bit too broad with this category?

2. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

Many people have different definitions of RPG. To some, RPG is some over head view where you move usually one or very few guys around and they level up and all that. Some thought the Sims was a simulation, others considered it an rpg... it all really depends.

Maybe gamespy's definition of an rpg is different from other peoples, and is more general.

3. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Agree with ya, Fatty. However, I'll be the first¹ to say it; I can't wait until they release an RPG that is a TRUE RPG with the graphics and feel of something like Dungeon Seige. I'm just tired of gritty RPG graphics.

"Wait, what is that? Is that a door? Or is it just another drab piece of the building, colored slightly different." "Wait, is that goodies or just junk?" "What the hell kinda monster is that? He's just a patch of green and grey with legs"

¹Many not actually be the first to say it.

4. xento

xento New Member

I agree wtih you, retard! We need a good 3D game with realistic graphics and an awesome storyline that first person/3rd person view. Like Morrowind.

5. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Yes, like Morrowind but with gameplay that doesn't leave me standing in a building in the second town of the game with crushng ennui and a desire to turn the game off.

I like the feel of many RPG games' grpahics as it is (the 2D ones, mainly). Arcanum, Fallout and DivDiv all had graphical appeal. I'm with Retard on the clarity thing though - it just dumps you right out of the atmosphere of the game when you have to think to yourself "Would the devs have put a door in that wall that's obsured by the roof?" or when you spend several minutes painstakingly making minute adjustments to the position of your mouse and clicking, to try to see how the hell you select something that's lying n the ground in plain site.

Don't even get me started on those stupid little Spiderweb games' graphics. That's a life's subscription to the optician, right there.

6. xento

xento New Member

I agree fully with you, Fatman. I hated it when I would always accidently pick up some piece of junk on Fallout/Arcanum that I didn't mean to, but didn't notice.

7. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Well, I love everything in DS except that you don't bleed from qound or get your head chopped off and stuff... But also the NPC interestion and quests aren't my favorite type...

But it's one of the best moddable games... That's what's so cool with it...

Oh, and I like to take a break from serious RPG's and just kick some Undead arse with my Phoenix Sword :grin:

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Alas, poor RPG... thou art the bitch of the gaming kingdom.
    The stupid use thy name in vain for any game in which you control a single character or group of characters, whether or not there's any kind of role-playing involved.

9. carlstar

carlstar New Member

nbosz agrees

Looking at that list up the top there i can say, i have played only half and i wouldn't say any of the ones i played were RPGs.
    I feel there hasn't been a RPG game out for some time now an when i mena RPG i mean a game where you have choices and have to find things to do.
    The modern RPG seems to be far to liniar and if it uses a level up system it tends to be given the RPG tag.

Death to linarian and there evil hordes.

Also Nbrosz seems to be agreeing totally with everyone.

10. Etalis Craftlord

Re: nbosz agrees

I totally agree. :grin:

Wait, no I don't... I quite like certain linear games, and they can be called role-playing much in the same way acting out a play can. Games like "Anachronox" and the Final Fantasy series are very linear, but fun nonetheless; and they can be sanely labeled RPG.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes...you get to play the role the devs set for you. How fun!

On another note, what do people here think of Wizardry 8? I have a chance to pick it up fairly cheap, is it a good game?

12. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

Well an RPG for me is, you take a role and play it, and that happens to be a very broad subject, making many games possibly an RPG. RPGs don't need leveling up, that's just D&D thinking, all they require, is a role to take, and a world to incorporate that role, thusly, anything with a story and a player controlled hero, is an RPG.

13. Mael

Mael New Member

now let us face reality
    the developers are all into making this so called "RPG" just to make
    money, well if it isn't the developers its the producers...
    they are aiming for the "masses" ,
    make a game that would have a larger audience
    than to thoose who call themselves "hardcore" gamer.
    they make games with "RPG" (very few) elements, and tell
    the crowd that it's a "RPG".

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Well, Lionheart is out in early January. It's by several people of the team that is responsible for Fallout, and is very much like Arcanum, but with many good improvements, and GOOD GRAPHICS. Should prove entertaining at least, and will hopefully be considered as a proper and decent RPG to go down with the likes of FO and Arcanum themselves.

15. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I don't think lionheart can be compared to fallout. But then i'm a hardcore fallout fan. I will get it because it has been to long since i have played a good rpg.

RPG=RolePlaying Game, can also be interpreted that you play the role of a single person. There is nothing that says that diablo is not an rpg since you play a "role". We should have new definitions like NRPG=nonlinear roleplaying game, and LRPG= linear RPG.

16. Etalis Craftlord

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you actually arguing the deficiencies of a game that has yet to be released?

And NRARPG = Not Really An RPG, BGRORPG = Baldur's Gate Rip Off RPG, NAGAFRPG = Not As Good As Fallout RPG, and KEYSRPG = Kill Everything You See RPG.

17. xento

xento New Member

So you like those occasional "sex" dialougs and the condoms for sale, eh? :D

18. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Too many game's are being call Roleing playing game that are not realy role playing game at all. Actural the best role playing game have some liner element's in the plot. You cannot have the combat in the dugeon without getting to and frinding the dugeon in the first place.

19. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Yes i have looked at it and i don't think it will be as good as Fallout. I THINK so however i would love to be proven wrong.

I allways used to sell myself when i could make money on it¹ ,not because i'm a pervert. That guy who was in the den was really good help in the beginning of the game.

¹NO I have never sold sexual services outside a computer game.

Our Host!