Morrowind: Tribunal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tzehoong, Nov 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

Is anyone going to buy this expansion? I just finished Morrowind's main quest yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about the game.

• The graphics were ooh-ahh awesome. Even with my pathetic GF2MX this is undoubtedly the best graphics game I've ever played.
    • The atmosphere and setting sucked you in from the start. The influences of Great House tradition and Imperial modernization were noticeable in every city. Their beliefs, architecture, way of life, so realistic.
    • The story was OK. If you take the time to read everything that's given to you, you'll notice that it's a time-tested "Hero-Incarnate" plot that succeeds because it's described so well. The betrayal of friends and enemies, false Gods, failed incarnates - amazing. The time when I reached the Cavern of the Incarnate, put on Moon-and-Star (and didn't die) and talked to Peakstar the failed Incarnate was positively one of the best experiences I've ever had in a game - a climax of sorts.
    • You're so free. You can do anything, be anything. Choose to align yourself with a traditionalist Great House or spearhead a period of change with the Imperial Legion. Be a powerful wizard or an agile thief - even a hated vampire. Or better still, all (or none) of the above.

• Some interactions are just too contrived/nonsensical. Here you are, fresh from saving the world of Morrowind, and people still call you "outlander". You're the Patriarch of the Temple and they go "What brings you here, Patriarch? Have you been lax in your duties?" (carryover from your Curate days)
    • Game balance. A lot has been said about it, so I won't dig further. Suffice to say that most monsters were still pushovers with the difficulty set all the way to the right.
    • Buggy game. The longer you play the slower the game becomes. Crashes for no apparent reason. After you patch the game prepare for permanent error messages if you have plug-ins.
    • Interface. The cursor moves slowly, your inventory and journal is harum-scarum (fancy having to turn back 320 pages manually to see what you did on your first day?), bartering system open for exploit, blablabla.
    • Ending sucks.

I think I'll try Tribunal though. Always wanted to meet Sotha Sil and Almilexa. Gotta see if the monsters are as tough as they claim, and if the journal has become better.
    [/list]

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I'm not going to buy it unless they give me a better means of locomotion (a battle donkey, for instance). All that schlepping from place to place without any real progress reminds me of when my mum used to force me to go shopping with her.

Sounds like it has good potential for the Type Thingâ„¢ Awards, though. Why don't you enter it into the "Best MMORPG" category?

3. Milo

Milo New Member

Maybe I'll give Tribunal a try. I was hyped up for it when it was first announced, but I hadn't actually got into Morrowind yet. And as it turns out, I never would. The game was just to slow for me. It was too much wandering around looking for shit to do. At an extremely slow pace, I might add.

Given the accolades the game got, I'm sure it's worth playing. I just never gave it a real shot. I still have it though. Once I work through the other games I have (Freedom Force is awesom, btw. Great fun.), I'll try it again. If I manage to get into it, I'll try the expansion.

4. Menion Ravenlock

Menion Ravenlock New Member

Naw I dont think so But I wish I had the time to play them I am playing way to many other games that are just very time consuming.

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm definitely up to get Tribunal. I play Morrowind now with two main characters - my Redguard guy in heavy armour with a longsword and shield (and is the Knight of the Imperial Dragon - coolest title - and working his way up in a couple of other factions), and an Argonian in medium armour with a spear, who happens to be the Patriarch of the Temple, Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild and Archmagister of the Telvanni.

I have plans to re-make another character, because I just screwed him up big time, and to start a completely new one. Then I'll try being a vampire, outlaw and novelty character, not necessarily in that order though.

I just basically spend my time now hunting down the artifacts listed in Tamrielic Lore (it's in the Corprusariam, next to Yagrum Bagram). Getting the Spear of Bitter Mercy is very cool, and the Daedric Crescent Blade is the coolest looking item I've ever come across. Divayth Fyr seems to have a disproportionate amount of artifacts in his possession (3 or so), but I guess when you've done as much collecting as he has, it's only to be expected.

6. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

I must remember to kill him someday. Guess I chickened out after looking at his script and noticing he's the highest level NPC in the game (lvl 60+).

Coolest looking. Have you ever seen your character use it to chop/thrust in third-person view? It looks positively ridiculous - even more silly than thrusting with a mace.

Ah yes, Tamrielic lore. Best account of things to find, ever.

I downloaded a mod for my archmagister character that I think you (or any Telvanni master) should try - it's called Uvirith Vault. Makes life worth living! It gives you an alchemy room to store your ingredients in and a storage room to display your weapons. (tables to display different types of rare armor, shelves to put your cool-lookin swords)There are even mannequins to display your armor!

Morrowind can be slow, no doubt. It gets better when your atheltics/acrobatics goes up, but still like S-F suggested - why aren't there any animals you can hire (you can buy slaves after all).

But er... a battle donkey? isn't that some kind of oxymoron :wink:. Maybe a pack guar.

7. Sheriff Fatman

You're on very dangerous ground. Don't make my ass come over there and kick your ass, tzehoong.

8. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

*?*
    *peers closely, very closely, at S_F's avatar for the first time*

:eek:

:oops:

:lol:

9. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I never have been able to figure out what it is that those two pungers are crossed over. It looks like some kind of malformed gold building or something.

10. Sheriff Fatman

Hey! That's a genuine Milo original you're talking about.

My avatar is a beauty. I didn't even notice the plungers for a while. When I did, I laughed my arse off, because the cheeky scamp only put them in there from a chat we had on IRC about ... no. You're not ready for that yet.

11. Windmills

Windmills New Member

Behind the plungers, it looks like Homer Simson in a red toga next to some greek coliseum-looking building.

What is it really, SF?

12. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I didn't say it looked bad. It's the best avatar here, in my humble opinion :D .
    Nevertheless, I have no idea what that gold thing in the background is.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Why don't you ask Milo? He created it, after all...

Speaking of avatars, I'm thinking about changing mine...Not that I don't like Cliff, I'd just like to see someone else when I make a post.

14. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Back to Tribunal...

Judging from what others thought, Tribunal gets the Official¹ Fan-Boy Seal of Approval™.

New armours are good, including better options for medium armour, and people's reactions to you (if you happen to be the head of their faction) are appropriate. Apparently there are some pathfinding issues with the pack rats you can get, and possibly hirelings, but hey, what's new?

¹May not be official. May not be correct.

16. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

YES! Did I hear you correctly? YES! Finally.

*ahem* though of course, they shuold have made them battle donkeys. Stupid Bethsheda. Stupid stupid.

I'm a bit wary about the Fan-Boy sources though.

"What brings you here, Patriarch? Have you been lax in your duties?"

=> chores

"Certainly. What can I do for you?"

(Nerevarine fresh back from slaying countless Ascended Sleepers, Golden Saints, Vampires; and let us not forget, doing away with Dagoth Ur, breaking down Ghostfence, and basically saving the world).

"What do you want, outlander?"

Geez. What does it take to be an inlander?

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I have one major gripe with Morrowind at the moment - the conversation system. They don't use what I consider conventional conversation trees (ala Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape - yes I actually did play through that a while ago and loved it), which contain quite a few errors due to the use of some dubious multipurpose flags (at least I'm guessing that's the case).

You see, my Redguard, who had nothing to do with any Great House, after defeating Dagoth Ur decided to have a little chat with the Duke Vedam Dren while I was in Ebonheart. Talking to him about his brother Orvas, and suddenly he's telling me I'm the Grandmaster of House Hlaalu...of course, being the Imperial Legionnaire that I am, I have no skills in common with the Great House. I am, however, a House Cousin or House Brother, without even trying.

At many other times, I've talked to someone about a particular topic, and because I've talked to someone else about it, they start answering questions I hadn't asked, or was going to ask. Very annoying, as it breaks the continuity and suspension of belief.

Now I'm just working for the Imperial Cult to hunt down artifacts while I'm waiting to get Goldbrand :D.

Our Host!