Allied Assault

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Nov 4, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. (PC) The most complete FPS I've played in a while. Anyone played this? The best part of the game so far was the D-Day invasion, the landing at Omaha Beach at Normandy. The scripting was awesome. It continued the entire battle, while I was pretty much free to storm the beach like a hero or cower behind a "hedgehog". On the way towards shore, you hear your C.O. hollering orders, soon you hear the incoming whistle of artillery, and if you happen to be looking to the left at the row of landing craft, one of them is hit by a shell, men flying everywhere. On the beach, some men cower in fright yelling. Men fall all around you. It was exactly like "Saving Private Ryan." It really made me take pause, at the bravery of the men that day, and the hell that war must be.

Anyway, the Omaha Beach landing is just one teeny mission in this game, but IMHO the best part. The missions are varied and different, enough to make each one interesting. There's no, "Oh no, not this shit again. Haven't I done this already?" At least not yet.

I realize that a lot of you guys don't really get into the military fps much, but this one is really really ....... lacking in faults.

2. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

That "Saving Pvt. Ryan" mission must have been the hardest FPS mission I've ever played... But it made me realise how the men there fought against the odds.

Everything in the game made sense I guess. The choice of weapons was good, and it was refreshing to see a shooter that did NOT have a myriad weapons just-because-they-could. Oh the coolness of the sniper rifle reloading..

Even the first mission was good. The riding-in-the-truck thing was great, followed by the ambush, and later following in the heels of the SAS agent to avoid the headlights...oooh.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. Won't spoil it for you, retard, but I'll say this: I bet you'll end up just like I did - "Huh? That's IT?"

Oh and your pistols aren't useless... you can do cool Jack Higgins (think Sean Dillion) moves with it. Aim for the kneecap and fire. The victim goes down on one knee; go up to him and thwack him on the head with the pistol butt (secondary fire).

Oh darn. I'm a Lord now. I liked my Master avatar better..

3. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Yes, the weapons are awesome. I must say to begin with, I knew I was gonna love using the M1. (This is the rifle they used in Saving Prvt. R., the one that when the clip is emptied, it ejects topwards with a very distinct "ping!") I'd rather use it than the submachine guns at any range at all. The only time I use the sub and the heavy machine guns are at close range with lots of Nazis. I don't like using the .30 caliber Springfield sniper rifle that much, but it usually takes the baddies out with one shot. Not having every single weapon ever made certainly added to the realism factor.

4. Milo

Milo New Member

I liked MOHAA. The game was well put together, which is something that I appreciate. Everything from the voice acting to the patriotic background music did a good job of immersing me into the game.

That beach invasion mission was hard as a frozen boner. You're riding in the troop transport, biding your time when all of a sudden you make the beach. The ramp drops and... HOLY SHIT! Confusion everywhere, men dropping around you left and right. You're scanning left and right, trying to remember your orders as you get the shit blown out of you from machine gun nests farther up the beach. Wow.

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

:drools:
    *makes a mental note that he's decided to buy a new game this weekend*

6. carlstar

carlstar New Member

blam blam

It was a good thing charging up the beaches while every decision you make will be good or bad. Being shoot is so heartening that the nazis singled you out, out of all the other allies, makes me feel oh so loved

"oh really you choose me"

When it finished i was left thinking "huh, the hell you say. What it's finished, where's my freakin medal".

7. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Re: blam blam

I feel like that after almost every game I finish (which isn't many these days).

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I liked it in general (story, weapons, missions) but I hated what they did to the engine (it's quake 3 engine, isn't it?). During the escape from the factory in the last mission the game literally freezed every so often. Also I hated that mission with a town full of snipers - they not only hid in very dark spots but also ducked right after shooting which mage locating them a real bitch. Movement is also a bit strange - not too fluent you could say. On general I would love this game were it done as good as Return to Castle Wolfenstein in the technical aspect. Still it is very good indeed.

9. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

? Don't remember that happening to me... of course I was too scared to notice anything much.

Yeah. I mean like, couldn't they have just missed and stood there waiting for me to cut 'em down? 8)

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

That would be dumb. I liked it when I had to aim at windows or drop in grenades. That was fun. But it's just plain stupid that I couldn't find one of the snipers. I knew the direction he was shooting from and checked every single corner and dark whole there but to no avail.

11. carlstar

carlstar New Member

snip

They're snipers. Your not meant to be able to see where they are. Thats the art of being a sniper. To fire and not be seen.

12. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I understand it dammit. Which does not change the fact that I did not like that mission.

13. carlstar

carlstar New Member

oh yeah the sniper thing was a bitch but mostly a disagree with the next post

14. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Anyone of you tried halo?
    Played it at a friend here the other day. Best FPS i have ever tried.
    And for those that has played it: ever tried throwing a plasma grenade at a alien?

15. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

If I had a console... Will Halo be released for PC too?

Our Host!