Divine Dinivity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Sep 19, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mael

Mael New Member

so did it?
    i dont want to see another game like morrowind where my interest faded away

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I only bought it Saturday, so it is too early to tell. One thing that is different right from the start - I WANT to play Div Div. With Morrowind, I kept making myself play it in the hopes it would get better, but with Div Div, I look forward to playing it and just hope that it doesn't get worse.

3. Mael

Mael New Member

ill just wait then
    i just hope the game would be available over here

4. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Well, I was considering getting it, till I read the above. After Planescape I swore never to buy a realtime combat game again........ Maybe I'm just stupid, cause it seems there are more realtime than turn-based combat out there...

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

It seems to be indemand right now - together with 3D graphics. Static (a game which many Fallout fans await) will have RT combat too :( Busieness is so cruel for us oldies.

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

7. Mael

Mael New Member

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Static looks interesting, allow though parts do seem very Fallout-esque. Such as the description of an item I saw, and the post-apocalyptic setting.

Not that I'm complaining though. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it's release, and if it's good, I buy.

9. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Interesting... sounds like a combination of the (terrible) anime Big O and 1984.

*edit* Ugh, these people graphics look worse than 32 bit...

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Unfortunately the game might never see store shelves. That's because, afaik, guys who make it don't have money to publish/distribute it. So they'll have to go in search of a company which will be interested in the project (like Troika did with Sierra). Suffice to say this may hurt the game just as if it never saw the daylight. That's one of the reasons it will have RT combat system - there's higher demand for that than for TB. Btw there was a very interesting discussion at their forums about "tb vs rt" in case someone wanted to read it.

11. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

This is the main ploblen with the computer game induntry in general they follow these fad like very games must have 3-d graphic even when not needed. I read in a report bussieness arenot buying the new 2.2 gigahert computer as that speed isnot need for accounting and other bussieness data progression at all. Only viedo editing companies need the 2.2 gigahert computer to edit viedo film only, the accounting and billing department use the older slower machine. Computer sales growth in America is in negrave number . The market with the greatest computer growth is to the third world nation. Only 40% of the USA population have personal computer at home the
    other 60% donot want then as they see no need for them.

12. Sheriff Fatman

Divine Divinity has 2D graphics, I think (I find it hard to tell). They might be like the Diablo 2D created, but 3D rendered, or something. Although I like the graphics, they're not amazing. I'd say they do the job, provide a pretty nice atmosphere, but they're not going to take your breath away. They're kind of a hybrid Diablo/Ultima.

The TB combat debate isn't really appropriate to this game. Like I said, it plays like an action-adventure. There is a lot of talking to people, but combat pops in and out of your life pretty regularly. If it was TB, I'd have been bored with it by the end of the first few quests.

I'd also like to retract my earlier comment about it being linear. It is only linear in the same way Arcanum is. The main plot is there and won't move unless you push it, but there are gazillions of minor and major side quests and you can do them in any order you please.

13. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

Burn in Hell the lot of you!!!
    This is no time to make me interest in new games, not only this one probably won’t be released here, but also their cost is too prohibitive right now.
    :evil: :evil: :evil:
    BTW anything good in Game Cube, Sheriff Fatman? My sister’s birthday is coming.

14. Sheriff Fatman

So far, the only game I have become attached to on my Cube is Gauntlet: The Dark Legacy. I've tried several others, including the much vaunted Super Smash Melee, but they seem ... empty. I bought 007 Agent Under Fire on Saturday, but Div Div playing leaves room for nothing else (except for my TA addiction), so I have not even tried it.

15. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Well, I played the Div Div demo last night... for about 4 hours straight... :)

I could easily get hooked - it's a great game so far. I like some of the minor, technical features almost as much as the game play - like the fact you can move the various windows around, like the inventory or mini map.

The graphics are nothing to brag about, but they are respectable and offer some decent eye candy (while standing beside a small pool of water, one's reflection ripples in the water, for example).

Probably the best thing is the whole interactivity. You can interact with just about every object. Moving stacks of crates around (one by one) can result in finding hidden goodies under or behind them... clicking on candles or torches will light or extinguish them... Want to move a chair? Just click and drag.

Combat is real-time, but with a nifty side benefit. You can pause (hit space bar), size up the foe, look over your inventory, select a different weapon, then click on the enemy to attack - and the game will unpause and carry out your orders. So for those who hate real time, there's a way around it. Also, it's not a complete click-fest. A single click on an enemy will cause your character to continue to attack it til it's dead (or you are!) unless you do something different.

Leading a monster toward the NPC's will actually cause them to get involved. A certain zombie proved too much for my wimpy level 2 warrior, so I led it toward a mage, who promptly blasted it to hell. A definite improvement over many games I've seen, where NPCs will happily watch a character get slaughtered...

The demo only offers the warrior class, so I didn't get to really play with magic or anything.

I also like that the character actually slows down as he gets encumbered. Not a simple "I can carry anything until I run out of room" type of inventory. I found myself having to drop some stuff because I was getting slowed to where my run was barely faster than my walk.

Hmm... I'm sure I left out something I meant to say, but... there's my initial 2 cents.

16. Mael

Mael New Member

now i definitely need to find this game

17. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I need a recomondation for a game. The game must not need a too good screencard 8MB. And not any shooters, any recomondations?

18. Sheriff Fatman

Div Div minimum specs say "8MB graphics card with 3D rendering"

19. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

You don't need a new game. You need a new graphics card! :p

Div Div would probably run on that, but... how well? I am leery of running anything at "Minimum Specs"

20. Sheriff Fatman

By way of a bump and some additional incentive, here's an image (that I've cropped a bit) showing some of the game's character:

[​IMG]

Note, I'm the guy on the left talking to a 13 yr old Duke. He's made me his lackey and wants me to give his girlfriend a letter.

BTW, I saw Calis is registered over on the DivDiv boards, and I think he has at least played the demo. I think he's keeping secrets from us!

Our Host!