A Small Consolation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Sep 15, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I managed to miss all the TDZK uptime through my visits to my relatives, but it isn't all bad; my brother rallied the family and the got me and Lysa a GameCube between them.

I've been thinking of getting a console for a while, for a bit of no-brain action, but couldn't afford one. Now I have one without paying. Sweet.

Can anyone recommend any games? They got me Rogue Leader, and I'll probably pick up Smash Bros Melee and the latest NBA, but I don't know much about others.

Is Pikmin any good?

What's a good GC driving game?

What's a decent GC shooty type thing (like Time Crisis)?

2. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

Ahhh, consoles, filled with mindless action. Gotta love that mindless action.

You've already named the good game cube games I know of.
    What about turok 3 or 4 or whatever? is that on gc or just xbox?

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Dunno. Super Mario Sunshine is supposed to kick ass though, if a little short. If you like Mario (and who doesn't like Italian plumbers who never seem to do any work apart from rescuing the same princess over and over?) then get this game. At least, that seems to be the general consensus.

Dunno. I'm not sure they even have any. Wave Racer would be the closest you could get I guess - Jet ski racing game.

It isn't out yet, but Metroid Prime will be a GC exclusive. So do a mega-happy dance of joy, because that game looks sweet as.

4. Sheriff Fatman

How pleasant to find there were closet console owners here all along

Mario can kiss my ass. Something about him gets on my tits. Super Monkey Ball looks cool for a platform (ie. a game for Lysa). What type of game is Mario Mansions? I read its description and am none the wiser.

Jet Ski racing doesn't do it for me. I suppose posing in a cut off wet suit isn't my style - not with my pale, thin legs. My brother said he half-remembered a game named Burn Out or something. Is there a GC driver called something like that?

Metroid Prime. I shall remember to look out for it. I tried the dance but tripped over a flower pot and had to stop to clear up the dirt from the carpet.

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I say sell the Gamecube and buy a PS2¹

I mean, it plays DVDs! DVDs!

¹Says the man with an N64... :D

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

/comes out of the closet yes i'm a console user, and rather disturbingly i find myself in agreement with DU, dump the gamecube and get a PS2, trust me i've got a N64, PS1, PS2 and an X-Box, the only one worth keeping is the PS2 the others are all shite!.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Pah! *spits* Phooey to that! (What the hell kind of word is phooey anyway?)

PS2 sucks - I'd prefer an X-Box controller to the PlayStation one, and I can't stand the X-Box controller. PS2 may have crapload of games, but they're all crap. I can't think of a single one I'd want to play. Unfortunately, Red Faction 2 is only coming out on PS2. Must go and cry about that now.

Fatman, if you're going to sell your GC (which I bet your rellies wouldn't be too pleased with), then do the right thing and get the original Nintendo 8-bit system and all the games on it. You could get them all for the price of a GC.

The only consoles I have are GameBoy (if you could classify it as a console, and I haven't played it for a year or more), Nintendo 8-bit and Nintendo 64. As you may have guessed, I liked Nintendo. Sega is now out of the console market really, and I hate PlayStation. X-Box is a black and neon green hunk of high-powered crap.

8. Sheriff Fatman

I'll not be selling the GameCube.

Thanks for the advice everyone, but - aside from the extra £60 I would have to find and the wrath of rellies - I'm guessing the GameCube has a bright future. As a bonus, the GC has a controller I can actually use, which the PS2 doesn't. I hate the 6-button layout thing, and the GC has moved on from that.

9. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

On GC I have only played Resident Evil. It is mostly brain-less, although slow, action, with some riddles thrown into it.
    The graphics are simply amazing; my aunt thought for a couple of minutes that it was a movie. The game-play is a bit hard to get used to, but after you do it’s OK and fits the mood.
    I have also watched a bit of something called “Sanity’s Requiem�. It not as beautiful and is more action oriented. It has a Lovecraft inspired story.

10. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

crawls back into the closet, as there's plenty of space now that everyone's out

Well no, i'm not much a console gamer. I have a PS2, but i haven't used that thing for ages.

Most, not all. I got Grand Theft Auto 3 when that was released, and i enjoyed it immensely. Depends if you like that sort of thing of course. Gran Turismo 3, great game as well. And finally Fifa 2001, not that good, but nice to have a game that can be played by more than one person.

11. Sheriff Fatman

Being a fogey, I went for Capcom vs SNK instead of the Super Smash wossname. Now I can pretend I'm back in a seedy Soho arcade joint again, with my shoes stuck to the floor and my fingers number from abusing a miniature joystick.

I also bought Extreme G 3. My limited exposure to consiles included the orginal on the N64 and I just love realistic sense of speed. I'll be flinching from every crash - which basically means I'll be in a state of constant flinch.

12. Milo

Milo New Member

I never figured you for the console type, Sheriff.

I know almost nothing about the current generation consoles except that the PS2 is good if you like Japanese RPGs, the XBox has Morrowind sans¹ expansions or patches, and the Gamecube has this really cool looking volleyball game with high res anime chicks in bikinis.

¹"sans" = "without", for those of you who don't speak italics.

Our Host!