Map Building

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by McCarthy, May 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. McCarthy

McCarthy New Member

Just wanted to say that I should be checking this fairly often. If there are any specific world-ed questions I will do my best to answer them.

2. Sawtooth

Sawtooth New Member

* raises his hand *

Yes...I do in fact have a question.

Most of the terrain in Arcanum must have been gererated randomly with things thrown in here and there. I'm guessing for the randomly generated areas there is a way to define the tile sets/items that will appear. Are they built in, or do we get to define the wilderness sets?

Also, how easy is it to make a path that leads between areas, is that all done by hand or is there a path drawing function?

3. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

*waves hello*

i'm intrested in the same as saw, how easy is it to build paths over the world map?

and there was talk about maybe letting us make art for the game, is this in or out?

4. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm... pretty sure about the following answers:

You can edit terrain specifically.

Worldmap is not allowed in Multiplayer... I'm not sure if its disabled for singleplayer mods. I would guess it is.

6. Calis

Calis Member

Anonymous:

The world map feature is disabled in mods; you won't be able to edit it or make your own world map for mods, but I think what Saw and Monkey meant was how easy is it to make, say, a dirt road that leads from one point to another?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-05-11 17:23 ]</font>

7. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

8. ratster

ratster New Member

I don't think there are any shortcuts to doing roads/paths. I asked about following them(from town to town) in the SP game over a year ago, and Shellman indicated that they didn't do that because it would take to long, i.e. you have to draw the road all the way. No marking the endpoints amd having it generated automatically.

Of course without access to a world map in SP mods, I would't think making huge areas would be advisable.

My strategy would be to make reasonable sized areas and connect them logically through "portals". Sort of like BG, only without the silly random encounters in never never land, where resting isn't allowed. :wink:

9. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

or just make one area, or alternativly many, just close close to each other :smile:

anyway, i had an other question as well...

10. omnipotent_256

omnipotent_256 New Member

i have a couple of questions.

1. can you make the player switch characters for a short time?(in a single player mod. all of these are for single player mods)

2. can you(probably a stupid question) make a player overhear a conversation?

11. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Anonymous:

The world map feature is disabled in mods; you won't be able to edit it or make your own world map for mods, but I think what Saw and Monkey meant was how easy is it to make, say, a dirt road that leads from one point to another?

YES but you can teleport yes ?

Go in that circle press a swich and viola you are teleported.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The overhearing thing...

Easy: Just have the conversation trigger when you get 'close' enough to eavesdrop, and make the only dialogue choices be [Listen] or [Leave].

Obviously, you'd need to be inventive to make it look realistic.

13. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

14. omnipotent_256

because how can you use world map (that compresses the time) when there are other people playing?

15. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

16. Wojit

Wojit New Member

Being able to do different things in single-player mods than in Multi-player mods would be all confusing

In my opinion

17. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Why should it? Having a world map for SP mods should be the norm

18. Plastic_Couch

Plastic_Couch New Member

here is /a/ MOD-related question to anyone... Is there a point in making a big singleplayer MOD? It always seems like MP MODS are always better (counterstrike, etc) And since I've been working on my SP MOD, should I continue, or drop the damn thing?

P.S> is there a way to advertise or something a big SP MOS?

19. omnipotent_256

of course there is a point. first of all, for people with slow connections, like me, a mod you have to play online isnt going to be as appealing. of course, mp mods will be fun, but sp mods will be too.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SP mods are a must for me. I sure won't play MP because it often lags and gets expensive and requires lots of coordination with fellow players in order to get to the game you want to play (which ultimately means you have to spend your life online, which I don't want to).
    I particularly would like to create SP mods for my son for instance, so even without the net I'd still want to build mods.

Our Host!