My Arcanum 2 website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xento, Jun 22, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Would you visit my Arcanum 2 website when I get it running?

1. I cant wait!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sure!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe.....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nothing better to do.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Why bother? It probably stinks!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xento

xento New Member

I need help!

Can someone please help me? I am making an Arcanum 2 ideasite/ Arcanum fansite, but I need a message board. I checked the internet and there are many free message boards, but they have very limited capabilities, and I have my own ideas, plus, they have those bad-looking banner ads or pop-up ads.

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial that will give me a detailed explanation of how to make a message board? Actually, some of my ideas are rather like this board, but they r a little different. I need a tutorial that will let me make something similar to this. HELP!

2. Milo

Milo New Member

Dude, coding your own message board in Perl or PHP is harder than you may think... Even if you are capable of doing it, it's a lot or work.

If your host supports php and can give you a MySQL (or PostgreSQL) database, try phpBB. You've got nothing to lose, since it's free. That's the message board software that this forum is using. There's alot of hacks that you can do to phpBB, and a pretty active community supporting it.

If your host supports ASP, give Snitz (???) board a try. I think it's called Snitz forum... A google search should turn up the website.

Finally, the message board software isn't what puts those ad banners at the top, the host does. If you pay for decent hosting, you won't have any advertisements unless you want to put some there.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You do realise that making an Arcanum 2 site is about as pointless as making a Fallout 3 site - the game won't be made for years, if it ever is at all. Troika don't have a contract with Sierra at the moment, and Sierra own the Arcanum license.

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Well, he could treat it as a learning experience. Getting better at HTML and running a site or whatever.

Jar has a point, though. This is one of the busier Arcanum boards out there, and look at how much traffic the Arcanum 2 forum gets. There's like 4 posts there and it's been around for months now.

5. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

But the Fallout 3 forum at DAC is pretty active...

6. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yes well it was busier..... before the Sector31 went and crapped themselves that is *grumble* *grumble*. Used to be 12 threads in there.... *grumble* *grumble*

And Fallout 3 has always been a busy topic for suggestions Kozmo. Mainly because Fallout was an inherently better game than Arcanum. Of course, that makes it a bitch if you want to read all the god-damn FO3 suggestion threads.... Especially when half of them turn out to be:
    "I wan fo3 ta be rael-time coz reel-time si k3wl!!11!!11!!!"

Hmmm..... Maybe that's why there's not many threads in there? There aren't any turn-based vs real-time battles raging across the Arcanum land scape?

7. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Was and is. If Arcanum 2 was announced I wouldn't be interested...

8. xento

xento New Member

Well, my website is going to keep track of the progress of Arcanum 2's making as well.

By the way, anyone who helps me with my site, message board, info, etc. will be given quite sufficient credit for your help.

Oh, yes, and I need help that uses stuff that is FREE! I dont have a credit card or anything so I cant pay for online services.

9. DarkUnderlord

Either you know something the the rest of us don't..... Or you're confused :wink:

There's no word from Troika about Arcanum 2 being made.

10. xento

xento New Member

Perhapse you are right, however, they give pretty good hints. Example: in Troika's FAQ, the question "Will there be an Arcanum 2" was listed. the answer was "We hope for there to be, but our publisher wants us to wait and see what the overall sale of Arcanum is"

If you cant take a hint from that, I think that we r in trouble.

Ahem, anyway, if I use your help, Milo, I will put you in a Thanks page and give you the ability to be a moderator of the message board for ur help. Sufficient thanks? If you want more that is in my power, just ask.

11. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I thought they said "we're not working on Arcanum 2 yet"

12. gamenut

gamenut New Member

13. Milo

Milo New Member

I definitely think an Arcanum 2 MMORPG might or might not be doable.

14. xento

xento New Member

Tell me the truth, who here would go to my site if an Arcanum 2 was guaranteed of being made? The truth. If no one would come, then I wont make it. Will you come, view the site, and post messages on the message board?

P.S. the site will use Flash

15. DarkUnderlord

Yes.

Well.... I am pretty busy spamming up this message board.... I'm sure I could find the time to spam yours up to buggery as well though.

NO!!!! FLASH IS EVIL!!! FLASH is a tool of the devil and is over-used unnessecarily.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think this site would probably cover Arcanum 2 if it came out...I mean, there aren't separate sites for Fallout and Fallout 2. So I'd have to say, most likely not. Not unless you had some article or something that no one else had.

17. xento

xento New Member

Dark underlord, is that a joke or is Flash really a bad thing? I mean, it would help make a very nice and interactive interface for the site. I thought it would look nice...

18. DarkUnderlord

No

Yes.

It probably will, if you can pull it off. But entire sites in Flash can really suck sometimes. Long load times (waiting.... waiting...) and the rest, just for a fancy menu.

19. xento

xento New Member

Well, I would just have a Flash menu... and maybe a few other small things to make it look better.... but I dont mean an entire flash site like at shockwave.com..... just the menu and stuff.

Also, anyone know of a real good free web host that gives good space, good bandwidth, possibly no ads, allows FTP, and supports PHP and MySQL.

20. Milo

Milo New Member

Hahaha, not likely! Maybe a few years ago when advertisers were paying good money for hits, but not anymore. You'll have to pay for that kind of service. That is unless you hook up with a game site hosting network like the one that Terra-Arcanum uses. I don't know how likely they would be to host a site that, in all likelyhood, won't generate many unique hits, and will most likely be redundant. Like Jar pointed out above, if there was going to be an Arcanum 2, then all the Arcanum sites would be covering it.

Don't let all that stop you, though. Get yourself a geocities or prohosting account, Tripod or one of the other free webspace providers. You won't get any of the fancy stuff (ie, none of the features you listed above), but it's a start. For a messageboard, you could get a free ezboard. Free hosts that will give you php and a MySQL database tend to either (a)not accept new sign-ups, (b)want an already established site that generates alot of traffic, or (c)are fly-by-night jobs that are hosted on their dad's cable modem, just waiting for their ISP to catch them and revoke service.

Our Host!