A new name, a new man?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vyaas, Jun 20, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Whoa. Are you somehow implying that you like Shiloh? I can't stand those type of movies...you know, those chick flick/kiddie drama/anything that tries and pulls your heartstrings. Makes me leave the room until the movie is finished.

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

There, there, Jar-in-whore. Lets get a handle on your feelings of animosity towards anything that may cause sadness, or bittersweet joy. You seem to be running from something. Lets go back to your childhood.

Tell me about your mother.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

No. I just wanted to say Jar-in-whore.

I'd be a little concerned if I were you, though. The way you describe yourself makes you sound like an emotional cripple. I'm not fond of gratuitous melodrama, and contrived romance just seems lame, but genuinely provocative or powerful movies are the best kind.

Action films are great, comedies are great, but everything in moderation.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Shiloh was the second great battle of the American Civil War, the battle ended with the withdrawal of Confederate troops but is was not a Union victory.

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

wow. how come none of the americans knew that?

6. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

stand by your man and show the world you love him

7. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

8. Vyaas

Vyaas New Member

Many Americans did know that. But we probably weren't referring to that, wow, you called someone by the name of a Civil War battle you must be killed! So Jinxed here just guessed as to what it related to and told us of the battle. It isn't like people in other countries don't study American culture.

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Vyass, read up, I made it up, and posted it to see if anyone knew...

10. Ioo

Ioo New Member

So no one came up with a name (except poo, rather bad imagination) for me?..

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

12. Ioo

Ioo New Member

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Chew?
    Blue?
    Canoe?
    Glue?
    Pie-Ooh! (Yum)
    Screw?
    Pieeooh! (smells)
    Phew!
    Bye-You!

All lame, but just so you don't feel left out! :wink:

15. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

The Battle of Shiloh

(Battle Map)

The First Day
    April 6, 1862

With the loss of Forts Henry and Donelson in February, General Johnston withdrew his disheartened Confederate forces into west Tennessee, northern Mississippi and Alabama to reorganize. In early March, General Halleck responded by ordering General Grant to advance his Union Army of West Tennessee on an invasion up the Tennessee River.
    Occupying Pittsburg Landing, Grant entertained no thought of a Confederate attack. Halleck's instructions were that following the arrival of General Buell's Army of the Ohio from Nashville, Grant would advance south in a joint offensive to seize the Memphis & Charleston Railroad, the Confederacy's only east-west all weather supply route that linked the lower Mississippi Valley to cities on the Confederacy's east coast.
    Assisted by his second-in-command, General Beauregard, Johnston shifted his scattered forces and concentrated almost 55,000 men around Corinth. Strategically located where the Memphis & Charleston crossed the Mobile & Ohio Railroad, Corinth was the western Confederacy's most important rail junction.
    On April 3, realizing Buell would soon reinforce Grant, Johnston launched an offensive with his newly christened Army of the Mississippi. Advancing upon Pittsburg Landing with 43,938 men, Johnston planned to surprise Grant, cut his army off from retreat to the Tennessee River, and drive the Federals west into the swamps of Owl Creek.
    In the gray light of dawn, April 6, a small Federal reconnaissance discovered Johnston's army deployed for battle astride the Corinth road, just a mile beyond the forward Federal camps. Storming forward, the Confederates found the Federal position unfortified. Johnston had achieved almost total surprise. By mid-morning, the Confederates seemed within easy reach of victory, overrunning one frontline Union division and capturing its camp. However, stiff resistance on the Federal right entangled Johnston's brigades in a savage fight around Shiloh Church. Throughout the day, Johnston's army hammered the Federal right, which gave ground but did not break. Casualties upon this brutal killing ground were immense.
    Meanwhile, Johnston's flanking attack stalled in front of Sarah Bell's peach orchard and the dense oak thicket labeled the "hornet's nest" by the Confederates. Grant's left flank withstood Confederate assaults for seven crucial hours before being forced to yield ground in the late afternoon. Despite inflicting heavy casualties and seizing ground, the Confederates only drove Grant towards the river, instead of away from it. The Federal survivors established a solid front before Pittsburg Landing and repulsed the last Confederate charge as dusk ended the first day of fighting.

The Second Day
    April 7, 1862

Shiloh's first day of slaughter also witnessed the death of the Confederate leader, General Johnston, who fell at mid-afternoon, struck down by a stray bullet while directing the action on the Confederate right. At dusk, the advance division of General Buell's Federal Army of the Ohio reached Pittsburg Landing, and crossed the river to file into line on the Union left during the night. Buell's arrival, plus the timely appearance of a reserve division from Grant's army, led by Major General Lewis Wallace, fed over 22,500 reinforcements into the Union lines. On April 7, Grant renewed the fighting with an aggressive counterattack.
    Taken by surprise, General Beauregard managed to rally 30,000 of his badly disorganized Confederates, and mounted a tenacious defense. Inflicting heavy casualties on the Federals, Beauregard's troops temporarily halted the determined Union advance. However, strength in numbers provided Grant with a decisive advantage. By midafternoon, as waves of fresh Federal troops swept forward, pressing the exhausted Confederates back to Shiloh Church, Beauregard realized his armies' peril and ordered a retreat. During the night, the Confederates withdrew, greatly disorganized, to their fortified stronghold at Corinth. Possession of the grisly battlefield passed to the victorious Federal's, who were satisfied to simply reclaim Grant's camps and make an exhausted bivouac among the dead.
    General Johnston's massive and rapid concentration at Corinth, and surprise attack on Grant at Pittsburg Landing, had presented the Confederacy with an opportunity to reverse the course of the war. The aftermath, however, left the invading Union forces still poised to carry out the capture of the Corinth rail junction. Shiloh's awesome toll of 23,746 men killed, wounded, or missing brought a shocking realization to both sides that the war would not end quickly.
    Source: "The Atlas of the Civil War" by James M. McPherson

sounds like a battle to me[/quote]

16. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Thanks, Ferret, I was about to cry.

3dogs, Battle Map won't show up on my computer... :roll:

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

And people complain about the costs of terrorism...Look how many Americans killed each other, primarily over their right or non-right to have slaves.

I always lose track of who is on who's side in these battles. All those damn names, and every other guy is called Johnson, Johnstone, Johnston, Grant, etc etc etc.

18. Vyaas

Vyaas New Member

Well, here's a run down. Ulysses(Not actualy his real name, however as a child he was a loner, rode horses often and earned the nick name) S. Grant.=Union. Robert E. Lee=Confederate.

However, there were many reasons for the war. Some more economical than political. For Example the Confederates were quite weak. They scarcely had arms and supplies, often they had to go out and steal from Union trains. The Union was very industrialized and had all the money. As the saying goes, "The Union was created to make the money, the Confederates to spend it."

My theory:As with most American wars, it was done mostly for the money. Abolishing slavery was a secondary objective/cover up. The Gulf War for example. Fought for the precious, precious oil.

19. Ioo

Ioo New Member

So, south went to war even though they scarcely had arms and supplies?.. Quite common to the American nation.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Slavery was a cover-up objective for the Civil War? That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard! Washington declared slavery to be illegal, the South said "Dewd, fuck that!" and they had a war.

Of course the Gulf War had oil as a major objective...if the Iraqi's controlled Kuwait, where do you think the US would get their oil from in the future? That was an economic war, the Civil War was more of an idealistic one.

Our Host!