Compassion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dormouse, Jun 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dormouse

dormouse New Member

Judging from the demo i am a little bit dissapointed by the choices you have in
    various quests.

Neither could i persuade
    Arbala to remove his curse from the bandits, which makes a nice, homely, little cave a rather unpleasant place, with the ghost
    of a criminal lurking there, and will probably make the poor old priest feel guilty in later years.

Nor was i able to give the pointless
    lukan over to the local law, how inappropriate the constable ever may be.

As a compassionate character i would have loved to come back a few months later and hear of his turning away from the dark side, while building a redundant bridge. for the village, or, if compassion must be punished, of him raping the houses and setting fire to the women because i didn't kill him.

2. Spook

Spook New Member

Considering that they killed Arbalas family, I´m not supprised that it was impossible to convince him to remove the curse.

As for giving the priest a bad consious at later time, I´m quite sure that if he would get that he could simply remove his curse.

As for not being able to capture lawbrakers and hand them over to the law, it seems to be a common problem in RPG games. It would be nice to be able to take prisoners by using blunt weapon and knock them unconsious. You could then tie them up and hand them over to the law, but as I said this is generaly a lacking element in RPG games.

3. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

About handing over criminals to the law.

Maybe it will be possible to do a script in the world editor. Something, like you get a quest to locate someone evil. You have the option to either kill them or knock them unconscious. If you kill them you can maybe script some item in their possesion that will give you gold or something. An item that you couldn't pick-pocket while he/she was alive.

Or if you don't kill 'em, you could knock them unconsious and then return to whom ever gave you the quest and tell them that the person can be found at a location.

I don't think it will be to difficult to script that into a dialogue. I read somewhere that you can script items to be hidded or locked to the inventory of the NPC's

/PeeCee

4. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

but really putting in scripts for every criminal in the game to be able to be handed over to the cops is just plain unfeasable unless you would like for Troika to spend the next 2 years making the game.

5. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

I didn't mean for Troika to do this, but for us to do it our self in the world-ed. Also you don't have to do it for every criminal. I know that this goes against my prior post a little, but to have some side quests that allows you to go bountyhunting. This could be for exp points only. I haven't fully understood the scope of the world-editor, but I understand that it will be enormous. I will try to add a dialogue that will offer the PC the chance to go on a hunt to track down a criminal. If it is possible that is. You might be able to have an item that is locked to a dialogue. So if you accept to go hunt for this miscreant the item will appear in their backpack. A dogtag or something. But as I said. I don't know if this will be possible in the editor.

6. Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker New Member

Actually if they're smart (And I think they are) they just make one script with easily adjustable variables for location etc. and then use that one with some very slight changes for all of them.

7. ArchAngel

ArchAngel New Member

What I think would be cool is if you could pick up unconsious/dead bodies. That way if a follower dies in the wilderness you could take him to be revived somewhere. Also you could carry law breakers to jail this way.

One thing I thought would be cool was bank. I thought you would be able to store items/money there, but you can't do that. Of course for storage you could pick a trashcan or chest somewhere and dump your stuff there. It will stay there the troika ppl said it'll stay that way in the final too.

8. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

According to the uberfaq (I think) you can't pick up dead bodies. (Wonder if you can ressurect them, or their spirits) And as for banks I don't yhink that will be in, but you might be able to do it your self in the editor.

9. Aldin

Aldin New Member

You can't pick them up, but I'm pretty sure I remember you can push them...

10. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Such a quest exists in Fallout 2 (the miner that did something to a "working" girl )

11. ArchAngel

ArchAngel New Member

I wasn't saying i thought you could. I was saying i thought it would be cool if you could.

12. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

You press alt to pick up or push bodies ( one of them any way ) and you canalso use it to smash inanimate objects (lights, doors, steam engines, blocks of wood, safes etc.)

13. ArchAngel

ArchAngel New Member

Cool but its more of a pull then push/pick up. It would really sux if you follower died in the wilderness without any revive scrolls.

14. Aldin

Aldin New Member

I wonder how persistent a follower's body is. I mean, can you run to town, buy a revive scroll and go back to where they died to revive them? Is their presumed eventual disappearance time or distance based? Anyone know?
    ~Aldin

15. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

Bodies rot afta 24 ores an de bode mavev ting id fa thieves ta stoop da cops from findin ana evadans

16. Calis

Calis Member

Ok, it's official. Amos finally snapped.

Ok, it's official. Amos finally snapped.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-07-07 08:26 ]</font>

17. Wojit

Wojit New Member

18. perriman

perriman New Member

The only dead people I know who you can't resurrect are the ones who died in the blimp crash. I've tried it, a message that says something like "this character cannot be resurrected" pops up....or something to that effect.

There are a lot of bugs with respect to the whole resurrection thing - I accidentally pissed off a dwarf. He attacked me and I had to kill him. I tried resurrecting him and he came back to life, only to attack me once again. Moreover, if someone vital to a quest you're finishing dies, and you resurrected that individual, the quest becomes botched, even after you brought the person back to life.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: perriman on 2001-07-09 03:04 ]</font>

19. Azira

Azira New Member

Argh, shiver me timbers, mate!

Well, that's because they still remember that you killed them, Perriman. And maybe they think that you only resurrected them to torment them some more? :smile:

Just don't kill the important people, OK? :smile: Or at least have a fate point ready to force a good reaction.

Our Host!