Thoughts on the demo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Srekel, May 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Srekel

Srekel New Member

It isn't that great. But I know its just a demo, and not exactly the final build, so I'm not too worried. Here are some things that I don't like though.

The interface is a bit random I feel. It takes a bit getting used to, but I guess it might be nice after a while. The thievingskills button on the action screen (where you walk around and talk to people etc.) only gives you four skills, and none of them are Lockpicking, so I have no idea how to break into the bank. I don't have any skill points in it yet, so that might be why, but I don't have any skill points in pickpocketing either, and that I can do. Maybe I need a lockpick?

I can pick pockets from a guy that stands 5 meters in front of me, strange..

Guards walk in their own footsteps, exactly in the same footsteps, which look a bit redicolous.

Very important : You see almost nothing in the action screen, its too small, too zoomed in. It was just right in fallout. I hope i can change resolution in the real game though, that would make it ok I guess (since it would zoom out, I assume.)

I gave the ring to a small guy who really wanted it, but still Virgil and my PC seems to think I still have it. Did I give it to the right guy (in other words, did he trick me)? My PC should still think he gave it to the right person...

In the room with two dead bodies, I find a note, but I have no idea of how to read it. I put it in Virgil's inventory but that didn't help.

Some barrels you can look inside, some you can not.. that's strange.

Hmm that's about it that I can think of right now.

Oh, and just one skillpoint/level seems a bit low, but maybe its not. I'm only on level 2 right now..

The map button that makes you move the map around isn't exactly optimal either.

And the mouse is too slow, I'd really like a sensitivity changer in the options.

2. Calis

Calis Member

Yep, just get lockpicks and use those.

These would be your awesome telekinetic pickpocketing powers. :wink:

Sorry, the final is 800x600 as well...

That's a bug in the demo, but you shouldn't just trust that gnome...

Go to your inventory screen and drag the note to the "hand" icon on the right-hand side of the screen.

You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard for that as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-05-10 02:56 ]</font>

3. Srekel

Srekel New Member

ah, ok thanks, that made things a bit more clear. Does someone from the troika team read these boards or should I send my comments to another board as well?

4. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

I actually like the barrels thing. One of the things I didn't like about Fallout was having to search everything, even though only a few things had good stuff in them.

5. Srekel

Srekel New Member

I haven't checked this out so I don't really know, but if it is something in everything that can be checked out, then its a good feature. If some of them still are empty though, that would be strange..

6. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Some barrels, chests, cabinets are 'containers' the rest are 'art'. Containers, provided you don't break them, can be interacted with. Having them highlight makes searching a lot easier. Would you want to stash your techie's stuff in a barrel only to return a few days later and have to search each one of a dozen because you forgot which one you used?

7. Srekel

Srekel New Member

8. _Strider_

_Strider_ New Member

And also, you can't pick someones pockets who is 5 meters away from you. You can open the pickpocket screen, but when you drag something over then you have to walk to the person.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Strider_ on 2001-05-10 10:16 ]</font>

9. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

on the point of the map interaction i was wondering that in the full game you obviously have much larger towns does this mean that u have to walk all the way to the outside of town in order to do overland waypointing or is the town broken up?

10. ratster

ratster New Member

You have to leave the town area in order to use world map travel, so yes this basically means you need to walk/run to the outskirts of town... unless you have the teleport spell.

11. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

well that is not good news then cause i find it annoying jus gettin to the outskirts of shrouded
    :smile:
    do you know if they were changin that between the beta an the full game?
    and did you find it a problem if you werent playin a mage?

12. ratster

ratster New Member

Did not find it a problem really. 2 reasons- you can use the town map waypoint system(which will have the fogging removed in the final), or using the mouse and the arrow keys along with "always run" option allows me to cover ground very quickly. I can get out of Tarant(the largest city) in less than a minute, from no matter where I am in the city(without using the subway).

13. Genocide Angel

Genocide Angel New Member

I still find getting out of a town a serious hassle.I just want out! One button! No stuffy running to edges,bad scolling and short sighted waypoints! If there is a problem (like a hostile encounter) THEN they can force me to run thorugh the town.If all is clear,I just want to click once to leave the place.

14. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

yeh i have to agree with GA (for once) i think you should have a third button to go to town map, local overland, and world map

15. dormouse

dormouse New Member

For once i agree with the angel, but on the other hand.... It takes a few minutes to reach the station in real life too, so it is equivalent.

btw, i hope i can do overland travels at least from the train station or the zeppelin-port directly.

16. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

Yeh but I dont think that type of realism is needed in a CRPG do you?

17. dormouse

dormouse New Member

On could always argue that it adds to the imersion of the player in the world.

18. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

I think i could argue that it adds to the annoyance of the player but i will have to reserve my final opinion until i have played the full game really
    :smile:

19. dormouse

dormouse New Member

If it wasn't for just opposing you, i would agree.

20. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

the problem might be that you can with ease escape battles, and other hardship if you could just escape town with the press of the button.

take the crash site, if you could just walk away through the world map you would miss the headstone, and the "dark-evil-elf-who-wants-to-kill-you" encounter.

or you could get into a room, say through a one way street(for some reason you can't go back the other way, and the new way is really dangerus, so what do you do? well you use the world map. imo that would be a problem.

and as ratster wrote, getting out from tarant is not really a pain, and well tarant is perhaps the largest town in the game,

Our Host!