For all you wine experts....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vlad the Imposter, Mar 11, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

What is your favorite wines and why? My wife and I enjoy wine, but never seem to find one we like.

I enjoy cooking with it an much as I like drinking it. Unfortunately the stuff I like to cook with I don't like drinking, and vice versa.

So, I am coming to this font of knowledge and asking your opinions.

2. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

I like red wine a lot, but my favourite wine is a white wine called "Lindemann's".

It's kinda cheap, but it's probably the best (and yet affordable!) wines I have ever tasted...

3. Zed Blacksword

Zed Blacksword New Member

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

You've yet to find a wine you like, but somehow manage to enjoy it, anyway? I'm going to have to assume that you mean you've had trouble finding one you both like.

I'm a wine wimp. Can't take red, and won't drink white if it is too heavy. Chardonnay is about the border for me - some are okay, some are too heavy. French ones are generally too heavy, but Australian ones are pretty nice.

The wines I currently enjoy most (being light whites) are Piesporter and Pino Grigio.

I'm not in anyway a wine expert. I don't have much breadth of experience, and don't drink wine often. I only replied because you don't seem to have had many other responses yet.

5. Vlad the Imposter

You are correct Sheriff. I enjoy drinking it because it is always a good buzz. I don't get filled up like I do when I drink beer and it doesn't give me a hang-over like hard liquor.
    If I find one I like, my wife doesn't like it and vice versa. I would also like to find one that I can cook with and drink too. Most of the wines that I like to cook with are not palatable.

6. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Rockwater, brusdram, karsk. For some really obvious reason i always :throwup: when drinking wine. But i have a tip: in spain they micks bad wine with coke, it still tastes bad though.

7. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

There is a good shiraz made by Black Opal (Aussie), also try a Beaujolais I like Georges Dubouf ( I know that is spelled wrong), for white chardonnay is too sweet and fruity for me give me a nice sauvignon blanc or my favorite is Verdillac a white Burgandy. All of the above mentioned wines are cheap at around $10 hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThreeDogs on 2002-03-11 10:31 ]</font>

8. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Anything that comes in a 5liter cardboard box. That or Boones Farm but only if the Mad Dog and Night Train is sold out.

I mean hey you gotta have your standards.

9. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I prefer dry wines. In the reds, I go with Cabernet Sauvignon. Robert Mondavi, from California, makes a really good one. Moderately priced depending on the year. Especially good with steaks.
    I like Pinot Noir with lighter beef dishes, and with "red" pastas, like spaghetti and lasagna.It also works with fish steaks, like swordfish. Again, Mondavi is good.
    With poultry and flaky fish I go with white wine. Chardonnays and Pinot Blancs are my favorites. I don't have a favorite brand, just whatever's dry and of a good vintage. Whites from Cali are pretty inexpensive. Once again, Mondavi is a safe bet. Australia has also turned out some decent white wines.
    I stay away from sweet white wines, like Rieslings. They're just too overpowering for my taste. But, if you like them, stick with the German brands. They're the most consistent.
    Of course, blush wines will go with almost anything. Berringer is much better than Sutter Home, IMO, and a little dryer.
    Ports I only drink with a cheese course. I think Remy Martin has some good ones. Depends on the vintage, of course.
    Champagnes are my favorite. I prefer, in order of price, White Star, Mumm's and Dom Perignon. White Star is the dryest, and is good for brunches. Mumm's Cordon Rouge is a little sweeter, and I like it all by itself.
    Bought three cases for Mardi Gras a few years back.
    Dom is so sweet that I only use it for dessert courses. And I thinks it's way overpriced, too.

I don't drink Spanish wines much. Maybe a port here and there. And as for Greek Retsina...YUCK! The most foul beverage I've ever consumed.

Things to look for in a good wine:

A cork, not a bottlecap
    They don't advertise on television
    They don't have it at the convenient store

10. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

Port is from Protugal, Sherry is from Spain.

11. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

12. Vlad the Imposter

Thanks for all the input. The problem now is that I will have to personally try them all out (except for the ones that Otto mentioned). If my typing becomes erratic you will know why.

13. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

I would not be so quick to judge Otto's choices. If you need another review you can generally find a person of that quality and station slumped in front of most 7-11s.

14. Vlad the Imposter

Our Host!