how can you suck at diablo2? its an rpg type thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ioo, Feb 18, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Or "a real challenge" to fuckwits like Ioo and "an entertainment (type thing)" to people of low intelligence or above.

2. gamenut

gamenut New Member

I once played to a level 50 barbarian because I was bored. Don't say it. I'll say it for you. I played a loooonnnnng time. I was really bored. I ran around killing all I could with one swing.

3. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Sheriff seems to be gearing up for a revolt... can't stand being the shadow of the great spammer anymore?

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, I got to level 64 or 65 with my Bowazon...in single player as well...the hours I wasted holding down the right mouse button...

5. Sheriff Fatman

Lysa got her Trapassin up to 75 and my Bearid is currently 74. Sorry for the lame names, I just wanted to prove I'm a Diablo vet :wink:

Yeah, Ioo, that's exactly it. I am trying to compete with you. Your posts are so cool, and everyone loves you so much, I just have to try to be you. I ... I think ... I think I love you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-22 18:38 ]</font>

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think that loo should change his sig to reflect his enormous popularity here...

"Loved by all, especially Sheriff Fatman."

7. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'm starting up a new club. It's called:
    "The I Love Ioo Association"
    Or "TILIA" for short. Anyone want to join?

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You know, it really should be the "TINIA" - The I Need Ioo Association. A small change, but an important one nonetheless :smile:.

9. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Well since I am really bored and I found that this thread looks pretty interesting(I didnt read it all though). I will tell you what I think.

A computer game can not be an RPG. You dont role dice now do you? So then it cant be a ROLE playing game. Yes Diablo 2 is clasified as a RPG but is it really one? Is Arcanum one? Is Baldurs Gate one? Is the RPG forum an RPG?

10. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

If you think that's all there is to an RPG, then every game is an "RPG" by that shallow definition. You're a space marine in Doom, it must be an RPG!

Just find someone with Diablo 2 to help you get past Diablo.

11. Quethim

Quethim New Member

And the definition of a RPG for a computer would be: Gaining levels,gaining skills,an adventure, playing a character with a personality,and a whole lot more. Yes Diablo2 is a RPG for the computer game definition. It has level gaining, skill gaining, an adventure, finding items, special quests, and a whole lot more. I like Diablo2 it is a really fun game and I like the way they did the items. Where an item randomly comes. Not much RPGs have that way of using weapons.

12. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Quethim, how is rolling dice roll (get it?) playing?..

And thanx for the sig advice, I'll do that.

13. Gonk

Gonk New Member

Um, Quethim. Dice rolls are used for aiding randomization in RPG's. The dice themselves aren't necessery for a RPG. It's just a tool to aid the gamemaster.

14. gamenut

gamenut New Member

I bought two new computer games yesterday. They were Throne of Darkness and Fallout 2. Is it just me or is Throne of Darkness very similar to a Diablo 2 based in Japan?

15. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

By that definition, Diakatana in an RPG.

16. Sheriff Fatman

Q., an RPG is simply one where the point of the game is to role-play. It has nothing to do with throwing dice or gaining levels. Free-form role-playing, often the choice of purists (or just people who like to do things to let them feel superior) generally has little more than a narrator (GM) and a bunch of players, held in line through shared attitudes.

There is a difference between a game having a role-playing element and being a roleplaying game.

Any game putting the player in a role other than his normal one can be considered to have an element of role-playing. This would even be true in a game that allowed you to "play yourself" (not to be confused with Ioo's playing with himself), if that game put you in a situation other than one you would normally encounter, because you would be playing a role.

Games where the point is role-playing are more often game systems, such as D&D or GURPS, which enable people to create scenarios for each other, make characters, and role-play those characters in the scenarios.

So far, the computer versions of this have rarely provided fully fledged gaming systems. They're more often an application of a specific set of game system mechanics, resulting in a computer version of a scenario, or possibly campaign.

NVN might be a step towards something more, but that remains to be seen.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'd like to point out, Quethim, that if your idea of roleplaying is dice-throwing, then you have to include a large bunch of middle-aged kids who are obese, sweat constantly, and think that there's only one food group, which is pastries. Also, heaps of kids around your age.

I am talking, of course, about Warhammer gamers. All they do is throw dice, measure stuff in inches and argue "Your space marine can't see my orc! There's a tree in the way!"

"Look, buddy, he can, I put my head to the desk, and I could see your orc. It's not my fault he's crap with a gun and my space marine is a hardcore badass."

18. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Even in Australia *sigh*. Is no place safe from Games Workshop?

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The concept isn't that bad really. It's just very expensive and time-consuming. It can be great fun though.

20. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Gamenut... Throne of Darkness is Diablo set in Japan... dont even bother playing... Fallout2 on the other hand is the best RPG... and I think it really qualifies as an RPG... a real RPG, more rpg than arcanum. :p and alot more fun for sure

Our Host!