Which did you play, Turn-Based or Real-Time??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Feb 11, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, I'll make a point here - turn-based is not realistic. People don't stand still waiting for someone to come running up to them, take a couple of swings of the sword and then let others have a go as well. Just won't happen.

Conversely, real-time is more realistic, because everyone moves simultaneously, attacks simultaneously and can die simultaneously. In turn-based, two characters aren't going to be swinging swords at the same time at each other, but it will happen in real-time. It gives the game a little more excitement.

Therefore, in that sense, real-time is more realistic than turn-based.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

If you want to argue about realism.... If I pull out an old, rusty flintlock pistol and shoot you with it in the leg, it's gonna hurt, and you might even die from the bleeding. Likewise, if I use a Looking Glass Rifle, it would likely have the same effect. BUT... In Arcanum (and every other game under the sun), all that ever happens is:

"You cause 4 hit points of damage"

If you want realism.... Then EVERY gun and weapon would be just as lethal. A small 4 inch blade is just as deadly as a 12 inch blade if used in the correct manner. Likewise, a 10mm pistol can kill someone just as easily as a magnum can.

That said though, yes real-time is probably more realistic... But the point I'd like to make is: Who REALLY wants realism in a computer game?? If you want realism, why not buy a gun and go shoot people?

NOTE: DarkUnderlord does not advise people to go on shooting rampages. If used against him in a court of law, DarkUnderlord will claim insanity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkUnderlord on 2002-02-14 10:50 ]</font>

3. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I would but I don't have the power to edit others' posts.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Jar, goddamn. I'm sorry, but what you said....
    As far as realism goes IMO. I have created a PnP system, in which everyone has speed. It is determined by their weapon, dexterity, the weight they have on. (in a normal situation) Now, a whole round is divided into 10 segments. I as a human I attack every 8 segments. so, if I attack an elf, who has the speed of 5, he will get me first. he will attack in the 5th segment and I will attack in the 8th. If my opponent has the same speed as me, we will attack simultaniously. So this is mixed.

5. Zen

Zen New Member

A totally uncomentary comment follows:

LOL! Hilarious!!

- Zen

6. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Proverbius I don't like to flame.And as you see almost everyone agrees with me.

7. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

No, it's not. In realistic fights, people don't just stand around out in the open and exchange shots until one dies. There is no element of seeking cover between volleys in real time, but this is represented in real time.

If you want to talk about sword-play, in real life, people aren't smacking each other with swords at the same time, like they are in real time combat. One person is swinging, and the other one will be dodging/parrying. Turn based reflects this, real time does not. Furthermore, in turn based, you can select what you're swinging at each swing, which you can do in real life, but you can't in real time.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Just asking Proverbius, have you ever fenced or practised swordplay or anything like that?

I haven't, so what I'm going to say here could be wildly wrong.

In a sword-fight, I doubt someone would just stand back and let the other person do all the swinging and attacking. No one wins through pure defense. At some point, they'd dodge a blow and counter-attack, and that would be sooner rather than later. In my experience, both fighters would be swinging at each other, but one would be swinging more defensively than the other, until they counter-attacked. However, the fact remains, that both people are swinging at the same and not standing there doing nothing.

9. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Almost everyone who? I'm behind SP! He is my hero! :smile:

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

For realistic realtime, play commandos. That's about as realistic as realtime can get in games. My opinion on sword fighting: When 2 opponents fight, they don't attack each other senselessly, they attack when they see an opening. Depending on the skill of the opponent, he will either parry, or not make the mistake. In most cases, the person who makes the mistake, dies. Because he wasn't skilled enough to parry/dodge after his mistake. There are situations when 2 characters strike at each other at the same time, in this case, it would be either who had the bigger sword, or who was more luck.

11. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I *think* what Saint Proverbius meant was that turn-based REFLECTS this. Not so much that it is a genuine, hat really happens, bonafide account. But rather that turn-based reflects the sort of dodging and ducking that goes on.

In Fallout, as turn-based, you could take a step out from behind a tent, fire a shot, then walk back inside for protection. Your opponents then had to run up to the tent. Next turn, you duck out again, critically hit one in the head and blow his arm off (yes, you read that right) and then go back under cover.

In real-time games, you can't do that. You walk out of the tent and you go down in a hail of bullets (well, you should anyway). At least though, everyone runs up to you at once and you can't get a shot off. Thus you die if not skilled enough. Turn-based is more a reflection of the ducking out, taking an aimed shot and ducking back. Duck and Cover, I LIKE IT!!

12. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

"Proverbius I don't like to flame.And as you see almost everyone agrees with me."

I dont agree with you. I also don't see you defending your opinion. Looks like your letting Jarinor do all the work.

Actually after looking back over this thread it looks your "everyone" is pretty much Jarinor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otto Krupp on 2002-02-15 12:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otto Krupp on 2002-02-15 12:44 ]</font>

13. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

DarkUnderlord is correct. Just because it's not their turn doesn't mean the combat model doesn't reflect their defensive actions. In real time, be it sword fights or gun fights, you don't have two people hurling attacks at each other in real time.

Jarinor, you're not thinking. If you knew anything about fencing, you'd know what both participants aren't striking at the same time, which is how RT combat works in all games. Both are swinging offensively at each other, so they're not dodging/parrying. If fencing worked like RT combat in all RPGs, the matches would always end in draws.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I know my opinion has no real base in fact and is totally based on speculation and wild theories. I've already stated that. That's what seemed most likely to me, but then again, I have no experience. Who knows who is right and who is wrong? Everyone thinks differently, and everyone would most likely engage in sword-fights differently.

15. Raist III

Raist III New Member

Well it just depended on what my character was. I have used both. Switching back and forth depending on what I am fighting and how many.

Our Host!