Thief????

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Arokh, Jan 2, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Arokh

Arokh New Member

How in heavens name are you supposed to play this game as a thief? I am a non-magical, non-technological thief (level 6), and I am getting my ass kicked everytime I get into a fight

If I want to travel, I have to safe and try numerous times before I don't get intercepted by wolves or other stronger animals.

I am probably doing something wrong, can anyone tell me what it is? Email me at dhg@bouma4.myweb.nl

In the meanwhile, I am going to build myself a fine good mage, to see if that works.....

2. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Your not gonna survive in Arcanum if you only have pickpocket or lockpicks skill. As mentioned in the manual, you need to have a balanced sets of skills. When ur facing a butch of hungry wolves, pickpocket wont help you. What are you going to do, steal their paws or teeth off or perhaps their fur? No right? You gotta have fighting skills.

3. Wangus

Wangus New Member

I've played the game with 3 different thieves. The first one I had a really nice bow and so I shot them up whereever I went. Unfortunately, I couldn't handle some of the later baddies so I kinda gave up on him. The second one was a very charismatic theif so I had followers to beat up baddies. The last one that I'm trying right now is a mage theif, though I really don't know what branch I should follow.

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

easy fixed, force and temporal are your best bets imho.

5. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I've found that, with thief characters, it's always best to go for melee early in the game and develop the thief skills later on (ie, between 5th and 10th level is the best time to start). Just make sure your melee skill is halfway through the bar or higher, and you should do fine.
    Starting out with all of your points in thief skills is NOT a good idea.

6. Lethran

Lethran New Member

Experimentation suggests you should pick dodge and an offensive combat skill and develop them to at least mid bar. Which combat skill depends on how you plan to develop your character later. (Do you want distance or a heavy damage close in weapon? Are you planning on going tech later? If so throwing doubles for explosives, gunsmithy if you are planning that route.

7. nicebrain

nicebrain New Member

Should not a pure magical thief make troble lockpickning because it is tecnological.

8. Odi

Odi New Member

Yes; but it does not appear to work that way in this instance. I have had pure mages who encountered no such difficulties with lock picking.

9. FishStyx

FishStyx New Member

How come no one mentions backstab as a thiefs main offensive skill? My thief kicks major butt with backstab. On turn base mode so you can get into position, while in stealth... Cant beat it.

Our Host!