Needs CD to MP3 Converter/Ripper Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Squish, Dec 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Squish

Squish New Member

It's been a while since I've bothered doing much on my computer at home as I've become somewhat sick of them over the years. In the past I used Linux to create most MP3s, but I donated that machine to my parents. What are you all using to convert/rip (whatever the current term is) CDs to MP3 format these days?

My reasons are that my work purchased a Sony CLIé PEG-N760C for me as a gift for doing a good job. I bought a 128MB memory card and have some MP3s left, but I pruned about 25Gigs of them (including a folder I didn't mean to...OOPS!) and need to create more from scratch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :smile:

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Well, I use Real Jukebox. To get a decent bitrate, you have to buy it ($40 I think) )or, of course, get a crack.

It's got a neat Variable Bit Rate that has been saving me on average over 1MB on an average track at 192 Kbps. That could make quite difference on a portable player, even though yours has decent space.

Also, the error supression seems to work well. It takes a little longer to rip tracks, but they pretty much error free.

The one fault I've experience with it is on long tracks whose bitrate drops very low at points. Jukebox has actually failed to rip a couple (just a couple) of those. If you're a fan of such music (trance/electronica would be most at risk) I'd avoid using Jukebox.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

AudioCatalyst is good, but you need to pay for the full version, or again, find a hack which is pretty hard to find.

I've never had any problems with it, and the free version encodes at 128-bit, so it gives decent sound quality.

4. Squish

Squish New Member

Thanks for the responses, I'll take a look around also. The unfortunate part is that I believe the unit I have will only play up to 128bit anyway, however I didn't want it for it's MP3 playing capability, that was just a bonus...I needed a new PDA :smile:

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

You guys! :ponder: Use audioGrabber. Fraunhoffer Rules!

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

AudioCatalyst is so much better than AudioGrabber. It's just easier to find a hack for AG than it is for AC.

Our Host!