Let's expand our musical horizons.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Dec 7, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Milo

Milo New Member

Fire up those file-sharing proggies!

Or rather don't. House of Lords does not condone illegal trading of mp3s.

Here's the idea. Suggest some music for other members to check out. Don't just copy & paste your 5000 song playlists, please. Post up a couple of songs, give some insight into why you like them, and then other members legally obtain those songs*, and come back and post their thoughts. Or just comment on others suggestions if you're already familiar with the tune.

I'll start off with a couple that should be easy to find:

• "Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix.
      • Hendrix fans will most likely know this song already, but people who are just so-so on him owe it to themselves to hear this. It's recorded live and is a song about war. His guitar work in this song is amazing. He really strangles the hell out of his guitar, even managing to simulate bombs dropping and children screaming during the solo.
    • "Summertime" by Janis Joplin.
      • One of my favorite tunes by her. It (like the above song) is from the 60s. The song is a bluesy, jazzy take on the Gershwin classic from Porgy and Bess. Her voice in this song sends tingles up my spine. Plus it has one of my all-time favorite guitar riffs/harmonies. Very simple, but so melodic.

*wink wink nudge nudge

*Voted "World's Scariest Pervert, 2001" by Sheriff Fatman

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milo on 2001-12-07 15:02 ]</font>

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay then, a good modern Aussie band to check out is Midnight Oil. They are currently touring in the USA and Canada - if you get the chance, go along to one of their shows. They are legendary over here (maybe a little expansion on the truth, but still, they are brilliant). They've been together some 25 years, sold a goodly number of albums and some bands recently did a tribute album for them.

Another good band is Powderfinger. For the past couple of years they've cleaned up the Australian music awards. Everybody I know likes Powderfinger. Just find a couple of songs or something by them and have a listen.

I can promote heaps more aussie bands here but...

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. All-time classic. What more can be said?

The Wall by Pink Floyd. It's not a song, it's an entire album. Another all-time classic. I've actually ripped the entire album to my hard drive (borrowed the CD's off my dad) :smile:.

Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf. German band I think, but the song is a classic. Everyone knows it, so why I'm telling you about it is a mystery to me.

Money for Nothing by Dire Straits. Get the extended version, get the cut-down version it doesn't matter! Brilliant song!

3. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I know that most of the members of the forum are younger than I am, so I feel as though I can mention a few oldies, and they'll be new to some of the group.

Public Image LTD. -- "Album"
    Johnny Rotten started this group. On "Album, he teams up with guitarist Steve Vai for songs like "Black Rubber Bag", in which Rotten's only lyrics are the title words. Meanwhile, Vai is f***ing amazing, technically and melodically.

Almost any Zappa
    Frank Zappa was a very under-rated musician, because his lyrics and personality often overshadowed everything else. For a heavy dose of Zappa guitar, check out "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar". For a good laugh, check out any other Zappa albums.

Marshall Crenshaw
    Another under-rated musician, but a helluva lot more subtle than Zappa! He's best known for the '80's hit "Someday, Someway". He's a great songwriter, in the style of Buddy Holly (who's musicianship was also overshadowed by his songs).

"Stairway to Heaven" makes me ill because I've heard it so many times, and played it as many. It was the spotlight song at my junior prom. It was funny, because the song is so slow, and people were dancing cheek-to-cheek. When the song switched tempo, no one knew how to deal with it, including me.

Long enough post?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feldon Kane on 2001-12-07 18:04 ]</font>

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Of course! Frank Zappa! My dad loves him, I must say that the song "Valley Girl" is hilarious...Although, if you want comedy, have a listen of none other than....Weird Al Yankovich!

It must take many listenings and renditions of Stairway to Heaven to make you sick of it...Who's stupid idea was it to play it at a 'junior prom' as you put it? That's just abuse!

5. Chryssalis

Chryssalis New Member

Dont let me get started on music.

First of all i am a music major. BAsically anything by stravinsky will rock your world.

Now for the bands:

Radiohead, Yes, Emmerson LAke and PAlmer, Pink Floyds, Sneaker pinmps, TOOL, Bjork, Steely Dan, Doors, Beatles, Blur, Stone temple Pilots, MEtallica (hell yea babay), King Crimson, Ak1200, Diesel Boy (techno not puk artist), Portise head, Genisis (seventies), JEfferson Starship, NINE INCH NAILS,.... the list goes on

From a music majors standpoint..all of the bands have musical merit. Especially YEs (seventies) check out "close to the edge' ..anyone else hear like any of these bands?

6. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

• Old:
      • Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine: Punk and political, but sadly disbanded. Sheriff Fatman was the name of one of their more successful songs. Check them out at the official site (made by Fruitbat, the lead singer)
      • Lush: key band in the early 90's shoegaze (dreampop) scene, and indirectly responsible for my meeting Lysa. My favourite band of all time, beyond doubt.
      • Sleeper: brit-pop, a bit like Elastica. Dropped by their label just after producing their best stuff ever.
    • Alive but unwell
      • Sneaker Pimps: only 'Becoming X' was any good. Artistic differences caused a split and turned them shit. I also like most of the other non D&B influenced trip hop bands.
      • Jewel: flame me for this one, if no other, but she's got the voice of an angel and a huge heart. Shame that she couldn't reproduce the quality of her first album.
    • Current
      • Ivy: I haven't been able to get them out of my head since Lysa first played them for me.
      • Cibo Matto: Only heard 'Stereotype A' (at Lysa's recommendation AGAIN) and only like half of it, but that half ROCKS.
      • Feeder: been waiting for them to hit the big time ever since they appeared on the soundtrack of the first Gran Tourismo game. A coupld of albums later, it looks like they might finally do it.

7. Reg Pither

Reg Pither New Member

Jarinor - surely you've left out our country's greatest export - the mighty AC/DC!
    I'd recommend anything pre-1982 (my God! has it really been that long?!?), but especially the albums Back in Black and Highway to Hell.

While there are some unbelievers who hate Stairway to Heaven with a passion, I'd have to agree that you'd have to hear it an incredible number of times to become sick of it. Possibly THE greatest piece of popular music of the last 40 years...?

And one of my personal favourites - Jellyfish. Their album 'Bellybutton' always makes me think of what a band would have sounded like if The Beatles and Queen had joined forces in the 70's... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reg Pither on 2001-12-08 02:56 ]</font>

8. Hiipu

Hiipu New Member

Any song from the best rockband in the whole universe: AC/DC
    I recommend Thunderstruck, Whole Lotta Rosie, You Shook Me All Night Long, Highway to Hell...ok ok...any song :grin:

Then a band you really should hear

Hanoi Rocks
    I recommend Until I Get You, Million Miles Away, Tragedy, Cheyenne, Don't You Ever Leave Me, Café Avenue.

oh, and for more information about the band go to http://www.geocities.com/hanoirox/

9. Zen

Zen New Member

muzak

Tom Waits
    Frank Black
    Pixies
    Kaizers Orchestra (Norwegian lyrics)

Any "tin-can/cockroach" music!

- Zen

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Noooooooooo!!! How could I forget AC/DC? It's the band who's name is used most in multiple choice tests in Australia!

Jellyfish is a cross between Queen and the Beatles? That sounds pretty cool...Queen had some awesome guitar work at times...

11. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Dont be surprised...
    I love CHARLIE'S ANGELS by DESTINY'S CHILD.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

*Wishes there was a jaw-dropping smiley...*

DESTINY'S CHILD??? The...well, I can't really describe it...wait, something is coming through...that's right, they should be shot. Their very existence and success as an R&B group insults me.

13. Reg Pither

Reg Pither New Member

What I want to know is...when did the term 'R&B' change from being people like Wilson Pickett, Steve Winwood(60's era) and Dr. Feelgood to meaning 'a few pretty black girls/boys who dance and perform an endless stream of extremely forgettable slushy ballads' ??!??

Surely very little Rhythm and definitely no Blues...

14. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

If you listen very carefully, you'll occassionally here the more honest ones whisper the word 'modern' before the R&B.

So far, I have worked with 3 music companies for web systems and they all agree that genre labelling depends on which way the wind is blowing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-12-08 05:06 ]</font>

15. Squish

Squish New Member

Right now my favorite song is the first one on the new Garbage CD (Beautiful Garbage): Shut Your Mouth

This directly relates to a certain sales rep. at my work

16. Calis

Calis Member

I'm bound to forget some stuff, but here goes:

AC/DC - Thunderstruck - The single best song for when you have a hangover. Seriously. I need two or three cups of coffee, a good breakfast and this song to get over a night of serious drinking.
    Radiohead - The Bends (the entire album). It's just amazing. OK Computer is great as well.
    Dream Theater - Home
    Pink Floyd - Most of their stuff, but Dark Side of the Moon is still my favorite album (even more than The Wall)
    Garbage - Push It
    Metallica - Most of the older instrumental stuff (Orion, Ktuhlu, Pulling Teeth)
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Deep Purple - They have a fair amount of great songs, and I'm not going to bother listing 'em all
    Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg - Optimal music for playing poker while smoking a big fat joint.

17. Nugget of Joy

Nugget of Joy New Member

Re: Let's expand our musical horizons

Here's some of my personal favorites.

Radiohead: Kid A -- strange and different, I can't stop listening to it.

Rage Against the Machine -- I'm sort of an RATM newbie, but I liked The Battle of Los Angeles a lot. I love Tom Morrelo's guitar.

Tenacious D -- Woohoo! Great guitarists and f'in hilarious to boot. If you don't like these guys, you're taking yourself way too seriously. :smile: (Their album is self-titled.)

Dave Matthews Band -- Pretty much everything, with Everyday slightly lower on the list. I wish that it wasn't such a popular thing to like them, though; so many people at school like them because of the "Dude, Dave gets high," thing, versus actual musical appreciation.

And, for a little classical sauce...

Brahms -- I like dark, dramatic classical music (well, some.) I love his concerto for violin and cello; Number 2 is the one I'm thinking of, I think.

Vivaldi -- I'm playing his Christmas Concertos right now for my school orchestra, and I've heard some other stuff. The Christmas concertos are really complex, which is nice.

In case you can't tell, I'm sort of inexperienced with classical, although I have played a lot. So there you have it. :smile:

18. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Yeah, I like Vivaldi, and Pachelbel. Most Baroque Classical, really, although it can get a little frilly at times.
    It's hard to beat Mozart, IMHO.

19. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Dan Tyminski (I'm a Man of Constant Sorrow)
    Ralph Stanley
    Ricky Scaggs
    Blue Highway
    Lonesome River

(All these, for those who don't know, are bluegrass bands/singers.)

Nickel Creek are also awesome, though not traditional bluegrass, their new genre "new"grass is amazing.

(Oh, and I know all of you know every one of these names and know their tunes by heart. :smile: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retard on 2001-12-08 10:04 ]</font>

20. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

AC-DC - Big Balls. It is about ball room dancing. Really. Quote:"My balls are always bouncing, to the left and to the right. I wish that my big balls, could be held every night."

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta' Early 90's song, one-hit wonder. "I'm not sick, but i'm not well. And its so hot, cuz i'm in hell."

Any Greenday or Offspring.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Clothos_Vermillion on 2001-12-08 10:19 ]</font>

Our Host!