Can scars be healed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wacky_Elf, May 15, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

We'll see! I'm hoping it won't be required at all.

How long was the scar from your gall bladder operation, anyway?

2. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

............ do we really want to read this.... and the answer is... dunno

*this useless post to Saint Proverbius was brought to you by the little people behind the big guns*

3. Milady

Milady New Member

the one over the gallbladder is about an inch long, then I have 2 others down on my right side, and the "other" scar was added to.

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub New Member

I just pee'd out the stones. I nearly died from pain, but I'll be damned if Im going to be cut open and scard for life.

I have the stones in a little jar. I keep on my desk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beelzebub on 2001-05-24 20:18 ]</font>

5. Milady

Milady New Member

Those are kidney stones... gallstones are different. If they are present in an ultrasound, they remove the gallbladder. The pain from a gallbladder attack makes you wish that you were unconscious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milady on 2001-05-24 20:24 ]</font>

6. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Worst thing I've had is when i had coughing fits that would drop me..... And if you've ever played football with me that takes ALOT

7. Zen

Zen New Member

Back to the scar healing topic: I thought you could get healed for scars at a healer. Like that guy who gives you the "thwart-robbery" quest. Am I just plain wrong?

- Zen

8. Blunder

Blunder New Member

If you bump up your healing skill with a CP point or two, can you heal your own scars? Or would you still need to be healed by a healer or the Doc?

9. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

I believe you would be able to heal scars an your own

10. stravaig

stravaig New Member

Even with a single point in Healing you will theoretically eventually get a critical success and heal your scar.

I was never able to get Doc to heal me, even when wounded.
    I tried to plant some bandages on him, but he attacked me.

- Stravaig

11. Blunder

Blunder New Member

Along with putting a CP into healing, one would also have to apprentice with a healer to be able to use that skill if I understand that part correctly, right?

12. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

No you do not /have/ to apprentice but if you did you would have a 50% bonus to the ammount healed.

13. Zen

Zen New Member

Back to the pointless scarcompetition; I have a 5cm long scar going square across my forhead. I tripped and banged my skull against a stone wall, it resulted in seven stitches sown by a dentist...
    I also have a syringe vaccine dent in my right buttcheek. Don`t know if it qualifies as a scar but it`s mighty cool anyway. :razz:

-"uhmm,Zen what`s this dent?Hmm?"
    -"Oh well, it`s just an old bullet wound.."
    :grin:

- Zen

14. Azira

Azira New Member

Wheeee!!!! Scars!!!
    I've got a nice long one on my left arm, from when the doctors had to cut it open, so that they could fix my elbow. It had completely fractured from a fall I took when I was 4 years old. Fell roughly 1 meter (3 feet) and shattered the elbow. Nasty. They made it work again though, talented doctors. The scar's about 15 cm (6 inches?). It extended from shoulder to wrist when I was 4, but it hasn't grown like the rest of my skin.

Then I had an accident involving a parked car, my bike and myself. Multiple lacerations on my arms, and on my forehead. One of the cuts on my arm had to be sewn. No anesthetics. T'was only two stitches though.

But I haven't really got any interesting scars from big operations or anything, besides the one on my arm. No gall-bladders or appendices or anything. Boring, really.

There I go, rambling again. I think I'll stop now.. :smile:

15. Blunder

Blunder New Member

I had a few too many wobbly-pops at a baseball tournament about 7 yrs ago and walked into a barbed-wire fence that I could have sworn wasn't there just a couple of seconds prior. I've got about a 5" (12.5cm) long scar running down my right shin that is surgically straight. I didn't notice the injury until about an hour later. The next two days playing ball weren't most comfortable.

16. Sawtooth

Sawtooth New Member

Well, I don't have any large scars, but I do have a pretty neat one on my left index finger. It's a combination scar/indent from a scissors incident from when I was doing a school project at home in third grade. I remember it dripping quite a bit after I had removed the blade and ran out to mom.

I suppose those details may not have been needed, but it makes it sound much cooler :smile:

17. Wojit

Wojit New Member

I have a scarish thing on my foot where my foot when in a hole in a spinning-around piece of playground equipment when I was around 5 years old...
    (It hurt)

18. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Bad_Buck: Would you explain how the apprenticeship stuffw orks i still don't quite get it.

19. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

I havn't got a major scar but in year5 some one tried to cut my thumb off with a dull rusty butcher knife when I wasn't looking so I have a white scar on my left hand.

It hurt a lot.

I'm also butt-ugly.(the good butt-ugly not the bad)

20. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

Jureel Krix (and any others wondering)

Apprentice and the other training levels (Expert and Master) apply to all skills, from Dodge to Heal.

Each skill has a rank ranging from 1 to 5 that reflects how much you have learnt in that skill. That rank pretty much controls your chances of success at using that skill. You increase this rank by spending CPs, just like you can boost a stat or buy a spell.

The training you can receive from NPCs is separate to these ranks although your rank does limit which training you can apply for. A rank of 1 in a skill lets you train as an apprentice - I'm a bit shaky on the other levels - it is something like 3 for Expert and 5 for Master but don't quote me on that!

It is quite possible to ignore the training completely (especially if money is tight as most trainers charge for their services!) and just advance your skills as you level up with CPs. You can gain a rank of 5 in Melee say and still be completely untrained. You will still be a very good swordsman though - with a very accurate strike - what training offers are BONUS abilities that can make each skill much more effective. Please note that this training is sequential - you can't skip Apprenticeship and go for Expert training - even if your skill rank is 3 or more.

Here are the Melee training levels for example:

Melee Apprentice – the Speed of the Character with a melee weapon is increased by 5

Melee Expert – the Character is unaffected by lighting penalties

Melee Master – the Character cannot critically fail with a melee weapon

As you can see all these bonuses are unique and powerful ways to make your character a better fighter and are well worth the cost of gaining them. These bonuses are permanent - you keep the Apprenticeship speed bonus when you move up to Expert, and a Melee Master will benefit from ALL three bonuses - a formidable combatant indeed!

The cost of training can be quite high - as Troika have built Arcanum's trademark immersive gameplay into the training system. Apprentice and Expert training is relatively simple to gain - find a qualified trainer (Expert teachers are rarer than Apprentice ones though) and hand over some cash.

Masters are a different kettle of fish though! Each skill has a unique Master, usually hidden away somewhere, who doesn't train just any dusty adventurer wandering up to their front door. No, you will have to prove your worth by completing a unique quest for the Master. I have to say I'm NOT looking forward to the Mastery Quest for the Disarm Traps skill!

If you have been exploring the demo you will have noticed that MANY NPCs offer training in skills that are appropriate to their careers and interests (especially at Apprentice level). So you can train in combat skills with guards, haggling with shopkeepers, healing with healers, etc. For me this adds to the immersiveness of the game. NPCs seem more 'real' as they have more to offer the player than just the next quest hook, or random conversation - they can actively aid in the development of your character.

I hope this rather longwinded post has helped to clarify things. More examples of training bonuses can be found right here at Terra Arcanum and many other fine sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!