Fate points

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Fred, Nov 25, 2019.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Fred

Fred New Member

I want to remive the full heal option that you get from fate points.

Ive undatted the files but no luck.

I have also hex edited alot of stuff but cant find anything to limit fate points.

And i see nothing that i can use in effect rules (fate max 0 doesnt work like resist damage max 80).

Much obliged for aby help!

2. FilthyJack

FilthyJack Member Supporter

A little dirty but you could open dialogue scripts and remove any reference to "grant player 1 fate point", even easier if you know exactly when they are given in the game or by whom.

3. Tennisgolfboll

Tennisgolfboll New Member

@FilthyJack thanks for the idea.

If found the fate point in 01041Lukan.dlg (there is no "grant player 1 fate point" anywhere but it was called "fp" and just deleted that and it worked). But the fate point for killing him is still awarded.

What I want to do is remove the full heal option from fate points. Or remove all fate points.

Is there a way?

Edit: Searched through all the dialogues and delete fp in 20 different files. The killing fate points remain in the game however.

Thank you for helping find these 20, now for the last ones...or a solution for removing the full heal option from fate ponts?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  4. FilthyJack

A little late sorry, but the fate points awarded on death are triggered by the creature's on_death script, they are usually called XXXVirgil_death.scr.
    I could tell you how to attach a debugger to the game and locate the line that opens the fate point menu and nop/jmp it to remove fate points entirely but this would really be dirty.

5. Fred

Fred New Member

Thanks!

Yeah I am interested in both solutions. I do not know how to edit scr files. I do not know how to open them. Could you give me some tips?

By running a debugger would the fate point menu be removed or how would that look like?

6. Fred

Fred New Member

I have opened tve scrmaker and opened a script. There are not main scripts in the undat files and very few that has something with death in them. Cant find the bridge guards at shrouded hills for example.

Tried clicking around but I dont see where I can change anything.

7. FilthyJack

I would suggest using ScriptEd (available from the forum or download page) it has a nice script loading menu (load official script). I'm sorry I don't remember exactly where the majority of the script are stored. (edit: Arcanum2.dat)

Using a debugger like x32dbg you could attach to arcanum.exe and use breakpoints/steps to locate the part of the code which is responsible for opening the menu or even better the actual (give_fate_point call). But it requires a decent knowledge of debugging and programming, not necessarily assembly, all you'd need is to nop a call or jmp or even change the amount to a fixed 0 value. After success all you need is a quick patch to modify the offset in the exe.

Patching the menu opening part would make the menu still visible but nothing would happen when you click it (no dropdown menu). Patching the give_fate_point call would cause no fate points awarded whatsoever. The whole debugging/patching thing is only relevant if your goal is to make it a mod and share it, otherwise is not worth the hassle imho.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  8. Fred

Fred New Member

Thank you for your time. Ive searched for the files that contain fate points for combat but i cannot find them like i did for dialogues

9. Fred

Fred New Member

Thanks to your replies here and in another thread I found the scripts (hadnt looked in dat2).

Now I have found and edited out all death fate points. Think i have gotten them all!

Thanks a million for all your help mate!

(I may still be missing the one for journal at half ogre island. Cant seem to find it. You dont know if it is a dialogue or script?)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  10. FilthyJack

After opening arcanum map and checking the actual journal item (oninsert) script, it points to : 02084OgreLabJournalPickup.scr and you're right there is a grant player one fate point line in it.
    You've worked hard to actually locate and edit all these, very nice. It is sad though that it has to be English only because the dialogues are edited.

11. Fred

Fred New Member

Again thanks for all your help! Forgot to add that i found it myself yesterday evening.

Our Host!