Seem to be stuck in Vooriden.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by BennyBuddz, Aug 11, 2017.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

Hi, since most of the stuff i find here is dated from 2001 - I hope there's still somebody here who can help.
    I'm trying to get to Thanatos, I've chosen to talk to Stingy Pete since I don't have the money for the boat nor the luck for the dice game with that other captain.

Anyway, I'm on my second task with Stingy Pete, at Vooriden.
    I've already been to Vooriden in the past (by mistake, found when exploring) so when i try to activate the quest for the stone from the dwarf in the temple, nothing happens! I don't activate the quest in the journal.
    No speech options with the half ogre either. btw, he has a 15 (dislike) attraction to me. Does that matter?

I've been to the Torin Quarry by myself, found it exploring and brought the stone to Vooriden.
    But besides tossing it around like an idiot there's nothing I can do. This is very bad since I can't kill Stingy Pete, can't win a dice game and getting 45000 gold will take 2 months.

Can anyone help? This is a game breaking bug for me.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I not entirely sure what to suggest, I've never heard of this before.

Are you sure you're talking to the right person, you mention he's a dwarf (and I think there is a cloaked dwarf wandering around Vooriden) but I think the guy in the temple is a gnome and he's the quest giver? Have you exhausted all his dialogue options? Having visited Vooriden in the past shouldn't really make any difference, you can do the quest without it even being given by String Pete so there should be an option to complete it.

If you have access to Virgil still (he hasn't died/you didn't kill him), downloading his Debug menu that Drog posted up somewhere on the site has the option "turn on PC boats" so that should allow you to use the boat and ignore Pete's quest.

Other than that, shopkeepers can sometimes accumulate inordinate amounts of gold (100k) if you've waited whole days in a city before. Killing an inconsequential one (e.g. the gypsy outside of Tarant) might give you quick means to buy the boat so long as it doesn't really violate the role-play you were going for.

I guess if you have any older saves you can use, maybe try one of them and see if the bug rights itself? Short of killing Pete for his boat, that's about all I can think of.

3. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

You're right, I was talking about the gnome in the temple. I have exhausted all his speech options and having watched a video (although in spanish), I saw that he had an additional option with him +
    he immediately received a new quest in his log book after talking to him, which I did not.
    I'm gonna go with the debug menu for now, try it out. Because Pete is level 50 and he has a couple of friends that just fuck me up within 1 round.

Another thing, I don't have Virgil with me, nor did I since the P. Schuyler store where I picked up Magnus, being a tech dwarf myself. Right now I'm with Raven at Vooriden.
    Does it make a difference?

4. Jojobobo

I think Virgil defaults back to the Crash Site, either that or he'll be where you left him. Try him there and see what happens, so long as you've installed the Debug menu. I think the latest version also requires you to equip Gilbert Bates' ring to activate the debug menu.

The bug is weird though, from what I remember you just ask if you can make an offering at the temple and he'll explain that it was desecrated, and then I think with or without doing the quest for Pete first you should be able to offer your services. As I've said, I've really never heard of this before.

5. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

So I uploaded a couple of screenshots to illustrate the problem.

1. This is my inventory in Vooriden, shows the stone you need to get from the Torin Quarry.

[​IMG]

2. This is me engaging the quest giving gnome and talking about his religion.

[​IMG]

3. Through talking about religion and Halcyon, you get here where you actually offer to help with the altar.

[​IMG]

4. After I agree to help with the altar this is my dialog with him, note there is no red glowing log book, and no new quests.

[​IMG]

I'm running a GOG version with the unofficial patch, HiRes patch, HiRes cities and soundtrack.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  6. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

So could you link me to the Debug thingie? I can't seem to find it in the downloads section. And what does it do?

In the meantime I started a new gameplay with an evil elf sorceress.

7. Jojobobo

Here's the link to it on RPG Codex. As mentioned you just copy it into your Arcanum folder where Arcanum.exe if located, and if you're wearing Gilbert Bates' ring and talk to option it'll give you a bunch of cheat options (a few of which are good for circumventing bugs like you have). If you want to get rid of it at any point from the game, just delete the file. Hope it works out for you, sorry I couldn't give a direct solution to the bug itself.

8. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

Thanks anyway, it's nice to see people still admiring this gem of a game. I wish someone would buy the rights to this game... *ahem* Obsidian *ahem*. RPG fans deserve this.

Jojobobo likes this.
  9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If Wonder Boy III could get a remake, why not Arcanum?

10. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

I once wrote to Leonard Boyarsky that if Dishonored was such a success, then an open world 3D open choice RPG that is based on the Arcanum steampunk world would blow everything outta the market.

But, since ALL the companies are profit driven and without appealing to console gamers and a younger crowd, no such game will be made.

Plus I want to add that Arcanum and Skyrim for example can coexist in the same world, with at least a millennia seperating the two.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Uhm, I don't think Arcanum and Skyrim can coexist at all. The Elder Scrolls has ridiculous amounts of lore that would contradict this totally, plus it lacks the magick/tech dichotomy. Better they remain separate settings.

This could have happened though: http://arcanum.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_to_the_Centre_of_Arcanum

12. BennyBuddz

BennyBuddz New Member

If my wisdom scale is at 2 then you're using Debug thingies :D

Let me ask you this kind sir, did you read anything regarding Arcanum or this sequel in the past 5 years? Can it happen in our lifetime?
    Plus, how much do rights to a title cost? I'll fundraise the rights myself.
    I've seen people raise money to make a potato salad. I'm sure there are a lot of dorks out there who would love to see Arcanum again.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Ask Activision how much they want for it.

Our Host!