Permanent Petrification

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by ytzk, Dec 27, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

1) Cast Flesh to Stone at your foe, or friend (by holding Alt).

2) Cast Reflection Shield while the target is still petrified.

3) Either wait one combat turn, or end combat.

4) Cast Dweomer Shield on the target. This reflects onto you, ending the Reflection Shield. spell. [EDIT: or you can just wait 1+ minute gametime before cancelling the reflection shield, ie, until after the Stone spell would have run out.]

5) Your enemy is now a statue, forever. Cancel the Dweomer Shield on yourself.

6) Cast Disperse Magic or Dweomer Shield to reanimate the statue, or arrange them using Call Winds and Unseen Force.

7) To place characters in a rogues gallery rather than leave them where they spawned, first permanently hypnotise them (Dominate Will + Reflection Shield - Dominate Will - Reflection Shield) then tell them to wait where you wish to place them, then do steps 1-5 above.

Self Petrification

This allows you to be immune to damage and ignored by foes. Your spell casting is limited but you can, at least, Disperse Magic yourself to end the hibernation.

Summon anything (eg, Orc)
    Cast Reflection Shield on Orc
    Cast Flesh to Stone at Orc
    Cancel Reflection Shield, then cancel summoning spell
    You are a statue forever.

Apart from the basilisk trick of turning everyone to stone wherever you go, you can do the weeping angel trick of being a background statue which instantly flicks from place to place using Spatial Distortion.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Didn't Drog patch out all the Meta weirdness?

4. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

On the UAP page's changelog, one of the entries says [F] Fixed issues with Dweomer Shield and Reflection Shield spells. They no longer work on mind controlled creatures (this includes summoned ones), thus the permanent follower glitch is no longer possible.
    While that is not neccessarily a direct fix to these particular glitches mentioned in this thread, I'm assuming that there could be more to it. Might want to scan through the entire list? http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/dest/uap.html

5. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril Member

I thought the UAP fixed that too. I never played with that insanity because of that assumption. Can we get a confirmation ether way?

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Drog didn't patch out all the meta weirdness - I found ways - but, obviously, if you are trying meta abuse, the UAP is not your friend. I recommend WIP or vanilla.

PS - it is much easier to use Disperse Magic instead of Dweomer Shield in step 4 above.

PPS - the trick for making zombieland in WIP is to put the difficulty on Hard, then when you cancel the reanimate corpse spell, they remain 'alive'. If you can't be bothered dodging the plague, tell them to back off before cancelling the spell, and they will ignore you. It's more fun when they're hostile, though.

PPPS - Disintegrating a petrified enemy is the only way to kill them BUT the kill doesn't count as a kill for the logbook OR quests OR for the endgame slides EXCEPT when disintegrating petrified undead which still counts as a normal kill. Also, you still get cursed if you try it at Falcon's Ache.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

oh. so it is only patched in the newest versions of the UAP? (WIP is incompatible with the latest UAP)

8. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I think so. Personally, I prefer not fiddling around with glitches and exploits and would rather have a bug-free game, so I always play Arcanum with UAP these days.

9. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

I more or less agree but using the Meta school to meta abuse is just so funny. I use WIP witch is bug free in my experience...except for the IP parts of the WIP, and they aren't buggy so much as incomplete.

on1ondevelopment likes this.
  10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Brings a new meaning to garden gnomes.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I got the baleful hound from Blackroot and a couple of Guardians from Tulla to decorate the front yard.

The trick with getting them to stay and not respawn is, I think, as follows...

- petrify (Tullan Guardians begin as petrified)
    - hypnotise
    - teleport
    - free/thaw
    - you may hypnotise again to pose them
    - free so hostile again
    - petrify again, they will stay

[​IMG]

P.s., these dogs attack anyone when released, including you, but also including innocent bystanders, so a cute way to slaughter towns without being charged is to thaw them out in the street while invisible. The streets of Tarant are full of rioting orcs, though, and all the cops are petrified, so the monsters are just decorative in this case. There are no innocent bystanders left.

P.p.s., this works also for barbarians of Kree, ie, they can be positioned without hypnotism or respawning if repetrified in new location while hostile, but not for the dread crystal spider nor, presumably, for other animals.

P.p.p.s., If you want to try super mega meta abuse in UAP, try using an arachnid or automaton to reflect spells onto yourself, then deactivate the mech without dropping the spells, and they should all be permanent.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

ytzk discovered the hidden ending of the game. Petrifying the world. There would be no more pain, only silence.

13. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

OMG haha, I love the screenshot. That's just devious.

Our Host!