I feel like sharing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xyle, May 12, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

2. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The theory that mass depends on distance? It doesn't fit with any observation ever made. So I feel safe in rejecting it out of hand.

3. Xyle

Xyle Member

Gravitational Potential Energy (U) = mass (m) times gravitational acceleration (g) times height (h) & E=mc^2

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    If you're serious about this endeavour, you should attempt to reconcile your theory with observations of the known behaviour of particles in the universe, instead of just chucking equations around and hoping that someone who is better at physics than you will see them and go "By Jove, I think he's got it!"

5. Xyle

Xyle Member

Hoping? I could send APS the link to this thread and see what they think of the ideas. So let's, shall we?

Dear APS,
    My three points of contention with regards to modern science are
    1) Standard Model Theory's refusal to admit to zero mass at the moment of interaction, my solution is "mass is a function of distance" and that distance is zero. Am I wrong? And more importantly, How am I wrong?
    2) According to classical physics, an accelerating frame of reference is invalid...as I understand it, otherwise I could use myself as a frame of reference; and yet according to General Relativity, standing on the planet's surface IS an accelerating frame of reference. Which presents an interesting question, has anyone ever determined the speed of light ... when falling? And the contention is: if an accelerating frame of reference is invalid, do scientists make adjustments to account for it?
    3) NEW! (At least for me.) My college physics textbook says that General Relativity declares that there is no experiment that can determine the difference between an accelerating elevator and an elevator in a gravity field. Sure there is! The curvature of the Earth's surface should give you a clue as to what it is. Specifically, it is too drop two weights in different places. In an accelerating elevator, the lines of accelerating are parallel. In a gravity field, as indicated by the simple fact that the attraction is to the center, the lines interest at the center of mass. I think that General Relativity's "curvature" bends space to make the non-parallel lines parallel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my mother says that my ability is actually clairvoyancy, which would explain why I was aware of certain events at APS, such as the fact they were conversing about either me or my submission days after I got the decline email. Of course, that doesn't explain how I know what people are thinking....

6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Dear Xyle, please don't bother the APS again until you've got something more scientific.

1. Every observation ever made shows that mass is constant, and not a function of distance. If your theory were true then it would become easier to manoeuver aircraft and spacecraft as they got further from the planet's surface, but this is not the case. Your theory is contradicted by the evidence, therefore it is wrong.

2. Accelerating frames of reference aren't "invalid". As you say we have to make adjustments to account for them, which we do.

3. A gravity field doesn't necessarily have to emanate from a single point. If you had a massive rectangular object in empty space, then the field you would experience when standing in the middle of one of the large faces would be perpendicular to the surface. There is no experiment you could do at that point that would be able distinguish it from a massless rectangular object accelerating upwards at a constant rate. This is what your textbook is referring to.

Seriously Xyle, these theories have been around for over a hundred years, with guys like Stephen Hawking working on them full time. There are no glaring holes that you are going to be able to spot after reading a college textbook on the subject, even with the amazing abilities your mother says you have.

ytzk and Jungle Japes like this.
  7. Xyle

Xyle Member

Bullshit!!! First, mass has been proven to change with respect to velocity. Second, that my declaration that mass is a function of distance was made principally with regards to the electromagnetic, weak and strong forces (especially when you consider that if gravity contributes, it is very small in most situations). You just have to read a periodic table of elements to know that the mass of the proton is dependent on what atom it is a part of. How the f--- did you get the idea that I was saying gravitational potential energy is 100% of mass?

I personally value skepticism of my ideas, but you've gone past skepticism to outright denial of any intellectual merits. Just because I have religious beliefs that you find offensive? Well, I find your inability to argue rationally about things that I come up with to be offensive. And appeal to authority is a logical fallacy.

I am, and have been for very long time, a problem solver. Science has a problem called the Grand Unified Theory and an inability to reconcile Standard Model with General Relativity. I want to solve it. Telling me lies in order to win an argument won't cut it with me. I require understanding, and I won't quit until I find it.

And I honestly do believe in the impossible. However, without cooperation from the witnesses of others, I can't prove it. Why should we allow fear to dictate our actions? ...if only those that could bear witness on my behalf had the courage to speak.

Smuel, I don't want to argue with you, I want to argue with someone who has genuine knowledge in this field. ... And if you tell me to post elsewhere, let me remind you that I have already asked for suggestions. Just like I asked for advice if I should let the scientific community know that I am telepathic. Neither were answered. So now, I wait and hope. And if ASP does nothing, I will take my thoughts elsewhere. ... Unless you genuinely want my answers to the other challenges?

[​IMG]

8. wayne-scales

You should definitely, definitely, definitely tell them you're telepathic. Lead with it

Also, I think it's unlikely they were conversing about you at APS. If you get a rejection letter from a journal within a couple of days, it means that it didn't make it past the screening process to reach any reviewers. Scientific journals get dozens and dozens of articles submitted by people with a tenuous grasp on the basics who think they've discovered or thought up something just like you, so that wouldn't have been anything special (I think I've even heard someone say the same shit before). I think your problem is that you've read too many sensationalist can-do anecdotes and motivational posters which, mixed with an overabundance of praise from your family etc., has inculcated an overconfident belief in yourself and your abilities, which has probably done you more harm than good

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Transparent Painting and ytzk like this.
  9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, this escalated quickly.

Okay Xyle, if you want me to consider the intellectual merits of your ideas then you have to present them in an intellectually rigorous way. So far all you've said is "Hey, what if mass depends on distance?" My initial response was that mass doesn't depend on distance because we don't observe that mass changes when it gets further away from other mass. Your appeal to different types of nuclear force doesn't really help here. What are you actually proposing? That when two sub atomic particles are right next to each other, the mass of both of them is zero? Okay, well we know that an atom's nucleus consists of protons and neutrons right next to each other, and yet atoms have mass. Where is that mass coming from? You haven't explained how to reconcile our observations of the world with your theory. Really you haven't explained anything about your theory at all, you've just said "Hey, what if mass depends on distance?" and then when I raised a single counter-example you cried that life isn't fair and threw all your toys out of the pram.

I expect God is very disappointed in you right now.

ytzk likes this.
  10. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

This is some high quality shit right here.

ytzk likes this.
  11. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Dammit Jim! I'm a soldier, not an astrophysicist!

I have only the most tenuous grasp on basic physics, but what Xyle is positing sounds like something a Patriots fan would come up with to explain Tom Brady's deflated balls.

That's an American Football joke, for all you unwashed savages.

Edit: I meant that to be small text, but fuck it. 'Merica

12. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Jungle Japes likes this.
  13. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Yes, well. I'm not in the Southeast at the moment, so, when in Rome, right?

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I guess he meant it.

15. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

"I have already asked for suggestions. Just like I asked for advice if I should let the scientific community know that I am telepathic. Neither were answered."

You shouldn't; you aren't.

ytzk likes this.
  16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I don't know how accepted the first part of your theory will be because; We have more than a few experimental confirmations of general relativity, because it's a theory of gravitation that seems to work really well. You should look up how light red-shifts through the force of gravity, or gravitational lensing - a few things we've talked about on this forum before, actually.* And with our current general relatiity confirmations, it's actually necessary that the universe has a mass energy greater than zero.

As for the second part - mass is independent of distance. Weight, however, is not. The further we get from a body, the less we weigh...but our mass remains more or less constant, unless we approach light speed. Even then, it's not the object's actual mass increasing - it's its relativistic mass as composed of the kinetic energy required to accelerate a massive body to light speed. To say it's actually become more massive is the same as saying you make baseballs heavier when you throw them. Sure, they hit harder at higher speeds, but they don't weigh any more than when they started.

*EDIT: I don't remember the exact context, but it was a few pages of talking about exactly those two things.

Events occurring in an apparent different order, you say? All the thought experiments I've read describing general relativity feature events that are chronologically simultaneous, but due to Lorentz contraction only seem to occur at different times.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    ytzk likes this.
  17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Hey y'all,
    Xyle, your theory of telepathy is a working one but you are still egotistical about it, claiming to be special and blaming others for every thought you don't want to own. Practise self awareness and maybe try "truth" instead of Jehova as a compass.
    Your physics theory is cute but nonsense.
    Get some sleep.

18. wayne-scales

Heh

ytzk likes this.
  19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Don't badmouth philosophy.

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media: