Miley Cyrus.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sleek_Jeek, Sep 24, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Who's the biggest crybaby?

1. Sinead O'connor - for slut shaming Miley Cyrus' risque antics.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Miley Cyrus - for firing back by comparing Sinead's past mental illness with Amanda Bynes' recent Dr

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. I hate all women, pop culture alienates me, and I do not understand the question.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think O'Connor's point was that Cyrus isn't expressing her sexuality, she's allowing herself to be expoited. As someone with a lot of experience in the music industry, O'Connor can probably spot the difference between genuine self-expression by the artist herself, and that which is driven by studio execs. That's why she isn't penning open letters to Lady Gaga or Beyoncé.

So she wasn't slut shaming, because her point wasn't "don't use your body to sell records", it was "think about what you're doing and make sure you're not blindly letting other people use your body to sell records".

tl;dr: refuted.

2. No.9

No.9 New Member

Yeah, this! Or something.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Indeed, I have a lot of respect for oconner as an artist, and it is obvious at a glance that whatshername is still waking up to herself.

I don't doubt that oconner had some insight to impart, and that whatshername defended her ego viciously despite what was written.

It's funny really how these kids who are so excessively popular are also so excessively insecure.

In an age when so many people are famous for no reason, and every high school kid is publishing videos and status updates about everything, being anonymous and obscure seems like a sweet deal.

Tl;dr - Justin Beiber was way hotter before the sex change.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Dears Smuel and ytzk,

I cannot help but feel you've missed the point of "tl;dr". (citation)

Regards,
    TheDavisChanger

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

No, I just figured if it were too long and they didnt read it, then they'd probably just prefer the crass humour anyway.

6. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I wish people would use my body to sell records.

7. No.9

No.9 New Member

No need to thank me... but you are welcome.

[​IMG]

8. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

In case anyone hasn't seen this little gem yet:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Lb3kFwJRQ[/youtube]

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Well I hadn't and now I have, thanks.

Also, now I've heard the music i can say definitively that it is shit.

Matters of taste aside, Sinead OConnor is a sublime vocalist, whereas whatshername sings like little orphan anny. In terms of timbre and harmonics, it's like the difference between Irish and American accents times a thousand.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re:

I'm pretty sure that accent thing is racist or something. So following in the rich internet tradition of getting offended on other people's behalf, I hereby notify you that I am outraged that you would dare to write such a barbarous slight.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Well if it prevents offense let me add that Australian accents have even more buzz saw nasal dissonance than American ones.

It's like we're trying to drown out cicadas or something.

I guess it may be a question of taste and cultural bias, but I have great respect for many female American vocalists of many styles.

Even Dolly Pardon's southern twang is a sweet tone compared to Myley Montana's off key yelling.

12. No.9

No.9 New Member

But everyone thinks Aussie accents are cute whereas no one thinks American accents are cute unless it's a southern thing and then it's sort of hillbilly adorable.

Not to be all look at me but I went to the Grammys one year and Miley and Taylor Swift did a duet and it was the craziest sing-off ever. It was like when Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson performed together at the Oscars. Painful lady competish.

13. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Yes, Miley should not have post these tweets that basically is an overview of the psychological problems that Sinead had in the past. The thing is that she only did it ONCE. Afterwards she never done anything else that could harm Sinead's reputation and 'career'. Bullying is when the offender makes its victim's life miserable by keep on making fun of this. Not that I trying to make things look better than it actually is, but this is what it meant.

Now, Sinead wrote her fourth (!) rant....huh...letter to Miley, literally accused her for one of the causes that people commit suicides over the years. Problem is....it is the 'fans' who are to blame. They told Sinead to commit suicide. It is never a good idea to go and blame someone for other peoples misdeeds. You probably will think, "Miley should better control her fans", but that is not true. She cannot control the actions of the fanaticism of certain fans all the time. It is mere impossible to predict of how people react on certain situations.

Sinead should stop posting letters. The first time already was very clear. More of these letters will only bring negative oil to the flame (or something in this trend). Both should know that are better ways to end this 'feud'. Talking to each othe in private. Not on social media where everyone can witness this escalated situation.

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Re:

this made me lol.

occasionally the American version...
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-0S-PnebJQ[/youtube]
    is more listenable than the irish...
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L2i7NCWoG4[/youtube]

Anyway I'd agree that "neutral sounding" (i'd call it 'broadcast culture quality') American accents aren't exactly adorable they are FAR removed some of the uglier European counterparts. I'd consider North American voices, even Central American voices significantly more comforting than any German, Austrian, Swiss, Swede, Finnish, Netherland, Icelandic, Norwegian, etc accents. Excluding Bjork's voice all that shit is nightmare fuel. If you disagree please share something.

Lots of mention of white southern accents, but what about northern black accents? Lauryn Hill has a particularly beautiful voice and way of speaking.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrLqs-NXulc[/youtube]

I know this is a very ignorant question but is there any good music from Australia?

15. No.9

No.9 New Member

Re: Re:

Oooh, a music question. I feel like I'm butting in... and showing my advanced age.

Old school: The Church, Early to late mid-80s INXS, Crowded House, Ratcat, Nick Cave

More recent: Tame Impala, Temper Trap

Also, since this is the Miley thread, I have to say I wish Sinead would shut up. She's lost her ground by not knowing when to stop.

16. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Well, Dolly Pardon is the exception, and I mostly revere older, black female vocalists. Some of them, although I'm too autistic to remember their names, (who performed with Paul Simon and Pink Floyd) evoke musical orgasms every time.

As to accents, I really only meant to compare timbre and harmonics in a way that is clear to laymen, but I guess there is cultural bias there too.

I think the quality of the tone used by american, black male lyrical tenors sounds like a strangled dwarf.

My background is a son of a sound technician who took voice lessons for years. I also sang in a choir which published three albums, toured overseas and opened the world symposium of choral music in the Sydney opera house.

I mention it because we were obliged to perform a lot of modern Australian choral music which apparently uses dissonance and cross rhythms to describe the landscape and indigenous culture, but it was mostly shit. Also, because look at me!

Nick Cave is a true bard, though.

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Oh hey, me too! Except I'm not from a musical family, or particularly musical myself, but I was in my school choir. And the modern music we sang was pretentious twelve tone nonsense, devoid of anything resembling a pleasant auditory experience, and featured stuff like when we would all hold a chord, and then simultaneously swap notes so that, as far as the audience was concerned we were still singing the same chord, but we knew that something had changed. It was our parents in the audience having to sit through it all that I felt sorry for.

So, er... look at ytzk!

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You shouldn't have killed Simon!

20. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Re: Re:

Cut Copy and The Presets (not their recent album, thought), if you're into the more electronic stuff.

Tame Impala were pretty damn good live, I might add.

Our Host!