Undignified Deaths

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Ruda, Apr 14, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

The title says it all. This is the thread where you can share the most embarrassing and humiliating in game deaths that you've ever experienced. Hopefully no one has done this before...
    Let's begin, shall we?

It was my very first playthrough and I had already made it to Shrouded Hills and started doing a few odd jobs there. Having just robbed the bank for my dear friend Jacob at the bar, I finally mustered the courage to speak with the giant next to him. Ol' Soggy wasn't too friendly, saying he didn't like me to much when I asked him to accompany me.

Like any true gamer, I searched the web whenever encountering an obstacle. You need charisma of 9 for Sogg to join you, the guide said, so I booted up my game again and checked my character sheet. Ah, charisma of 8 and 500 exp to the next level. So I left the bar, a bit tipsy, and started looking for defenseless targets that I could stomp to death.

Then I saw it! A little chicken, at the pitiful level of 1! I immediately ran after the poor bastard, looking carefully for any witnessess before proceeding with kicking the shit out of it. Little did my soon-to-be-dead dwarven brawler by the name of Bill know that the little chicken had friends. Before he knew it, every cock in Shrouded Hills ganged up on him and tore him a new one!

I've never even looked at chickens since...

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Cutting your own arm off after a critical fail is always quite amusing.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I once cut my own head off with a sword. Sadly, no further details are remembered.

5. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

It was somewhat funny to get slowly beaten to death when playing as mage for the first time and running out of fatigue while I had ordered my followers not to fight and then discovering I can't give commands (your character just grunts out some random carbage) when unconscious, but that is pretty much only thing I still remember after the years. Sadly no particularly exciting or embarrassing deaths on my last playtrough.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I always kill myself with a fist to the face. My own fist.

7. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

Re:

Is it actually possible to kill youself with critical failure at HTH-combat? Atleast when you beat chests etc. you can't die, but I'm not exactly sure if that applies to real combat. Never made fistfighter character myself, but it is an interesting idea. Can't remember ever dying when punching and kicking animals at chrash site either. I think I think I've scarred (I can't even imagine how that could happen IRL) myself few times by kicking those ailing wolves though. :roll:

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

My arm explodes off my body when I do it too.

9. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

After taking a sneak peek on the note from the Wellington my latest all-powerful mage was assaulted by Rorry Limes (I assume) and his thuggish friends. While the brawl starts out good (I burn the thugs with a combination of Entangle and Wall of Fire) I quickly find myself fatigued. Luckily, Limes is knocked unconscious by a critical miss and, bearing NamelessOne's mistake in mind, I decide to fight him without magick, since I assume that one's melee skill can't be so pitiful that one fails to stomp a passed out target to death.

Wrong! After two missed kicks and one (!) hit I manage to critically miss and pass out. Fortunately a mage's constitution tend to be greater than a thug's so I wake up before the brutish beast. Puh! Believing that it's impossible to fail twice in a row, I once again tried to finish him off. My great courage results in another critical fail and I pass out once again. This time Shakar, fed up with my incompetence, decides to support my opponent instead. Rorry wakes up from his slumber and kicks me to death.

Finally Virgil, who's still stuck outside the apartment on Low Dervish Road, rushes inside...

10. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I bet you did. Sorry - I couldn't help myself.

11. lonecourier

lonecourier New Member

Good lord, I don't even know where to begin.

-After a long night of problem solving (Read: Two hours of grinding random encounters), I finally got the nerve up to fight that gang at the Shrouded Hills Bridge. Ever so daringly, I light the fuse of the explosive grenade from the Crash Site and threw it at my own feet, killing me and my followers, not quite aware that no points in throwing meant becoming a braindead quadriplegic for a few seconds when trying to throw something, and often causing yourself to BECOME a braindead quadriplegic in the process.

-After a few (10+) failed attempts of fighting the gang at the bridge, I decided to suck it up and just pay the 1000 gold fee. Noting the city of Tarant in the middle of the riverbed, I set my destination and saw my night of efforts haven't gone to waste. The soothing, beautiful classical music calmed me as I started the wondrous behemoth that is Arcanum.

That is, I would have if moments after clicking the travel button, I wasn't attacked by a Grizzly Bear and 2 cubs.

-A few weeks ago, after seeing all the buzz about backstabbing from all the gravedug threads around here, I decided to give it a go. I put on my best Elegant Dress and Fine Steel Dagger and set off to kill some Ailing Wolves and Kite Scouts for the billionth time. I found my first victim, a kite scout on my way to the shaman. I maneuvered my way around it and readied my dagger. I took a swing...

...narrowly missed, stabbed myself in the stomach and bled to death.

-First time I got to Shrouded Hills, my hubris got the better of me and I tried to exit the town via the north path and ran into a wolf.

-Black Mountain Clan Mines. Enough Said.

Interestingly, these are all from Level 12 and under, when your character has the fighting prowess of a toddler.

12. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

13. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I'm intrigued how can that situation even happen (on normal gameplay) or was it just intentional and planned?

14. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I was aiding the orc riot in Tarant and ran around killing everything I could see. I had been in a particularly difficult fight and had very little health left, when suddenly! A wild Belle the sheep appeared and tore me to pieces. Needless to say I was right outside Madam Lil's, and quite surprised as well.

15. praetorian

praetorian New Member

in Caladon, I have seen the werewolf being killed by a bunny. I suppose that she critically missed, felt fatigued on the ground and the lvl1 bunny finished her.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Having butchered Stillwater and turned Virgil to the dark side, I thought my mage was industructable.

I scoffed at Joahim's puny threats and tapped the combat button for the wizard duel of the century...

but not before Joahim had loosed a Disintegrate spell.

GAME OVER MAN!

17. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

Don't mess with Stringy Pete. Just don't.

I've gotten scarred by rats in the Crash Site cave. I have picked a fight with Lukan's group as an Ogre with 20 strength, then died after running out of fatigue and falling unconscious.

I've gotten ambushed by Were Rats in the BMC mines while trying to kill Kites.

I have dominated an NPC, made him kill his friend,used create undead on the guy he killed, and use the zombie to kill him.

I have used nightmare against enemies, which made my allies go hostile for some reason, and they killed me.

I've also been betrayed by ranged followers during a random encounter if they start shooting before moving out of the same space I occupy. Apparently they think I'm attacking them or something, and go hostile. "Raven, I thought you loved me!"

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  19. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I once walked onto Velorien's altar by accident. Without saving!

20. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

I believe they call that schmuck bait. Oh look, a pedestal. *dies* What? Why? :eek:

Our Host!