Anyone has a good RPG to advise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by symban, Feb 23, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

2. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Oh, I can get it to work all right. Don't you worry about that, my friend.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I liked Freedom Force; though I got lazy when I played, saved up whatever the currency was to buy powers and then built an uber custom character who I blitzed the rest of the game with. No one could withstand the might of the awesome Bruce Flea.

For a game that's not an RPG but has a nice level of customisation Impossible Creatures is good. It's an RTS where your minions are two creatures you've smushed together, combining their body parts in any way you see fit. I used to fight my brother on it all the time, it was good fun.

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Tsk. Are you people that spoiled these days? I still can remember that in those days only plot and story were more important than graphic and sound. Heck, you had games which had almost no graphics and only had d for dog and D for Dragon.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Why read a book when the movie is quicker?

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It's understandable that a dragon gets a bigger D than a dog would. Have you seen how big they are?

7. symban

symban New Member

I added Wizardry 8 to my list of "to be played" Smuel, it was told by another friend of mine in the past but forgotten to be checked.

Well I could live with that change if it would make the game more consistent in terms of story development, but I checked out the demo and I was shocked to see that they removed all reality and consistency from the game mechanics.. Flanking melees, rouges trying to run behind enemies, unnatural magical skills being limited to mages.. all gone! Rouges are covered in a veil of shadow, throwing a single arrow raining it down as 100s of arrows, melee rouges teleporting behind enemies for backstab. No more positioning, and worst of all weapon sizes and swing speeds are ridiculous. Ah! sorry that was not the worst, enemies exploding on fatal hits leaving only their feet on the ground (like on Asterix the Roman soldiers leaving their shoes on the ground).. Also I can not get to choose what I will say anymore I can only choose "I want to say something serious/funny/scary".. It is really unbelievable how much they could ruin it.. Well at least 1 game is eliminated :)

Noted and added to list, thanks!
    I already played Lord of Magic for several years, it is really awesome, especially the choice of distributing resources between magic research and army. I used to play with dwarves all the time, I might get it again to try other races I guess. I will also check out other games you mentioned.
    Like Muro said, Icewind Dale is like a diablo on BG engine, no story direction, just follow it up and slay everything in path. I already played 1st one several times because I was trying impossible combinations (like team of 2 only instead of 6), and have IWD2 one but never played it as it is 3rd generation rule set and I am not motivated enough to learn it (at least for now).
    I play FF tactics on my NDS at toilet but I may give a try at this one :)
    If I can get over horrible looks of Deux Ex 1 (I really dont understand why they make crappy 3D games, instead of good 2D ones..) I want to play it.
    About other games you mentioned I will check them all out, thanks!

Muro by the way I strongly suggest BG 1 if you havent played. (unlike BG2) it is pretty close to an open world, where you can stray from main scenario path and explore around. While companion interaction is not deep enough, there are some good plots involving companions and alignments (like same companion NPC being the target of 2 different other companion quests;
    one is rescuing the damsel in distress, other slaying the nasty witch

Also, I remembered another awesome game I played for a very long time: Magic and Mayhem. There is no RPG content (you can not direct the story), BUT the story is awesome. Game mechanics? They utterly RULE! a very very small map with no borders, go to east and you will end up at west (each map is like a very very small planet). And Combat is really great. I suggest to anyone who havent come across it before.

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re:

+1
    +100

9. symban

symban New Member

I wondered why you would hate rouges that much, than I noticed my spelling sucks. Luckily the toilet covers that up quite nicely.

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Smuel doesn't hate rogues as much as you think. Pretty sure he's commenting on your confusing them with a type of make-up designed to add color to cheeks, rouge. You may as well be calling them reds.

11. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

12. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I'm pretty surprised no-one has mentioned New Vegas yet, even if I suspect everyone here has already played it. Anyway, I recommend it to anyone and have to say it's nothing like the farce of Fallout 3. Note that this one was made by Obsidian mostly. There is art from Beth and several Bethtardy things like unkillable kids (fixable by mod), but mostly it's Bethesda-free quality experience.

It has actually good amounts of Command & Conquer, original Fallout-feeling and mostly good writing. Shitty and buggy engine though, but with 4GB mod it shouldn't crash much.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

TheDavisChanger mentioned Fallouts and OP responded that he didn't like their atmosphere, so there wasn't much reason to recommend New Vegas to him.

14. werozzi

werozzi Member

Didn't he disliked first-person perspective also?

Our Host!