Backup of arcanum1.com?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, Dec 9, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Howdy everyone,

does anyone here have a (complete) backup of Sierra's old Arcanum website that was hosted at arcanum1.com (and sierrastudios.com/games/arcanum/)? I have managed to restore (and modernize) that website (using archive.org and warrick2), but it's not a complete mirror: http://arcanum1.game-alive.com/

What is missing: Those high-quality ad images in The Tarantian, screenshots of the week, hover image of Forums menu button, and possibly even more. If you do have a backup of that website, could you please upload it?

Thank you in advance. :hippy:

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

So essentially you invested your time and effort to set up a site that has been available for years on terra-arcanum.com/sierra/?

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

I'm aware of that mirror. The problem is that it's not 100% complete, plus no one has ever updated it.

I want to make that website alive and popular once again, so I've modernized it and converted it to PHP powered website, so it's now easy to maintain and to add a new content.

Cheers.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

This is kind of ironic considering the stink you kicked in the other thread about copying things.

5. Crypton

Crypton Member

I didn't steal the website from Sierra and I don't pretend that I've created that website, the Sierra's copyright notice is still in the footer of the front page, plus I've restored that website by myself using warrick2 and archive.org.

So how is that similar to what Drog did?

6. werozzi

werozzi Member

Crypton, don't start an argument again please.

I think what you're doing is noble in intention, yet it might be lacking a real purpose, there is few people that still play Arcanum, all of them are already here or in other small forums as well, so giving them a website based on things common and daily seems to me a waste of effort.
    Anyway, i desire you luck, mister.

7. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

I remember that website when I first started playing, It was neat to poke around. The value of having it around is small but the value is there. Thanks for the nostalgia. Good luck with it.

Our Host!