It's almost over.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Oct 19, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Had a disturbing dream about my ex last night. She looked really sick, but she started accusing me of bullshit and I called her on it despite the circumstances. For some reason I was hanging around where she was in spite of how angry I was. I end up leaving finally after lambasting her, and the dream ends with her saying,

"But, I still love you!"

The first thing I thought when I had sorted the dream out is she's fading from my mind, and I'm fairly conscious of that. The reason the dream ended the way it did is most likely because she hurt me and I want the satisfaction of hurting her too, by ignoring how she feels.

It's odd stuff, I think, and the first satisfying dream related to my past I can recall.

In saying this, I'm also curious as to what dreams any of you have had that (clearly enough for you) said you were successfully moving on?

2. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I thought dreams were meant to prepare you for unknown events, so I guess your dream could mean that your current, natural reaction to a similar situation would be dismissal.

Haven't had any break-up dreams at all, but that might just be because I've managed to avoid that kind of drama in my life.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had any sort of closure dreams in the past. Last dream I had members of my immediate family turned into monsters and were trying to kill me - dreams like that are always the best kind. I don't know what to make of that either seeing as the previous weekend where I'd seen said family members I had a really good time. I was on medication last year that as a side effect caused bad dreams and even now I'm off it I have incredibly weird, vivid and fucked-up dreams on a regular basis.

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I recommend you talk to a therapist about this.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Better yet, talk to an analyst-therapist.

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

7. Grossenschwamm

I've seen a lot of theories and hypotheses about the purpose of dreams, and I don't think any one theory or hypothesis accurately describes what dreams are "supposed" to be. In light of your post, however, I think the dream purpose you described also fits the nature of my dream. Also, congratulations on not having relationship drama, because that's all it ever is.

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

9. Transparent Painting

Yeah, they really managed to create something different with a (seemingly) small budget.

10. Jojobobo

A therapist won't have nothing on me when I have a mutant superhuman child begot of incest. That's clearly how the X-men were made.

11. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re:

Dreams are your conscious mind trying to make sense of a random collection of memories and thoughts that bubble around during REM sleep. They aren't "supposed" to be anything. If you're pre-occupied by or recently experienced a certain thing, then that thing is more likely to feature in your dreams, because it's more likely to be in one of the bubbles.

It's not really any more complicated than that.

12. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Pff. You must be working too hard or something, English. Take a day off and clear your head.

13. Zed Blacksword

Zed Blacksword New Member

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I... suppose a welcome back is in order.

15. Transparent Painting

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

• You see: Visitor from the past.
    • His cloths and hairstyle seem oddly out of place.
    • He looks: Unhurt.

17. Jojobobo

Goddamnit, why do the tabloids these days always take such an interest in my life?

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

Why haven't I paid more attention to Ugandan news?

19. Grossenschwamm

Re: Re:

That's another dream theory, though, and if you follow what you quoted of mine;

The way dreams work, one theory might apply to one group, another might apply to another - there are hundreds of competing theories about what a dream actually is. The only thing we can really agree on is what happens physically - rapid eye movement, and musculoskeletal paralysis. My own dreams don't follow things I think about during the day, or even things I've recently experienced most of the time. And considering the metaphorical nature of dreams, and how much you dislike metaphors, I can tell how curious you are about them. Though, what you said perfectly explains your dream of TDC.

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re: Re:

There aren't different groups of dreams, and dreams aren't metaphors for anything. Seems to me you're buying into the bullshit propagated by "dream interpretation experts". Frauds and charlatans the lot of them!

Our Host!