An Eye For An Eye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, May 29, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

While I do believe acting like a dick promotes people to act in kind to you, it doesn't mean to say it always happens. Sometimes people like that lead the nice comfortable lives they don't deserve - though I'm not implying these workmen are quite on the scale of not deserving a good life just based on them being dickish to me.

2. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Haven't you ever heard the saying, "Those who live by the dick, die by the dick."?

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

You keep saying, 'plenty of bad people get away with it.'

Are you sure about that? Know these people well, do you?

Let's say your antagonists never get beat up, never even get humiliated. They are still punished by living inside a mind where weakness or differences are attacked without mercy, where there is no compassion only cruelty.

No doubt they will surround themselves with like-minded people and bully and bravado their way through to the end of their days.

Even if the tension of living in a world of image-conscious, social sharks doesn't trickle down into their physiology and manifest as disease in later life, they will definitely be all alone in their heads when they lay dying.

Then, even if they are rich and live to a ripe old age surrounded by weeping family and assorted supermodels, they will be well and truly alone and afraid and even more so because their mind cannot allow for compassion or mercy. They will be punishing themselves sooner or later.

The best revenge, imo, is to give your enemies enough rope...

4. Jojobobo

I wish!

Know of course I don't know any of these people who are horrible and have decent lives, I'm basing it on my own half-cocked world view like most people would. As a historical example, I'd say Al Capone had things pretty sweet - apart from the eventual syphilis; and that was only because he was allegedly afraid of needles that he didn't get it treated so it was more or less his own choosing.

I really don't think those who have "no compassion" are aware of the fact they don't - and because they're ignorant of this they probably feel just fine most of the time, either when trying to get to sleep at night or lying on their death bed.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It's not a question of feeling guilty, it's creating a "half-baked world-view" where people are cruel to each other.

They will see a world full of people like themselves, and that would suck.

6. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  8. Jojobobo

Well if you can predict the random happenings in my life wayne then hats off to you, you are the man.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I believe in an eye for an eye. If a girl goes down on me I usually go down on them.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Australian accents are funny. Over here we call that an O for an O.

11. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Oh, Smuel, ain't that the truth?

Reading an Agony Aunt the other day - bad people keep doing what they do because they go unpunished. So is the 'eye-for-an-eye' policy so that you can make sure they are punished for what you believed is wrong?

12. Jojobobo

If I had have done anything, that would have been the crux of it for me yes. I don't believe it's acceptable for people to go around acting like wankers to others consistently, and even if it isn't criminal I don't think it's any less worthy of punishment. Still I suppose the downside in these situations is that all you achieve is personal satisfaction; people won't realise why something bad happened to them and so won't learn anything from what you did anyway. Also I guess in situations like this the old adage of being no better than them applies, all I'd had been doing was something cruel and taking satisfaction from it.

It just bothers me that most people around where I live fail to extend basic human kindness to others - and I'm not just referring to the roofers, for whatever reason most people here are rude or just plain hostile. As a few other examples when a uni friend first moved into his house a few days after moving he saw someone slashing someone else's tires a few streets over when he was walking to his bus stop. He also was out jogging one day and a group of about 6 tramps pushed him in a cannal because they thought it would be funny. There's something wrong with this city, and honestly I can't wait to get away after I'm done with uni here.

13. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

I was just conversing with my mother, and we both agreed that people who buy cigarettes are the nicest customers, because they have to ask me to find it for them at Service desk. They only consist of about 30% of customers my store has to deal with - about 50% for me - but they really make my day.

The rest of the customers are dicks because they can. Service is mostly a chance for them to exert some control and dominance over us submissive drones, and some people can be quite horrid. The number of times I've seen the checkout chicks having a quiet cry before going home makes me want to punch some of the customers in the face.

There's something wrong with humanity altogether, love, but it's the way that we bear it that makes a difference. I've had people congratulate me as I handled a particular difficult customer without batting an eyelash, all because she read (THE MOST OBVIOUSLY) wrong price for a tin of baked beans. I've managed to convince people to take their anger out on Rhonda-the-Self-Service-Checkout rather than the poor checkout chick who has been flooded with difficult customers. I've had customers bare their souls to me after I managed to figure out why they are so frustrated at whatever problem the store appears to have.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who likes to change the world, one tiny step at a time, and I've also learned that I must do this without exhausting myself emotionally.

One even that has stuck in my mind was in the year I was graduating high school. A friend of mine with sever Napoleon syndrome started throwing rubbish towards a group of particularly grotty freshmen. When I asked her why she was doing that, she said it was because when she was a freshman, the graduates did the exact same thing to her. I then said, "But these are completely different people. What have these kids ever done to you?"

TL;DR: I guess people are dicks because the opportunity simply presents itself. And, if they can get away with it, nothing bad actually happened, and *they* can move on with their lives.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm only a dick when I think it would be funny.

15. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That would indicate you think it's funny quite often.

That's a good question, and I too look forward to the answer.

I'm sorry you're not more physically imposing, though this does give you an opportunity to flex your wit. Which side is the gas door on? You could pry it open and dump some sugar into it. Either that or piss in it, because it does double-duty. You relieve your bladder and quell your anger in one go, plus the rush from wondering if you'll get caught is pretty awesome.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The goal is to get revenge on the guys, not to have sex with their car.

18. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

19. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Can you tell me how it's not the same thing?

20. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Servicing someone's automobile doesn't sound very vengeful to me...

Our Host!