J.R.R Tolkien and Arcanum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ring lord, Nov 17, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. elrond93561

elrond93561 New Member

I found him!!!!

Go to search then Type in "Elrond"

You see he did exist!

I did not lie!
    :p
    :minigun:

2. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

I agree that the stock fantasy elf is a shadow of Tolkien's. It's curious to see where the stock fantasy writers have copied or been divergent, though.

Right, the shoemaker elves are pixie-ish because they come from nursery stories. Tolkien was tapping older, less 'sanitized' traditions because he felt there was a disingenuousness about the childrens' stories that were all cute and talking animals and no danger or mystery. In a way, I think he was reacting against the Victorian era's move to create this idea of childhood that co-opted earlier literary genres/styles. Complete with the famous fairy hoax where some photographer doctored photos of these litle pixies flitting around an English garden. Cute and quaint were not words Tolkien would countenance to have used as descriptors for Faery.

Interesting call on Puck and Titania. Even Shakespeare understood that there is a wild, capricious, even dangerous element to faeries, elves and the like. But yes, Tolkien may have been the first to channel that into a civilised power and culture.

3. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Go into the profiles section of the forum and follow a link to one of our profiles and email or PM from there. Alternatively you can email direct from any message by us, just click on the email icon at the bottom of the appropriate message. Calis is the best one to talk to about staffing issues, but I don't think we have any needs right now. If you've got scripting experience, etc. though, let him know, that may help make the sell.

Also, if you'd like to write up a walkthrough or submit additions to the T-A walkthrough feel free. Credit will be given if the work is accepted.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

You lost me at disingenuousness :grin:

i THINK you're saying that tolkien wanted to write about scary fairies, not tricksy pixies ...

am i right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-11-21 14:43 ]</font>

5. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Not scary -vs- tricksy
    rather
    powerful -vs- cute
    and
    serious -vs- trivial

6. Sheriff Fatman

Yeah, but you try thinking of a synonym for elf that rhymes with 'powerful' :eek:

7. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

Awesomerful?
    :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oyarsa on 2001-11-21 19:59 ]</font>

8. Sheriff Fatman

9. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

That's all nice and i'm happy that my topic became so popular, BUT...
    what the hell is the connection to my question???(the first post)

10. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

So do you think its an homage or wholesale rip-off?

11. Calis

Calis Member

You send an e-mail to me telling me what exactly you'd like to do, and why I should give you the ftp passwords and such to our site.
    No. The only three restrictions are:
    1. You need to be able and willing to put some time into helping out with the site
    2. You need to have at least one or two skills that help make you a good staff member.
    3. You need to be able to behave in a somewhat mature manner. We're a fansite. That means you can get away with more stuff than on a "professional" site, but some of the things you will do will still reflect back on the rest of us, and we'd rather not take in people who make us look bad. :smile:

Also, the part of Oyarsa's post about sending in stuff still stands. If you've got anything cool and would like to see it posted on the site, just send it in. If it's something other Arcanum fans will consider fun and/or useful, we'll post it (with full credit). It's as simple as that.

Our Host!