Diablo 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Jun 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

The DRM and auction house make me no less likely to purchase (or otherwise acquire) the game. I never got into the Diablo franchise.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

3. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

The "offline" thing is what puts me off the most. I wont buy anything from their auction house and I'm not that interested in playing online. Maybe runs something on LAN like D2, but if I can't do that, I most probably wont buy it.

Will stick to Deus ex, ME3, BF3 and Dota 2 for my daily computer addiction.

4. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna keep playing Dwarf Fortress on my laptop for ten more months.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I have dwarf fortress just sitting here, I'm not sure if I'm game enough to try it. I might find out I'm not as smart as I thought I was!

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

If there's no offline single player, I won't buy it. I have no interest in communicating/gaming in a world filled with mentally incapacitated douchebags.

7. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

The fact that you keep posting here implies quite the opposite.

8. DarkFool

So long as you have an account, I suppose so.

9. Grossenschwamm

Ok, I said Sims before, but seriously,. I was looking forward to Diablo 3 when I heard there'd be a monk class. This cash run online auction house kinda puts me off. I mean sure, it's real money for fake things, but then again, the money we use in the real world is primarily used to buy things that are fake. It's creating a job where the only skills required are searching and killing, kindof like being a bounty hunter, only with a happy ending 24 7. Ok, I kinda like the idea.

10. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Monks always seem like they're going to be really cool, but in practice I find that they're a bit of a disappointment. For me, part of the appeal of an RPG is getting new equipment and weapons. The monk class usually has severe restrictions on these, so effectively half the fun is taken away if you play as a monk.

It's nice to have one in a party of 6+ characters though.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yes. Monks do always seem like they're going to be really cool but in practice are a bit diappointment. The cash online auction house puts us off because of money for fake things like in the world we pay money for fake things. The monk gets severe restrictions on gear and people prefer to blame moslums instead of their neighbours.

12. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Trolling does always seem like it's going to be really cool, but in practice I find that it's a bit of a disappointment.

13. Charonte

Charonte Member

Truly, we need a 'like' button on these forums.

14. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Nah, just copy and paste every post that you like into your signature, like this:

15. Grossenschwamm

I bought a small key-lime cheesecake that turned out to be a cheesy, lime flavored pudding with a crust.

16. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

17. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

18. DarkFool

If I didn't already have three quotes, I'd add this whole post.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I don't get why people get all up in arms about the no offline single player. You can still essentially play a single-player game by making a game with a password such that nobody can get it. Pirating games is a huge deal and the best way to do it without retarded DRM is to require a login/password system. Blizzard already has such infrastructure in place. It worked pretty well for Starcraft 2, a game I thoroughly enjoyed (and still do). I can see this being an issue if it's 1999 and you're still using a 56k modem that takes up your phone line. Everyone else that is bitching about it is just looking for an excuse to complain in my opinion.

Additionally, those that played D2 any time after the 1.10 synergy patch knows that botting and illegitimate sites were a HUGE problem. Games you created were suddenly joined by 4-5 bots that spammed the shit out of chat and filled up slots for actual humans. The login system combined with the virtual AH works quite nicely against this behavior.

Don't like the AH? Don't use it. I'm guessing you can likely play the entire game by yourself online in private games without ever seeing anybody else. Refusing to play the game because someone somewhere might be trading for items is like refusing to play baseball because somebody somewhere is using steroids to hit home runs.

If you want to be worried about something, worry about core gameplay. Did WoW-style gameplay contaminate this genre? Is this genre even going to be fun to play being aged 10 years (Torchlight didn't do it for me for some reason)? Are the classes going to be balanced and awesome? No modding means awesome shit like the Eastern Sun mod won't be able to happen, which saddens me. These are the things I'm worried about.

20. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Everything in your first paragraph would make sense, Philes, if only the following things weren't reality:

1) In rural areas, people really are still limited to 56k modems that take up their phone lines.

2) Games using login/password system DRMs still get pirated. Everything Ubisoft has put out since they introduced the tactic is on Piratebay. Go look yourself if you don't believe me.

3) In 10 years, the date you are looking to in your final paragraph, there is a possibility I may not be able to play the game at all because the company has shut down their server and it is impossible to login. In this case, my only hope, even if I have a legally purchased copy of the game, is to get a crack. Yep.

4) Starcraft 2, as with most Blizzard games, was spared from obscene levels of pirating because it is primarily focused on a league multiplayer component. You can't get the full experience unless you buy the game at the store.

5) You had to login to get onto Battle.net in the first place. Battle.net was never, at any point, spared from swarms of bot programs. There were legitimate bots used to keep channels open, spam bots used to annoy people, and, after a while, bots which hosted custom maps. Each of these bots were running off their own CD-Key. Yes, that's right, it took a retail purchase of the game for these bots to get in, but people did it anyway. Why will this login screen prevent this?

6) I would like to think that I can load up a game I purchased when the internet is down, or when I have just moved into a new place and it has not been set up yet, or if I am doing research in the Far North and all I have for entertainment is a laptop plugged into an oil generator.

Our Host!