The size of this video is 4 kilobytes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Jun 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    <object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_YWMGuh15nE?version=3&amp;hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_YWMGuh15nE?version=3&amp;hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard New Member

3. Dark Elf

Media:
    I call Witcher 2 on maxed graphics with a Vodoo 2.

4. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

That's 4000 characters written in Notepad.
    One page in MS Word filled with letter 'a'.
    Witchcraft it is!

5. Xyle

Xyle Member

Interesting vid.
    Started off boring, so I let it the sound play in the background. Then when the music changed, I brought the vid back to front and found the rest intriguing enough to finish watching.

6. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Video info feed is telling me it's going at 500 kbps, and it isn't done downloading yet.

8. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

My guess is that it's what we used to call a "4K intro" in the olden days, but I've been out of the scene so long that I have no idea how the cool kids describe it today.

Also, it would be 4096 bytes, not 4000.

9. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

The 'youtube version' is heavier because it's in mp4, but the file that generated this video is 4k.

10. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The Earth version of Grakelin can't fly, but the version that generated it could fly.

11. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

It's more like Grakelin can't fit inside a cubic micrometer, but the DNA instructions to create Grakelin can fit inside a cubic micrometer.

12. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

No, I think an ovum is bigger then a cubic micrometre (seeing as it is 120 µm in diametre). Might just be me, though.

And what do you mean by "generated"? Do you mean a file contained instructions for a program that rendered the video and audio? Because in that case it is possible, though the video file would be bigger then 4kB, because other files are needed.

13. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

Perhaps it was in a special video format that youtube couldn't recognize to upload, so they had to convert it to an .mp4, which increased the filesize?

14. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

It's an .exe
    Therefore, they started it and recorded the screen with some screen capture software. Probably.

As I understand, there is no textures or any models. Everything is 'fake' and is written in some fancy words and numbers that mortals most probably don't understand.

15. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

An ovum is mostly nutritive protein. The DNA content is much smaller.

Of course, it is disingenuous to claim that everything needed to generate the video was contained inside that 4K executable file, because it will make use of a vast amount of external graphical library code that comes shipped with modern graphics cards. Ten years ago you couldn't have done that in 4K, because you'd need to write most of the rendering code yourself. It would have had to go into the 64K intro bracket, instead.

It's still impressive though.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Could coding like this be used for games and other applications though? Explain to a Luddite why not.

17. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

It is used in games. It's basically the same kind of thing, except here they've optimized for code size, whereas with games they optimize for fun.

18. Charonte

Charonte Member

Spore is a prime example of a procedurally generated game. Second Life similarly so, but on a somewhat lesser level - the majority of content is streamed to clients on the fly.

So yes it's possible, but with the amount of development that goes into it and the astoundingly cheap cost of storage there hasn't really been a need for it. Most MMO's don't need to make use of the technology due to only passing down small packets of data detailing what has changed since the last time interval.

Also, an MS Word file with one page full of characters != 4096 bytes; MS-Word bloats files out to fuck and back with formatting/region information etc. Also, unicode.

At the end of the day though, it's just math. Which computers tend to be somewhat efficient at, ironically.

19. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

Yeah, I know that. I just c/p text from notepad and it filled one full page in Word just to picture myself how miserably small amount of text that is.
    Still, pretty impressive.

Our Host!