Tell Me About Some Good Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Jun 23, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The problem for me was when they told my Toreador character to fuck off, die, and restart because they didn't have time for the last third of the game to feature more than just a straight up combat fest.

Seriously, all the random stuff you do in Santa Monica before you even sneak into the warehouse to plant the Astrolyte is great. You can even pull it off without killing anybody, I'm pretty sure (on my last playthrough, I didn't even knock out any of the thugs in the shack, I just slipped on in).

But then you start to notice there are boss fights everywhere, difficult ones. They are hidden in side quests at first, but as you progress in the main questlne, you are suddenly bombarded with them. Suddenly, your socials mean nothing. You reroll as Brujah or Gangrel and go win the game.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Troika are remembered for making games that included some of the most mindblowing content ever to be seen in the CRPG market, but sadly their nigh-eponymous number of games always shipped with devastating flaws. Bloodlines is certainly not an exception, and I cringe whenever I think of the arcade-like beat 'em up it devolved to come endgame.

The Oceanside hotel may very well be one of the best quests I have ever played - actually managed to scare me shitless to the point where I had to complete the quest on a bright sunny day in July like some basement-dwelling dolt - but I guess it's almost impossible for any mainstream developer to maintain that level of quality over the course of an entire game without pissing the publisher off. Digital entertainment is a business, and lukewarm shit unfortunately has a better ROI than time-consuming masterpieces.

Have yet to play The Witcher 2, but other than that there is not a single game in CRPG department that I'm looking forward to, the possible exception being Age of Decadence. Indie developers is where it's at, I suppose.

3. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

http://www.gaslampgames.com/

Dungeons of Dredmor. Loosely related to roguelikes. But with production value. And it's gonna be dirt cheap. Also: Cheese. And lutefisk. All the lutefisk in the world.

Edit: Also I remember greatly enjoying Divine Divinity. Till I lost the disk. Man, should have just cracked it. Ah well.

4. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I played a great deal of NFS: Porche Unleashed back in the day. It's a bit arcade-y but the horrific damage you could do to your car makes it a far more rewarding option than today's bumper-shunt, nitro-powerslide-assisit, no-damage-model handholders. Riding the edge of control at 250 kph, while aiming to shave one more second off your best run, knowing that one error would lead to a $53,000 repair bill...good times. And to be in first place at the end of a race, having hit nothing...all EA's subsequent forays simply can't compare.

Another bloody timesink was SimCity 3000. Give me a game that lets me tweak infrastructure and you won't see me for a week...or four...or several months...I only uninstalled it when Simcity 4 came along.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me Dark Elf, I had to wait till a bright sunny day when I knew my parents were in the house to complete that mission.

Our Host!