In Defense of the Combat System

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by UniversalWolf, Nov 5, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

Even though my post was ironic, I think that's too harsh a statement. If you enjoy character building, Lionheart can be a lot of fun. You do have to get the hang of the game and system though, don't expect to finish the game with the first character you create. It could have been a genuinely great game if they had been given more time.

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Lionheart is a very tedious and long dungeon crawl with stupidly overpowered monsters (basically if you don't build your character in a certain, very specific way, then you're screwed). Very few people have enough patience and/or stamina to go through it.

But the beginning in Barcelona was pretty nice, I can give you that. But it was also very deceiving, since the actual game is just a poorly done Diablo clone. It's like they wanted to do a proper RPG initially, but then said "fuck it, let's just make some cheap H&S". As the result, it got very poor reviews and most RPG fans hated it (the game was hyped a lot before the release so many felt deceived).

3. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

That's what I meant. IMO your character needs a way to quickly kill strong bosses, one way to dispatch mobs, and one way to protect/ heal himself. This means that most of the characters that were included with the game won't even be able to finish it. I personally love to design characters, so that is what appeals to me about the game. I also love the fact that fights are less cartoonish than in most action RPGs.

I really think this was due to the game being rushed, since they were pressured by Interplay into releasing it as Interplay itself was going down the drain. If there had been a little more content in the game and better balancing, it could have been so much better. Of course it begs the question why they didn't just stick with turn based combat for which SPECIAL was intended to be used anyway; maybe they thought there was no market for that anymore. And yes, expectations were pretty high as I recall. I must admit that I myself flamed the devs on the message board unnecessarily :p

4. sam12six

sam12six New Member

I've always played in turn-based (mostly because I prefer using guns).

The only problem I have with the mechanics of combat is that closing range is so easy. There should be some way to get in a couple shots before the baddies are in your face (some way besides taking a haste potion and using half your ap to run away).

As far as NPC control, I'd actually like LESS control. It would give the NPCs more personality. Imagine an incredibly useful tech follower who runs like hell anytime there's an encounter. This would also open the option of having a leadership skill to allow followers to take your orders over their natural inclination.

If they did this (along with a casting skill based on intelligence), combat would be much more interesting. Throw in attack speed based on a gestalt of your applicable skill (i.e. firearms for guns) plus the weapon's intrinsic speed and you'd be looking at a much more satisfying experience (or at least I would).

5. Eldritch Magelord

Eldritch Magelord New Member

over the years Ive heard the combat system probably attacked the most of all aspects. Whats funny is that most also talk about how they tend to be xp hungry and want to do all the killing themselves. This is very easy to do. I myself rarely need do more then throw a fireball or two to win any random encounter and perhapsa few mixed up harms and maybe a jolt or two depending on how mobs may move.

Though not fully if you perma dom lianna pel dar and give her the bangellion scourge along with all dex/speed boosts you can she will cut her way through a hoarde in a blink of an eye.

6. symban

symban New Member

Apparently you havent get Vollinger yet in your plays. I really enjoy when there is an encounter all my followers (including Jayna in her elegant dress) rushes to enemies, while Vollinger runs away.

Our Host!