armor choices for mage followers of tech characters

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Machinegun Willie, Aug 16, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Machinegun Willie

Machinegun Willie New Member

When you are a tech, is it worth it to give the magic armor you find to your mage-type characters such as Virgil or Dante? Or does your being a tech screw with the armor too much due to your proximity? Or does it even bother it?

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

If you play a tech heavy character you probably won't want someone like Virgil or Dante around as they would just waste mana failing to heal you.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The strength of enchanted armour is dependent on the magickal aptitude of the wearer, which in turn is not affected by the technological aptitude of their companions.

You may have noticed that aptitudes sometimes changes inexplicably. This is because certain areas have particularly strong magick/technological fields. Strolling in Quintarra or inspecting a locomotive would likely net you a 20 point increase towards either magick or technology, as long as you remain in that area.

4. Machinegun Willie

I had Dante for only a few minutes. Didn't realize I would lose him when I got back to Dernholm. I picked up Jayne instead. I give her and Virgil bandages to heal me.

5. Machinegun Willie

That's great. I've been holding on to some magical chainmail and weapons just in case. Does tech armor such as dwarven gauntlets and featherweight chainmail work on mage characters as standard armor?

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    Unless you want your life to be very interesting, have your mages stay clear of anything technological. Wearing such things as a mage greatly increases your risk of critical failure.

It just struck me though, that a mage who only ever use spells and never use any skills that carry a risk of critical failure COULD use technological armour without suffering any adverse effects (other than missing out on provided abilities such as the perception bonus from Goggled Helmets and the like). However, if your MA is high enough you'd be better off using arcane gear anyhow.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Nietzsche Poster Child is a fairly simple background to bust out as a mage. Though its useless once you hit max level as I tend not to use hacks and mods.

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

How does all of that work? I haven't played Arcanum in months and I have yet to play with a character specializing in magic, but I have seen the "Magic Power Available" tag on magical items. Is this Magic Power like extra fatigue that a character can tap into when casting spells? In the case of armor, does having a high magical aptitude improve its protective qualities?

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    No, the extra fatigue is stored in items like arcane staffs and daggers. That amount is static; an arcane staff always contains 80 extra mana. The "magick power available" figure represents the percentage of an item's enchantment bonus available to that character. Let's say you have a suit of magick armour that has a potential DR bonus of 10. A character with a low MA may perhaps only have a "magick power available" of 20%, meaning that the bonus he receives to DR is a mere 2.

Well, that's how I think it works anyway.

10. Machinegun Willie

oops, I meant for followers like Virgil. If I played a mage. i'd stay strictly to magickal equipment because I'll be doing more than heal spells.

11. Machinegun Willie

That seems accurate. I gave Virgil a charmed ring and it shows 55%. Gave Sogg some enchanted chainmail and it showed a mere 8%. So I took it from him and sold it so I could spend more time at Madam Lil's.

12. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

That's strange. Shouldn't magical power be 50% in the case of a magic/tech neutral character? That 8% suggest heavy tech aptitude; also 55% seems low for Virgil.
    Anyway, always give the best magical equipment to the best mages, and avoid equipping tech stuff on them, the increased chance of a critical failure can be, well, crippling.

Good job :D See if you can loot more, it's definitely for a good purpose.

13. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

I love that in Arcanum you can critically fail and blow your own eye out. That sort of originality and limitation just would not with gamers these days.

14. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Maybe it's different with the UAP, but in vanilla Arcanum Virgil's magickal aptitude stays at nine even when he gets up to Great Heal.

With an MA that low, some magickal items don't work that well. In my current game, Virgil is wearing a set of Charmed Plate Mail and it only has 55 percent magick power available.

I don't get why Sogg would get that eight percent result. It should be somewhere around 48 to 50.

Unless Machinegun Willie meant to say Magnus?

15. Machinegun Willie

It was Sogg. Didn't want Magnus. Before the Great Hard Drive Crash of '05, I was playing vanilla Arcanum and got sick of him threatening to leave all the time. I took the little fella to Madam Lil's, all the bars, bought him nice equipment, complimented his beard, and he still kept complaining. I assume the UAP fixed a lot of that, but I just can't stand him now.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    No, it doesn't work like that. It depends on how powerful the item is. I don't know the specifics, but it's not as simple as 50% available for neutral characters, 0% for 100 TA and 100% for 100 MA.

17. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Weak items like charmed platemails and such have the highest magic power available for characters with weak or no magic auras. The more powerful the enchantment gets, the greater the magic aura necessary to gain it's boons.

18. Lukan

Lukan New Member

Yes and what matters is the adjective prefix

"charmed" requires little aptitude to unlock the item's full potential
    "magick" requires more
    "arcane" requires the most

I missed a few prefixes but you can look them up

Our Host!